Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Jul 9, 2021.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Just talked to Posies about a spring I've had on order for at least 4 months. Guy said they had over 4000 springs to do? I'm finding more shortages in the hot rod parts pipeline. Will this become a way of life?

olscrounger likes this.
  2. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Within the last month I got a call from a friend about a BBC part he couldn't find locally and "out of stock" online. The only thing I could suggest was a distributor (1 hour away) that might still have one in inventory. They had one. I would call everyone you can think of.
    On the other hand, it may be a way of life going forward. It may also mean higher prices.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Making stuff is hard work. not many folks seem too interested in doing it these days.

I think we'll have to get used to it.

4. mickeyc

mickeyc

Wow, 4,000 springs seems like a really large amount. I wonder if Posies
    is perhaps moving into the general spring supply market. Maybe truck
    and commercial vehicles market. If so it seems that there would be quite
    a bit more volume demanded than hot rod builders. This could push hot
    rod parts to a less prominent position in the customer base.

clem and chevyfordman like this.

5. Stooge

Stooge

I had been pretty fortunate since my main project Buick doesnt have too many new parts going on it, but the last few weeks looking for some aftermarket stuff for the Edsel with a BBF, was a quick slap to the face with quite a few 6+ week lead times.
    The owner of a Plymouth coupe i've been working on a bit, ordered a new pair of leaf springs from Posies in the last few months/definitely in '21, and he seemed to have them within a week or 2. Maybe there was a big influx since then, or just got lucky and those specific ones were in stock at the time.

V8Vic likes this.
  6. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I have a two week backorder on a Holley double-pumper kit. A lot of things we took for granted not long ago are becoming scarce at the present. Not surprising, considering the events over the past year. Let's just hope it gets better. Much much better.

Joe

7. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Posie's uses a spring manufacturer. They do not produce their springs in-house

HemiDeuce and chevyfordman like this.
  8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, that would indicate their supplier is backed up; short of help; short of materials?

clem likes this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

As busy as every parts supplier has been the last year and a half, the ones I’ve talked to anyways, I would assume that any vendor stash of inventory has been depleted which causes part of the lag I’d assume.

there’s no full warehouse ti fill the gap between what’s going out and what’s going in.

I’m seeing all sorts of shortages not just in car stuff. And not just domestic stuff

Joe Travers and Tman like this.
  10. One of our fellow HAMBers works in the Industry. One day they had 1200 rotors on backorder and the next it was 3200. It is only going to get worse. China just shut down a port due to the virus.

11. 2935ford

2935ford

The P demic has cause a lot of disruption. Hopefully things can get back to more normal soon and get things flowing again but......I expect higher prices! :(
    I feel lucky that my builds are done and am now at the maintenance level, so ordering parts is minimal! :)

Stogy likes this.
  12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Try finding outdoor and camping gear, good buildable wood that’s not overpriced and only partially kiln dried, used cars or leased cars can now be sold for profit (seriously)
    My brother just sold his lease car ready for its end of lease turn in and received an 8000.00 check from Carvana
    It’s really a screwed up world right now. And us Americans complain…I can’t even imagine what it takes to get product when your in another country.

1935ply, chevyfordman and Tman like this.
  13. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Just shows, sadly, how much we rely on overseas parts and suppliers......

14. Rckt98

Rckt98

It is fucked worldwide. Here in New Zealand there is a building boom happening and a huge shortage of timber, most of which is grown and processed here. Old car prices have gone through the roof, I put that down to not being able to travel overseas (and Kiwis love to travel), so people have more disposable income.

Petejoe and mgtstumpy like this.
  15. I work for an equipment manufacturer and we are having supply issues on about everything...even stupid stuff like common nuts and bolts. The supply chain (both domestic and overseas) is a mess that seems to be a somewhat delayed reaction from all the shutdowns over the past year as well as what squirrel mentions...

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

this subject has been covered over & over - I have built rides and made orders from two different suppliers because no absolute guarantee when I would get it - yes, expensive way to go - and selling extra parts is a money loser too - but, if on a deadline gotta do what ya gotta do - have a friend that has been waiting for months for furniture with no delivery time guarantee

17. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know we are getting OT , but in NZ i was at a tool supply shop and a customer ordered a lathe . Yes we can supply that, but not until September 2022!!!!!! They haven’t even built the cars yet that they need to melt down to make the lathe.

'34 Ratrod likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Supply chain all along the line.
    A lot of us who were off work for most of the past year spent a lot of time out in the garage because there wasn't any place to go and there weren't many distractions. That meant we ordered a lot of parts that once the shelves got emptied replacements got scarce.
    The steel manufactures were shut down for the most part here and overseas.
    Shipping has been screwed up on all ends.
    Places like Posies if they were doing some manufacturing were running with a minimum crew.
    A few weeks ago there were a dozen or more container ships anchored around Puget Sound waiting their turn to unload some of them at anchor for over a week. A rail car shortage contributed to part of that issue as the containers couldn't get hauled away after they were unloaded.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"Everything" is in short supply. While supply chains are way behind on certain things, even items in stores that are overstocked are sometimes said to be in "short supply"; it's a perfect universal excuse to gouge the consumer.

I put off building a shed in the yard because I simply refuse to pay $10 for $2.50 2x4 studs.

(I hope) it'll eventually flatten out and when things really get cranking we'll see some price wars on certain items as supply outweighs demand on certain things.

X-cpe likes this.
  20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

In my former occupation we used a lot of wood panels. Our supplier kept giving us increasingly long lead times on parts we would get pre-covid in a few weeks. Our purchasing dude sent a email asking what was up his reply in a nutshell was that pre-covid his workforce was 100. During covid he was shut for a while and his best workers left for full time employment elsewhere. Due to lost revenues he can only afford 60 employees and on any given day 30 call in sick. He is frustrated but doing the best he can. Lead time for his product is now 6 weeks with no guarantee on that.

21. rlsteel

rlsteel

It will work its self out maybe the sellers will learn a lesson on stocking parts. I think of it as a big jigsaw puzzle that was dropped going to take a while to put back together. Has nothing to do with people not wanting to work.

22. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

i'm in the turf/vegetation business. machines we sell are world wide, just like cnc machines(use to do).
    the virus by mother nature and tariffs by politicians have done a number on parts availability and receiving. govt tariffs have parts prices accelerate faster than inflation. virus has shut down many countries regarding labor shortages and shipping issues. it will become the 50's-60's again.....old gm 'week to 10 days'. yeah, right.
    i could go on, but it would become political.

23. squirrel

squirrel

I guess not.

24. Living in Perth, Western Australia ,which is the most isolated capital city on the planet you get used to long lead times. You don’t like it,you just get used to it.
    A lot worst nowadays!
    Life’s still good though.

rod1 likes this.
  25. Raw material shortages are creating tons of issues in lots of industries. We have been short of cans, labels, resins, BPO etc. for over a year now and costs on all of it are skyrocketing.

26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

This thread is supposed to be about your experience obtaining Hot Rod Parts.

Just Gary likes this.
  27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost all of the parts that we use in prototyping are sourced from US suppliers. They are all behind due to the pandemic. We have parts that are months out

You guys who want to blame it on something else just want to drag unrelated political issues into it. You should probably disabuse yourself of those errant notions. The topic is not welcome here.

Fordors likes this.