Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you wear safety shoes/boots when working in your shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, Jun 15, 2021.

1. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Safety glasses and hearing protection on any job unless I'm doing detail work.

Stogy likes this.
  2. So...you guys have given me such a hard time that I repurposed my old steel toes from work to be shop shoes. I think they go well with my shorts. :D Ok, so the real reason I swapped to these is that I am tired of my cheap tennis shoes falling apart... :rolleyes:

17997095-F243-4068-80F0-D4D1B5323FDC.jpeg

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

I got a new pair of steel toed shoes when I worked every year. I could wear a pair 2-3 years easy so after I retired I have enough pairs to last the rest of my life so I wear them all the time. I have high top, low cut, even a dress pair.

Trying to get my Danner's broke in.

Stogy, Algoma56 and guthriesmith like this.
  4. If you drop something real heavy on them , it'll cut your toes off.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I wore steel toe Red Wings for years, then stopped for some reason. no more red wing steel toes but I do have some heavy work boots I seem to only wear when my regular shoes are still nice.

6. Stogy and Algoma56 like this.
  7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

yes 7 days a week.all my boots are Dickies Antrim boots.dont have anything else to wear.

Stogy likes this.
  8. wvenfield

wvenfield

Stogy and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. From Mythbusters TV show:

10. Bardiel

Bardiel

it's a pity that you had such a situation, my father had about the same thing about 5 years ago

11. Lilith

Lilith

I always wear glasses and the most comfortable sneakers. For me, the most important thing is that no fragments get into my eyes, as it can be irreparable. I also walk a lot at work, and for me, comfortable sneakers mean that my back won't hurt in the evening. Now I wear adidas yeezy, as I like them the most and my leg does not get tired in them. I would advise you to use not only special protective shoes but also one that will sit comfortably on your foot

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  12. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another Reason to wear Boots...

I was working on my updated side Garage...
    Putting up a real metal Roof instead of that crappy Tarp system i had for 10 years...ish.
    Wife wanted me to hang the gutters so it'll look nice for New Years (Tis The Day Before)
    I had just painted the wall white the day before...So i took my Boots of to "Save the Paint"
    Off course I fell off the wall, landed on my neighbors concert pad in my socks!
    Crushed my heel bone to little pieces...i may be "walking" again in another month or so...?

Protect Your Feet! It really Sucks to Only have One Foot to Stand on!

13. gconnsr

gconnsr
    from AZ

One time a BRINKS truck came in and I tried to tell my boss it was to heavy for the lift. He told me to lift it anyway so I did. While we were both standing under it so I could show him something it started to come down. My Nikes instantly lit up and I was on the other side of the shop so quick I got to watch him throw his hands in the air like he was going to catch the truck. He got lucky and the truck didn't come all the way down but if I was wearing boots I probably would have missed that hands in the air thing. He was going to catch the BRINKS truck.

Honey, I won't be home for dinner tonight because a BRINKS truck squashed me like a grape.....

14. gconnsr

gconnsr
    from AZ

One time I was watching a guy cut up a Z-28 and I tried to tell him he should have dropped the gas tank. He basically told me to f-off then tilted the rear clip and gas started pouring all over the floor. You know that shit ignited instantly and once again my Nikes did their job. I was standing outside of the shop and it was like "where the hell is he" I literally had to go back in to drag his ass out.

15. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Should have had them on late last year November or early December. Knocked a buggy spring and its big ugly mount off of a stool and it landed on my left foot. 5 hours later I got home from the hospital. Blew the nail right off the big toe. Didn't hurt, but that's because of back damage, I don't feel much of anything in my feet.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  16. I have never owned a pair.

The two times I have dropped heavy things on a foot was outside the shop! Had a 300 lb slab of bowling alley drop on my foot (end first) while lifting it off a stack, blowing my big toe nail off. Had a rototiller attachment fall off my fork lift (not too far off the floor) onto my foot while helping Dad...Hurt like hell for a couple days. Its tennis shoes for me while in the shop & cowboy boots when out.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    hotrodjack33 likes this.
  17. 5window

5window

!!

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe I'll try these...get some work done in the garage...and feel pretty doing it.:eek::p
    1.3.jpg

19. Jack my friend, I think you may need professional help! :D HRP

20. cal1320

cal1320
    from Florida

Flip flops or cowboy boots. Always with shorts.

210superair and dana barlow like this.
  21. 5window

5window

Those tips are so shiny, I hope you're wearing clean underwear under your dress.

22. 5window

5window

Best thing I every did in the shop was to stop buying crap Walmart workboots and spend $200 on Red Wings. Have held up for 5 years and still as comfortable as day 1.

23. error404

error404
    from CA

honestly, I'm usually in flip flops unless it's cold out. But lately I'm starting to wear shoes while grinding/welding or working with heavy objects. I guess I'm getting less stupid as i age :D Also wearing hearing and eye protection more lately too.

Gloves... eh I don't like wearing gloves, but I'm wearing them more often when I weld now.

210superair and hotrodjack33 like this.
  24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may be right Danny. I'd have to find a therapist on the first floor though...them heels are a bitch on stairs:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Underwear???:eek:

5window and Bandit Billy like this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Does anyone a have recommendation for steel-toe shoes/boots to wear around the home shop? I want them to be comfortable, easy to put on and reasonably priced.

28. gene-koning

gene-koning

Define "reasonably priced" please.
    I've found over the years that safety work boots priced near (and now likely over) $100 are a better value then cheap Walmart steel toe boots. The more you invest in footwear, the more support the shoes provide and the more comfortable they are to wear on long days. Higher priced work boots are far more comfortable to wear then any cheap shoes.
    Before retirement, I wore the steel toe work shoes (6" high lace up) nearly all the time. My feet would ache less with wearing the work shoes for 10-12 hours then when I was wearing the name brand walking shoes for 6-8 hours.
    As I got older, I find the weight of the steel toe shoes causes soreness in my ankles after a long day, switching to the composite safety shoes has solved that problem.

I've been wearing the same brand and the same shoe style for the last few years. I go into the store, try them on, and bring them home. The last time, the store was out of my size, but they told me I could order them through the store and they would deliver them to my house, which I did. This last pair doesn't fit worth a crap, I think they were improperly made. Its the last pair of shoes I will buy without trying them on. Gene

29. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Depends???:eek::D

30. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

If you have wide feet,4e or wider (I'm 8e width... yeah I know, make the jokes), you would be better off getting good shoes. I get mine from Hitchcock wide shoes for men. Spendy, but they had the first wide steel toe shoes I can wear without having my little toe feel like its beng cut off just putting on the shoe.