Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quotes to live by...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Apr 2, 2018.

1. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

2. Marry a girl with small hands: it makes your (enter your favorite male-member slang) look bigger.

3. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

The worst lies are the lies you tell yourself.

4. 532r5

532r5

Excuses are like assholes, everybody has one and they usually smell like shit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. jnaki

jnaki

“The only thing bad about not doing anything all day....is that you never know when you're done....

And the things you don't get done today can wait and still not be done tomorrow or the next day. “

TOMORROW: “One of the greatest labor saving devices of today.”

Hello,

It has taken me several weeks of daily scanning and transferring new photos and documents to our new, larger, Emergency, external hard drives. It was supposed to be a one day job, but as the saying goes … “And the things you don't get done today can wait and still not be done tomorrow or the next day. “

The quote is slightly dangerous, as your wife, girl friend or family has to absorb the consequences of the delay. Usually, it is to be done in order, so the next job of organizing or cleaning out the long-used office takes place. We had 4 file drawers of stuff between two desks. When that ancient, but, modern design office furniture bit the circular saw action, we had plenty of boxes to go through to slim down our “stuff.”

Now, we each have a modern file drawer each with small drawers for pencils, flash drives, etc. Our desks or slim lined, glass topped tables that make the whole room look larger and more streamlined. The external hard discs were now the slim line versions of 4TBs that will fit in our pockets for emergencies and will hold over two-three year’s worth of family files and photos. It is a slim grouping of three 4tb hard drives, that is labeled for Emergency Grab and Take… Now, to get rid of actual paper files and notebooks from our past that gathers dust. That was another “tomorrow…”

Jnaki

We did keep putting off the “clean out” of so many useless storage items, old files we no longer needed or use, old hard discs, and yes, old color slides from the 1966 era. So, it was a “great labor saving devices of today” to just say that was enough for today and move on to some sanity.

Our tomorrows were put off, so our new smaller, low back, cooling, classic office chairs would feel right at home. Luckily, we gave away our mesh, medium to tall back office chairs to other extended, family members.

Remember: Tomorrow is dangerous, so get busy, now. YRMV

Now, those new garage cabinet drawers that are getting stuffed with "just stuff that I can use later..." that is another tomorrow...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

"Just like the shore and the sea, we were destined to meet..."

Hello,

When I first got my own hot rod, the Flathead powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, it was fate, luck of the draw, or it was meant to be. "Just like the shore and the sea, we were destined to meet..." I was a hot rod teenager, a drag racer, a good athletic surfer, and just an average guy trying to fit into the cool 1960s scene.
    upload_2021-5-14_4-22-11.png
    I could not foresee how much fun it was going to be driving that 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery everyday to school and the beach road trips. I kept telling myself that I would take good care of the sedan delivery and over the next 4-5 years, it ran great, got me where I wanted to go, and never flinched or had a misfire. It was a teenager’s hot rod dream vehicle.

Jnaki

Then 4 years later in our last year of college, I met my girlfriend, now my wife. She was just something in college and continues to this day. Again, "Just like the shore and the sea, we were destined to meet..." We came from completely different backgrounds, had similar ideas while in college and our interests were geared for the ocean/beach lifestyle. What is not to like?

A little adjustment here and there and the relationship has lasted for us, a lifetime... YRMV

Plus, there was this thing sitting in our garage that we bought together and took many months to get it drivable for both of us on our photographic adventures and lifestyle.
    upload_2021-5-14_4-27-13.png “We were destined to meet…”

7. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Flathead: You will never spend so much to go so slow!

8. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

rock & roll has been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died

9. jnaki

jnaki

“Lucky people generate their own good fortune via four basic principles.

1. They are skilled at creating and noticing chance opportunities,
    2. Make lucky decisions by listening to their intuition,
    3. Create self-fulfilling prophesies via positive expectations,
    4. Adopt a resilient attitude that transforms bad luck into good.”

Hello,

My wife and I like hot rods and everything that goes along with them. The cool look, the nice styling on most and the fun we had being a part of history. Although, no one at the time, thought about our place in the history books. It was one of those things when we thought nothing of the future, except to live a good life and not bother anyone. History? That was what we learned in the 10th and 11th grade about the world and then the U.S. History timeline. How were we to know that we were part of hot rod history or even our own history? We certainly did not plan on it or were we caught in the flow of society’s ill wills for all.

As a dating couple of college kids, we formulated our own opinions, saw things we did not see while in high school, and met some very interesting people along the way. After college, some of those people are still around, while others just drifted away in life and philosophies. We live(d) a low key life, not bothering anyone in particular, did our own thing as a couple of 20 somethings that was different from the norm. High school was a 3-4 year important phase, but one that could be dealt with as we learned more about our lives and thoughts together.

