Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Man, I am burned smooth out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dang it. I can't even quote right....

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. We'll keep the light on for you.:D

34 5W Paul, Lil32, Joe Blow and 8 others like this.
  3. I retired from my business that demanded 55 hours a week and the first thing I did on my 62 Birthday is buy a 9 dollar lifetime fishing license, that was 10 years ago and I haven't wet a hook yet.:rolleyes:

I ended up building several cars and helping build 2 others, I'm a little burnt out myself, but thankfully I have 2 running cars and no major project at the moment.

My doctor told me this morning I need to get out and start walking. HRP

4. Take time off here and there, hopefully it'll reset itself. To me that's a scary point, this is all I want to do (cars and equipment).....all I ever wanted to do, can't imagine what I would do if I stopped. I always say it's my regular job that's the burnout point for me, but everyone HAS to work. Granted my field of vision is narrow to some but it does encompass other factors of cars, tools, vintage stuff other then just building (driving, swapmeets, antiques, etc...).

5. little red 50

little red 50

DON'T DO IT...........My dad's doctor told him to do that when he was 70 he's probably 90 now and we don't know where he is. :D

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

It's called "a vacation". Take one, or 2. I spend 2-4 weeks (sometimes more) on cruise ships, to decompress. Do something where you can really relax, not make decisions, or run around like a madman. Escape to the beach, or mountains. Go to an all inclusive resort. You deserve it!

7. JimSibley

JimSibley

Sit back, relax and ride your new bike. Thoughts will come, and you will be refreshed.

Joe Blow, bchctybob, Roothawg and 2 others like this.
  8. trollst

trollst

By the way Root, I sold my roadster and bought a bike, I used to ride years ago, so, I thought, why not? I only ride it into town to get the mail, or....to clear my head, or....to unwind, or...just down to my buddies, or....any other reason.....I'd forgotten how much I loved to ride. Now driving my 36 is more enjoyable, cause I got a choice, riding a bike has actually rekindled my interest in the shop. By the way, thats a damned ugly bike, kinda utilitarian looking.....

9. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

That's funny my Dr. told me the exact same thing this morning! lol

10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I reserve one night a week to bike, we have a great trail network here so don’t need to ride the roads, usually knock off about 38 miles. Just myself, soothing for the mind. A tandem is quite a challenge of cooperation with both riders, hope you enjoy it!

Roothawg and Thor1 like this.
  11. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

I think it's normal to get burned out. I do every few years. Between building and painting cars for other people for 25 years plus trying to squeeze in my own junk., it takes its toll. When I get burned out, I pick up an old motorcycle to resurrect. Usually little honda CBs. They're cheap to buy and quick and cheap to build. Sratches the itch and doesn't overwhelm you. I build them at my leisure with no pressure. By the time I'm done, I'm ready to attack cars again. I also ride my motorcycle a lot, helps blow the cobwebs out. A good 300-350 mile ride of nothing but canyons and twisties is my best therapy. The point I guess is to have something other than just cars like you are finding with the bicycle. Of course, good friends and family is also a bonus. Good luck and soon enough you'll be motivated.

12. adam401

adam401

Bro, get out of the garage and spend time with your wife. Grill some steaks, go on a long weekend. The feeling comes back. Its alot of dedication to make a pile of parts a car as you know. Thats why there's so many disassembled cars for sale online. Seeing this shit through is tough and everyone needs a break. So take a break. Its ok.

13. Catch and release into some Andy's catfish breading, and then released into some 350 degree oil. ;) egg wash some onion rings, throw them in the Andy's too, then throw them in the oil:D fry up a pound of ground chuck with some onions and green peppers diced up, mix it with Bush's baked beans, dump in a bunch of fried bacon, sprinkle the top with brown sugar, ice down some Miller lite, and just kick back:) come on up root, we'll do some relaxing buddy

14. Lloyd,,,,,that sounds great,,,,,you don’t make deliveries do you,,,,LoL .
    By the way,,,,,that fishing pic was located near a lot of sand on the bank there,,,,not in Kentucky was it ?

Tommy

Thor1 likes this.
  15. When I retired the day I turned 62 I bought a South Carolina lifetime fishing licence for the paltry sum of nine dollars, that was 10 years ago and I haven't wet a hook yet, but I hope to get my moneys worth outta that license before I get too old to fish.. :D HRP

16. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I stopped building hot rods and show cars for a living last year
    I was burnt out and just want it to be my hobby and enjoyable.
    Now,the only asshole I have to please is me
    Best thing I did.

