Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1954 Chevy 210 Vent tubes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by little red 50, Jul 8, 2021.

1. little red 50

little red 50

When I built my 54 I put my original fresh air vent tubes back in. I noticed they had some kind of insulation mat inside. I have read somewhere that material was made from asbestos, so I don't use my vents. Does any one know if this is fact. It sure would be nice to be able to use them. Maybe take them off and try to get that out and ad a heat shield on the outside?

2. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I have some extras that you could have. I will look at them and see if they have stuff inside. I did not use them on my car. Are you going to Salida?

3. little red 50

little red 50

Hey John, hope everything is good in southwest Missouri. Thanks for the offer, I might take them off and see how hard it might be to get that stuff out. It may not be to difficult being in there for 60 plus years? Salina won't happen for me this year. (Taking care of ageing parents). But yeah let me know if yours have that stuff in there too. I've actually thought about taking mine out and making a cold air intake but that hasn't happened and probably won't. To many irons in the fire.

4. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Here are two that I have. I think they are left and right. One of them had a removable fiber mat in part of the tube that I easily pulled out. The other was hollow. 82664002-9365-4FD7-A765-EB8DAF0A553A_1_105_c.jpeg

5. little red 50

little red 50

Maybe they put that insulation in the tube from the exhaust side. Its been long enough since mine were out I don't remember. About an inch thick? Now that you have it out does it look like asbestos or can you tell? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for taking the time. Its about time for a trip to Neosho its been awhile with all the covid stuff, hopefully this fall. Would still like to meet you sometime.

6. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Here is a photo of the stuff I pulled out of the sheet metal tube. It came out in two halves. It did not look like any asbestos material that I have been around, more like scotch brite pads.
    278D8BE0-6759-4EA4-9AA2-00248A01C7B4_1_105_c.jpeg
    Surely out paths will cross someday.

VANDENPLAS and little red 50 like this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Probably not asbestos. Asbestos was expensive, they only used it to resist high heat. More likely some kind of coconut fibre or coir used as sound deadening, to prevent engine noise from echoing inside the car. VWs had similar fibre packed "mufflers" in the heat ducts, from the engine to the interior of the car. You could probably get the same effect by wrapping some insulation around the outside of the pipe. A small piece of Dynamat or carpet should do the trick.

lothiandon1940 and little red 50 like this.
  8. Just removed tubes from a 52 Chevy parts car, one side has that fiber mat like shown in WZ Junk's picture.

little red 50 likes this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You could try setting a bit of it on fire, if it burns it's not asbestos.

10. From what I remember it’s a yellowish weaved Matt type thing.

not asbestos

11. On 54 Chevrolet with power steering they used a flexible duct on the left side to clear the massive steering box. The right has the insulation from exhaust.

12. 4doorsformorewhores

4doorsformorewhores

Any interest in parting with these? I’m trying to bring my engine bay back to its original look as best as I can and I’d love to get my hands on these if you don’t mind shipping

13. ...if you are putting a V8 in your Chevy, and want to use those tubes, I'd line em with some thing like Dynamat or such, if you run em empty you will get a lot of heat into your car from the engine compartment, ran em on a 51 Chev I built with a 400 SBC and it was like the heater was turned on all the time without the original fiber or other liner....(400's seem to run warmer anyway.)

14. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Sorry, I am not able to ship. I bet you can find some close to where you live.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In general, coating what is believed to be asbestos containing material to keep it from becoming friable is all that needs to be done. I was a certified asbestos remover and could supervisor it’s removal or sealing for California. Almost any paint will do. Pink was used as a sealing color. I personally would remove any product in an air duct.

16. ...I may have a pair of those tubes...will check,,,

17. 4doorsformorewhores

4doorsformorewhores

Rusty, that would be rad if you could. I found some flex hose online that should fit, but I wouldn’t mind getting some in there that are a little more stock looking for the right price

18. ...sorry, no time to check lately, will check tomoro and get pics

19. I only have one vent tube,...drivers side I believe, good condition, take $20 for it plus shipping, send me a zip.
    DSCN6571.JPG DSCN6572.JPG DSCN6573.JPG