Jnaki

Someone asked if we had planned on what our circumstances are currently. We had no idea of the steps we were taking during our lives together. It just happened and we went along for the ride. But, we always managed to not tick off society or its points of law/order. We did what it took to survive and survive, we did. Our son always calls us a “TEAM.” If that is what it took over these years since 1966, then it worked out for us in the long, non-planned, future of a couple of wayward 20 somethings… YRMV

10. jnaki

jnaki

"The lure of the distant dream can be deceptive. The great opportunity is right where you are now."

Hello,

For some reason, my wife and I are still “Alive and kicking…” (Simple Minds) The words seem to fit our simple living history.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSpkgBVFp5M

The lure of the distant dream when we were 20 somethings was a faded light as our then current life together was more important than what we thought of as a future. So, here it is, the future from 1966 and it has been quite something. It was deceptive as some parts showed us that we could fit into the rich and famous, but for our lives together, that in itself made it our happiness and family. The future, we did not think of retirement until into age 60 and it worked out ok.
    upload_2021-5-28_5-4-19.png
    Being together, we were able to overcome plenty of hardships, like rent being over half of any sort of income that was provided. Add in a car payment and we lived on less than 1/4 , if we wanted to try and save for an emergency. (by the way, the emergency never came in all of those years…)

Jnaki

Our lives together dictated what was ahead of us in the months ahead, not 25 years in the future. We heard the “what are you going to do with your lives,” plenty of times, but being together was the key. It also made the 20 something lives start with a flourish and it stayed that way through thick and thin.

Thanks, V
    upload_2021-5-28_4-32-38.png

firstinsteele likes this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

"There is no moral to the story. It's just a bunch of stuff that happens."

Hello,

All through junior high school and especially during high school, we read about our history and how it applies to the outcome. If the civil war did not happen the way it did, would we all be confederate states? Would we all be driving German cars if the outcome of the war was different? How close was it to see the moral of the story during our days as little kids?

At the end of those cool fairy tales or stories about doing good with your friends, like Frog and Toad, all hit home with a moral. But, what if there were no morals to the story and history just makes its own path throughout time? Is the big guy in the sky just playing a giant chess game with a zillion characters?

We were all given those fairy tales with some resemblance to a good outcome. We all liked the way the good triumphs in the books. So, is our hot rod history the same way? Did we get our interests from our parents or grandparents? Some of us did and the other portion of people just looked at what was out there and developed interests as it should happen. There was no one to guide us to our liking of hot rods or custom cars.

We are good readers and are well read on plenty of topics, but my wife and I have always stuck together and there was no need to discuss the “morals of the story” in our family or friends’ conversations. They had their own stories to develop.

Jnaki

My mom and dad were not hot rod/drag race people. My dad was a sportsman, fishing, camping and adventures. My mom hated all things automotive, as she saw and knew that automotive work, ended up making everything dirty and greasy. Obviously, she hated the hot rods we had and the loud noises just put a period on the i. Shoot, our parents were not even ordinary car people. To them, it was stick the key in the ignition and start/go. So, what made or how did our history get developed the way it did?

It will never be decided in our books, as both, my wife and I have an inkling of how we have stayed together, but had no outside influence on our choices. We just made the choices the way we saw how it would affect us in the action provided. Do we go to the 10k political rally, only to get our brains beat up? Or do we do our own thing of silent action and find other creative ways to meld into society? Hot rods or no, it was just one of those things that happens without any guidance or selection by anyone else. YRMV

“It was just a bunch of stuff that happens…”

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

“The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person who is with us
    our entire life, is ourselves. Be alive while you are alive.”

Hello,

During our lives growing up, we always heard the word, "ENDURE," from our mom. It was part of her own history growing up and living with a family of rambunctious boys and a silent dad. When she would listen to what I had to say during the teenage years, her answer to most, if not all questions and statements was to “endure” the situation.

But, she also had the distinction of having gone through a different generation of growing up. So, what was a modern (at the time) teenager supposed to do? The worlds between her early years and the current 1950-60s teenager were like night and day… or were they?

At the time, we laughed at her idea of “endure” for the answers. But, it was her way to see the bigger picture. For us, to just let it happen, as it was supposed to happen and we all adapt to the results. She always said that she had more experience than us, but we kept saying, "But that was 30 years ago..." Ha!

Jnaki

As teenagers, it wasn’t a situation to endure, but to take action and make it go our way at the time. But, years later while enjoying the fruits of being married to a smart person I met in college, we began to see the situation in its own light. Endure, indeed… it just happens and we have lived long and happy because of it.

