Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GPS speedo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cavman, Jul 8, 2021.

1. cavman

cavman

Does anyone have experience using a GPS speedo? I am wondering if the sending unit can "see" through the vinyl top insert on my coupe.

2. KenC

KenC

No experience except with the speedo app on my phone. Works fine and it’s the same satellite

Chicster, Sandgroper, cavman and 3 others like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From Autometer :
    The Antenna

The best location to mount the antenna is outside. Inside near any window, the top of the dash, window frame, package tray, etc. are all good spots to mount as well, but not as good as outside. The antenna is waterproof and you can paint it.

It can probably see though the top insert if there is no metal in the way. They have advanced a long way since I used a usb antenna on my laptop to tell me where I was on a chart out on the water in my boat and had to set it out on top of the boat to get a good reading or on top of the car to use a map with the gps app in the car.

cavman likes this.
  4. I have the Autometer unit in my F-1. My understanding is that it is more of a receiver than transmitter, it needs to "see" the satellites.. If I recall, the "antenna" needs to be unobstructed. Mine is on the center of the dash adjacent to the windshield. I've used it a couple of years with no problems, it does however require a few seconds to establish contact. I'm putting one in the 32 I'm working on also. Hope this helps.

Sandgroper, Cosmo50 and cavman like this.

5. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Installed one in a 356 (coupe) Porsche, under dash, work's fine... Take's a minute if started an drive off... Picks up in a minute or two, on start an drive..

Attached Files:

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I put a Autometer GPS speedometer in my deuce 5 window when we built it and mounted the receiver on the back of the mirror. Worked perfect. Only time I had a little lag time was when I first backed it out of the garage.

7. Rand Man

Rand Man

I have one in my coupe. It works great, and yes, you have to start rolling before it will start giving any output.

cavman likes this.
  8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a GPS stepper motor to drive my cable speedo. Noisy Noisy Noisy , yes it worked and was accurate . Its some where in the dud parts corner of my shed. GPS electronic speedometer is probably the “quiet” way to go.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Sandgroper likes this.
  9. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Had a 34 5w coupe that was a weekend warrior. QC and 3 tire sets. Liked that with any tire or gear combo the gps speedo was dead accurate. Sure beat the old tach to speed chart. It worked in tunnels and parking garages.

Sandgroper, Tim and cavman like this.
  10. cavman

cavman

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking if the antenna is hidden under the top vinyl, it should work. Those of you who use them, any specific brand recommendations? There is such a price difference, I'd like to get it right the first time

11. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Have used Classic Instruments' Sky Drive unit in a number of builds, always mounting the receiver under the dash, no problems. I would think the vinyl top would be a non-issue.

John McLeod and cavman like this.
  12. TCTND

TCTND

I had a Speedhut unit mounted under the tonneau in my Morgan. Worked perfectly.

Cosmo50 and cavman like this.
  13. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

I had an eBay unit in my 41 Ford Tudor. It worked really good. The cable for the antenna was really long so I put the receiver end on the back tray directly under the window. I never had a problem with it. I am putting the same one in the Lark. I wanted to get the Speedhut one with the speedometer and tachometer and the 4 in 1 gauge, but that combo is like $700.

14. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I had a JEGS digital speedometer (Intellitronix on the printed circuit board), using the GPS provided with it. It was totally useless under 20 MPH. I had to mark my tachometer for the 15 MPH school zones. I eventually removed the GPS module and used magnets on my drive shaft (left over parts from universal cruise control installations). The input DIP switch was changed from "digital" to "analog" (sinusoidal).

15. John McLeod

John McLeod
    from Boyne City

Classic Instruments uses an OMNI antenna in our SKYDRIVE unit, it will work fine through a vinyl top and under the dash. with and GPD leave yourself extra wire and mount with Velcro so you can move a liitle one way of the other. We recommend leaving it wired direct (Like a memory on a stereo) it is very little amp draw and then you do not have GPS Speedometer drag (Or time to connect) Hope this helps and Sorry I was late on this

Deadbird and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. John McLeod

John McLeod
    from Boyne City

to explain OMNI antenna (SORRY) can mount anywhere in car as the antenna is not directional it is more like a ball and sees or picks up in all directions

Deadbird and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. larry k

larry k

Do they have a cable ???

18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I have a GPS receiver that Stewart Warner sent me. ( looks just like the unit I previously had been using on my back bumper that I bought from Speedway). this one is mounted under the sheet metal of the cowl on my Forty Ford.
    IMG_4652R.jpg
    This is a drop down panel . When it is in it's operating position it is even with the bottom
    of the dashboard. It works fine in this location. It does take it awhile to find the satellites
    in my area though. As much as 5 minutes some days. Once it has the satellites found it will
    be ready to go for the rest of the day.
    IMG_4653R.jpg

Hamtown Al and cavman like this.
  19. Thomas K.

Thomas K.

I have VeeThree gauges with GPS speedo in my coupe. The antenna is in the headliner above the rear view mirror. Haven't had any problems since installed 3 years ago.

cavman likes this.
  20. Deadbird

Deadbird

I’m using a VDO speedo and GPS sender in my C10. The GPS unit sits on the dash. No problems but I’ll probably eventually replace it all with something like Classic Instruments. The GPS has been great, but the VDO gauges leave a bit to be desired.