Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bobw

bobw

karbs 001.JPG karbs 003.JPG You're welcome spanners. I went to a Ford only salvage yard and found the last 1.08 venturi carb he had. Finished the fuel lines and throttle linkage. Have to rebuild the middle carb and modify the scoop
    I should have taken FTF's advice and played with the two carb set up. But, there's fabricating involved in changing to 3 two's. I couldn't resist.

loudbang, 64 DODGE 440 and Crosley like this.
  2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

And three deuces just looks sexier anyway. :D

loudbang likes this.
  3. bobw

bobw

Thanks for the nice comment Dick. I think it's a bit sexy too. Have a great time at Eagle Field this weekend.

loudbang likes this.
  4. nugget32

nugget32

Looks great Bob

Sent from my VS500 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

FWIW I like it Bob.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Bob triple duece set up looks good.What length are your headers and have you thought what a different length might do performance wise?

loudbang likes this.
  7. bobw

bobw

300racer, The headers were built with appearance in mind. No science in them. The car would no doubt be quicker with carefully selected length 3 into 1 primary pipes with the proper sized collectors and extensions.
    Next season we're gonna wring maximum performance out of it without any major changes.
    BTW, Driver Dave did some hits in the driveway and it left very strong. Better than with the 2 carbs.

There's a Jeep 6 powered dragster rolling around in my mind...

300racr and loudbang like this.
  8. spanners

spanners

You know what they say. Pictures, or it didn't happen.

loudbang likes this.
  9. bobw

bobw

spanners, I'd show pics of the rubber in the driveway but it will be covered with snow in the morning.

If you're referring to the idea floating around in my mind, I have collected some parts. Here's the 4.0 Jeep block. I get a 4.2 crank in a couple weeks. Thinking of parting out my Crosley in the avatar for the rear end, trans, fuel cell, gauges, and more. I have an Anglia front axle assembly also. Not sure if it will be HAMB-style or Chassis Research-style FED. other side 001.JPG

loudbang, 300racr and Crosley like this.
  10. spanners

spanners

Actually I meant the driveway piccys but I'll take the build photos.

loudbang likes this.
  11. bobw

bobw

I have acquired 3 Jeep engines. One has the most desirable block, another has the long stroke crank and the good connecting rods and the last one has the best cylinder head. I won't start the engine build til spring.

Crosley and loudbang like this.
  12. bobw

bobw

A long time since I posted here. With the Covid fiasco racing was somewhat unusual. We skipped Glory Days Drags in Byron, Illinois. 60 of us rented the local track in July and had a good time. Then in August the Minnesota Street Rod Assn. held a free nostalgia race weekend at Brainerd, MN. for members. In Sept. it was the Fall Out #5 Drags at Rock Falls, WI. That was it for the year. Actually, we ran quite a bit as local strips were not shuttered.
    Since I installed the high stall converter e.t.'s improved to the 11.30's-11'40's and lost miles per hour from 118 to 112. All in all we put a couple dozen runs on the car all in the range shown above. I was hoping for better but it was pretty good. No plans this winter to make improvements. Following are some Fall Out 2020 005.JPG ssfr 20 031.JPG e pics.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    loudbang and Crosley like this.
  13. Rand Man

Rand Man

That’s a quick and fast one. Keep up the good work.

loudbang likes this.
  14. spanners

spanners

Glad somebody is flying the flag for Nostalgia racing. Any videos?

loudbang likes this.
  15. bobw

bobw

I have a video but no idea how to post it. At the Fallout the Taco Tickler was in attendance sporting a blower on the stock Merc flathead. Fall Out 2020 001.JPG

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks for the pics Bob. I love the way your intake manifold turned out using the lower half of an EFI intake. It looks very familiar (LOL). What size carbs did you use?

Have you been following my Attic Anglia build up of a 3 x 1 intake using pieces of three 1V stock intakes?
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  17. bobw

bobw

Yes Ftf, I have followed your progress and it looks interesting. I don't get on the HAMB very often though.
    I just picked up the entire intake manifold, top and bottom for an EFI 300. The plan is to mount a 4 barrel or 2 two barrels on it after some modification. The manifold is designed to ingest air only because it's port injection. Does anyone know how this might work with the air/fuel mixture? My thinking is the long runners will be beneficial to about 5,000 rpm. That's as tight as we wind the thing.
    fold 001.JPG fold 002.JPG

18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Perhaps a large side draft Weber into the existing plenum?

loudbang likes this.
  19. Rand Man

Rand Man

I like it. I’m thinking maybe three of the smaller Dellortos; pretty trick setup.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Rand Man

Rand Man

I’m sure those are designed to increase mid-range torque. I don’t think it will matter much about the air-only design. The air-fuel mixture should be more dense, packing a bigger charge of cool juice. The six will love it.

loudbang likes this.
  21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

If you are going to use aftermarket roller rockers you may want to add a spacer between the upper and lower so you will have the needed room for a tall valve cover.

22. bobw

bobw

I was concerned about that, FTF. I do have roller rockers and a taller valve cover. Will this set up help low and mid range torque and horsepower?

loudbang likes this.
  23. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Bob, are you going to Byron, IL next week?

loudbang likes this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

He hasn't been on the HAMB since January

25. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have noticed. I hope everything is okay.

loudbang likes this.
  26. bobw

bobw

Long time away from the site. But that doesn't mean we've been idle. Managed three meets last summer. Had a best of 11.28 @115. I did build a trailer that fits the image of the car. TnT 022.JPG

27. spanners

spanners

Nice little setup you have. I sometimes wish I still had my single axle open trailer for the HAMBster. Tow it at any speed and behind any vehicle and you didn't know it was there. I only went to a dual axle enclosed trailer so we had racetrack accomodation and therefore save money.

loudbang likes this.
  28. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Missed you Bob, glad to know everything is okay. Eleven flat and 120 can't be too far in the future,

loudbang likes this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Bob, Lookin' good!
    Are those Autolite carbs? What size are they?
    How did they work? OK even with a cold engine?

Do you mind if I post that pic over on www.fordsix.com?

loudbang likes this.
  30. bobw

bobw

Thanks for responding to my post. I've had trouble logging on and gave up for a while. My computer ignorance was the problem. Yes, the single axle, unsprung trailer pulls so easy I sometimes look in the rear view mirror and am startled to see the dragster there. Eleven flat is the goal. I now have doubts that the extra long intake will help. Headers with some science built in would, but probably not almost .30 worth. Yes they are Autolite/Motorcraft carbs with 1.08" venturi. They don't idle very good but that is probably my tuning. They work fine under full throttle with the loose converter. Leaving the line at around 3,500 rpm. And yes, FTF, use the pics anywhere you desire.
    I'm guessing some head work by someone that knows 300 Fords is needed. That, and a little more compression. Best performance to date is, 1.55 60 foot, 7.08 @ 95.67 1/8 mile, and 11.29 @ 113.80 1/4 mile. About 5,500 rpm at the stripe.

loudbang likes this.