So, wherever she is, my mom did give me words of wisdom. Since I was a brash teenager with my own ideas, at the time, I thought the “endure” part was just rubbish. But, things happen the way it was always supposed to happen. These days, it is hard to convince other members in the family, but they too, will learn from experience. For some, it just takes time to see the light.

Stay safe, it is not over yet...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. Words of wisdom that I got from both of my parents, that I have remembered and tried to live by: "I remember what it's like to be your age (insert whatever age you want)" and MEAN it! My folks lived and taught real-world standards, not 'do as I say, not as I did' standards. I always admired and respected them for that, and appreciated their honesty.

Boneyard51, Thor1 and jimmy six like this.
  14. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Ace61, Ned Ludd, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

“LEARN TO BE PRESENT, ENJOY THE MOMENT…”

Hello,

When we were 20 something college students, the whole world was going a little crazy. There were so many things to absorb and decide if that was our way of thinking and doing while growing up. So, after a couple of years of being together to experience what was happening, we decided to get married to be able to make choices together.

It was just the two of us in a small coastal apartment listening to great rock music, drive our 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, make early morning runs down the coast, on our Harley Sportster, to our favorite breakfast/lunch places in Newport Beach, and take long walks on the sand with our little dog.

Our futures were staring us in the face, but we did not give it much thought. It was doing things that made us feel a part of the developing action in our coastal community. We were in a place where we thought it would last for a long time. We saved up enough to put an offer on two different houses that popped up for sale. One, we lost out by a couple of thousand dollars on the bid. The second, we did not envision being in debt for 30 years to this old lady and her snoopy daughter in our rental place that came up for sale.

Jnaki

So, we enjoyed as much as we could with what we had, together. Our family get togethers were a little hairy as ideas and ways to see things were not always on the same page. Their lives were set, marriage, kids, jobs and a white picket fence. Ours was a whirlwind of experiences that we tried to enjoy while we could.

Long road trips North up the coast to the S.F. Bay area and South into Mexico were exciting and were great stories at those family gatherings. But, our lives were still not on the same page as the others at the time. In the back of our minds, we knew that we were young and that is going to last as long as we took care of ourselves. So, for the time being, we enjoyed being PRESENT and not wait until our futures were set in gold. (although, our futures are now in the 2021 era, pretty much set, and it is a great life.)

Hot Rods to Surfing to Sailing to Just Being… What is not to like?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

An older friend sent me a couple of them : "Age is just a number, so I plan on going as hard as I can for as long as I can until I am no longer able!" And #2 : Why should I waste my time getting measured for "the box" while I'm still living? There will always be someone to do it after I'm gone!!"

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. "Love is like a fart. If you have to force it, it's gonna be shit."

Applies to a lot of things, really.

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Jnaki, your folks , like my folks had to “endure” hardships that were actually hardships! That is what made them the “ Greatest Generation “. Raising teenagers was easy peasy to them, even with us being turds growing up!

Bones

Thor1 and jnaki like this.
  19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I really like that one, may I use it?

Bones

Mr. Sinister likes this.
  20. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

When I first started my career, an older employee (who was getting ready to retire) told me to always keep in mind that some folks can f*#k up a ball bearing with a rubber mallet....truer words were never spoken.:)

21. Sure you can, I can't claim it.

lothiandon1940, Thor1 and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

We are all villains in someone else's story.

23. jnaki

jnaki

“The lens which we see life, profoundly influences the experience we have.”

Hello,

It is how you do it, as to how your outlook on life seems to be. When we graduated from high school, we were still teenage hot rod/surf guys/girls. Cruising, drags, and beach lifestyle was the big thing and we were in the middle of it.

Somewhere in the back of our minds, some of our friends had moved away for Eastern/Northern colleges and some even into the military. But, for us, it was the local schools and staying near the coastline. It was home for us and continued to this day.

The whole world was caught off guard with the Beatles and then the So Cal answer to the British invasion was the Beach Boys. Sure, that was showing So Cal lifestyle, but from a different prospective. They were public, showed and explained various places and people for all to see and try to understand. For us, it was the invasion that pushed us to a different look for us, So Cal late teens and early 20 somethings.

The ideology we heard in our college classes, the research we did or have to do, the discussions with others with similar minds and age groups all played a part of learning to be different. Finally, our parents would be somewhat proud as we were growing up as “individuals.” We started to see our independent lives in a few years.

Jnaki

From that point on, fun was added to compound things along the way, but what other way was there to go be an individual without any fun? When I met my wife in our college classes, it started a whole new way to look at future prospects. We had not heard the high school counselors give us the standard speech about: “What are you going to do with your life,” speech anymore. We were living it, as we were getting older and wiser.