8ntsane, redoxide, Roothawg and 2 others like this.
  17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Root, sorry to hear that, but I can relate. Building cars or any other hobby is just like having ice cream or beer, it tastes great but if it`s too much, you start feeling sick...go out on and roadtrip to enjoy what you built for a while.

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

no matter your age or state of mind... you need a break.. take it. go back refreshed if you want.. Americans work way to hard for the most part. many "selling" back vacation every year or when they retire. I don't know if it's fear of loosing their job or just knowing the desk will just have a bigger stack on it when you get back..good luck with what ever you choose..

19. [QUOTE="HOTRODPRIMER,

My doctor told me this morning I need to get out and start walking. HRP[/QUOTE]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Hey I Root, with that output you need a time out. I guess living in Slackerville it must be mandatory!
    I thought recumbent bikes had the driver/passenger way lower to the ground? That thing looks a little scary...

21. Those are called semi-recumbent. Much safer as far as being seen.

22. Right now I am going through the same funk as you. I come here and read about other people's projects, but I haven't done a thing to one of my cars in over a year. My pickup truck hasn't been cranked in 3 years and I don't care. I put a fresh engine in my Corvette last year and have yet to fire it up to break in the cam. I just go to the garage to clean it and find extra parts to sell at a swap meet. The only driving I do is I take my ole 48 coupe to the store once in a while. I know my ambition will return later but right now I am like Lloyd and just doin' some fishin'.
    I made a bad mistake many years ago and sold my coupe in the middle of a funk. Well the funk went away and I was without my coupe. Finally got it back but learned a valuable lesson...they don't eat anything while they are sitting there so just take a break and come back later when the doldrums have passed.

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow, your tandem semi-recumbent bike is way too scary for me - here are some options 20210708_143856.jpg 20210708_144108.jpg 20210708_145027.jpg 20210708_144444.jpg

24. Bbdakota

Bbdakota

This thread hits home. The first couple cars I've built when I was younger, I could work on them 12 hours a day every weekend and in the evenings and stay motivated. Now I'm a little older, I only work on my project when I feel like it and it's been 8 years so far and it's still not done. Take a break, enjoy life and when you feel like it, then make a little progress on the project.

chryslerfan55, Roothawg and Thor1 like this.
  25. 93FE867C-AC5D-4075-AE47-0C63FFB3A371.gif

take a brake ya been busy , ride that wacky bike with the wife n have fun.
    Take some of the stress out of the hobby for a while, it’s supposed to be fun right ?

26. I spent years concentrating on family and work etc. forced myself to work on the Fargo again and it all came rushing back why I love cars. Sometimes I have to force myself out to the shop and within 15 minutes I know I’ll have to force myself back to the house when it’s time.

I find I have to do that when I hit a bit of a burn out on cars. It renews the passion when I make myself get back out there.

Old cars are supposed to be fun! I will admit my road bike also makes me happy when I go for a ride.

Roothawg, Thor1 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

We each have our own way,and I have always known too much of same thing makes burn-out.
    So I also have many hobbies> not all at the same time,but now an then with over lap of one to another. Even some close buddys think I'm crazy !

I race almost anything> plus for close to 70 years mess around with toy trains in between. That's my way of taking a brake.
    Pedal bikes have been there in many ways. I used them too help keep in shape for my race car driving,and just for fun, I raced for world land speed record at Indy 500 track with pedal bike , I designed and raced there two years in a row" Team Strange".
    Even raced sail boats! All of it on very low piggy bank. florida2006-toostrange.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  28. squirrel

squirrel

29. Hey Dana ,
    One of the reasons I admire you so much is,,,,,you have been driving the same Hot Rod for over 60 years .
    I’m sure you have freshened it up a few times,,,,but that is enjoying them to the fullest .
    A hot rod with a Y block,,,,,and it looks cool and looks strong .
    That is the epitome of hot rodding,,,,,,build it and run it !

The other reason I like you is your avatar,,,,,,anyone that likes Fonzie,,,is okay in my book !

Tommy

30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@silent rick Did you zoom in on his tackle box?

Thor1 and Stogy like this.