With the addition of my girlfriend, then wife, was the punctuation needed to battle all that was headed our way. We were having fun being together and the challenges were melded into one battle front for the both of us. We pushed ahead and were fine with our decisions, despite the anger and dislike from other family members during that time period.

We saw things in a different way and that is how our lives came to be, during our hot rod days, photo shoot days, skateboard business days, family days, and just being together on our road trips all over. It was fun, still is fun, despite the limitations of the pandemic. It seems to be getting better, but it is still raging all over. The idea provided us by the powers to be and pushy communities is that we all just want to feel it is over, while it is not.

Stay safe.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  24. jnaki

jnaki

“Too often, we torment ourselves with the endless possibilities of the past.”

Hello,

History has taught us how to act and proceed in our lives. We were always told facts about World History and U.S. History when we were all clear in the brain and growth, but confused about what to do with our own lives. The hours spent on history of all kinds was given and still is given to teenagers as a way to educate them on the past. For some, a reason to give, was so we don’t make the mistakes of the past and we can live peacefully in the future. Which is now.

As a world wide community, some still don’t get history. And some aren’t trying to make the world a better place. In our teenage years, we were all basically confused and wondering what comes next. In looking back, there were moments that could have changed our future lives for good. There is a theory that a parallel universe is running just along side our current one and it is slightly different. Boy, that would be fun to be able to see and participate.

Should we look back and wonder? Well, for some it would be great to go back and change things. But, you must be happy with the current “near to far future” or what you change back then, will affect how things go for the future generations. That is some, Star Trek Theory as it stands.
    upload_2021-7-2_3-39-33.png
    What if I put the 348 Chevy motor back in the first 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery?

Jnaki

So, looking back as a teen or twenty something is a wonderful trip down memory lane. But, those days are gone and we all chose the steps unknowingly to create the future as we know of it today.

We saw our granddaughter for the first time in a long pandemic separation. Our history, however we saw or did back then, all works out in our own current future. For us old guys/girls, we don’t torment ourselves thinking of “What If…” it just happened the way it did. We enjoyed every minute and we are thankful we are still around. Now, the “long awaited future” from those very early days, is set for us. This is now...

LOU WELLS and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

When at work.....Never be late quitting early...

Take care of those who take care of you...

Boneyard51 and Thor1 like this.
  26. cpraceman

cpraceman
    from walls, ms

Don't count the days,
    Make the days count.

Boneyard51, seb fontana and Thor1 like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

"If the plan does not work, then change the plan, not the goal..."

Hello,

Growing up and having our high school counselor ask us… “What were we going to do with the rest of our lives…” was actually a dumb question. Geez, we were teenagers without a care in the world and having fun experiencing as much as we could prior to going into the world of work, military or college.

But at family functions, the other parents could not help themselves, but asked the same questions. Yes, they were well meaning, but, perhaps, their older generations had it planned prior to finishing high school. I wanted to continue to be known as a nice guy, live a happy life and have fun, that was the plan/goal.

One of my early answers to that question was: “I am going to be a professional surfer with sponsorships by various surfboard industry manufacturers of clothing and surfboards.” That stopped them in the conversation and they mostly said that it was an interesting choice or something to the effect of “What the hell?” No work, no college, no military, no family? What was I going to do after high school? Needless to say, those conversations were short and on to the next extended family member interested in my teenage future.

The funny thing was, that was what I had planned. By February of 1962, I had a surfboard manufacturer ready, and had lined up others to do the sponsor program. It was a good time for me. My red/orange/salmon pink 1940 sedan delivery fit right into the coastal exploration picture.
    upload_2021-7-9_3-55-15.png
    Driving the Ford Sedan Delivery to various surf places, would draw people to see what So Cal surfing was at this period of time. The surfer scene was starting to explode with the clothing companies jumping on the outdoor, coastal, surfing lifestyle.

Jnaki

So, it seemed like I was headed in the right track. But, when my parents asked if I had sent out some college applications, the answer was no. Although I did get several colleges interested in me playing football for their teams, with full ride scholarships in Arizona, as well as, of all places, Texas and New Hampshire. (too hot, too far away and hot, too cold with no surf)

The goal was now not in the picture, so the plan was changed to fit the need. The plan fell through and I had to adjust to the new course of the next four years of college, with who knows what that will bring. Plans changed but, the goal of being happy was still in the cards.

All of these years later, I am happy, a nice guy and having a world of fun with someone I met in college. So, that original plan was altered to allow me to find a better path to fun and happiness.

28. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Why buy a part for $20 when you can make it for $200!

29. Rand Man

Rand Man

No matter how many times you shake it, the last drop goes on your shorts.