Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Garage Door ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moparjack44, Jul 7, 2021.

1. moparjack44

moparjack44

Is adjusting roll up garage door a DIY project? Door will not stay up all the way, drags top of my 07 1500 Ram pick up. Other doors work fine. The springs are on the sides of the track. Should I attempt spring adjustment myself . Share info and easy DIY tips.

Jack

fauj likes this.
  2. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Does it lift with an opener? If so, you should be able to adjust how high it can go before hitting the stop limit switch.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is one place where I have to say if you have to ask, please call the overhead door dudes and have them come out and adjust it and pay them and be done with it.
    Those springs are under a lot of tension plus the tension side to side has to be even and if you do things wrong they can hurt you.
    It's the cost of a service call and probably a minimum time fee but it will be done and done right and work right.

4. moparjack44

moparjack44

No. Manual door. Springs run parallel to the tracks.

5. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Lots of energy stored in those springs. I worked with a guy that installed/repaired garage doors as a side job. The guy that trained him was killed by a spring that broke under tension.

Mr48chev just posted excellent advice as I am typing...

I had that problem with a garage door. I cut a long stick of lumber to prop the door further up. Eventually I installed a garage door opener and adjusted the opener to pull the door a little bit higher.

Russ

6. moparjack44

moparjack44

I think that is a good idea, but I am so far away from "the man", and there is only the one in this county in Southside Virginia, but probably would be the best fix.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. 52HardTop

52HardTop

In that case I would second the suggestion that you have the overhead guys do it. If it were an electric opener, it could be an easy adjustment on the machine with a simple turn of an adjustment screw. I've heard my springs break and fly along the stainless safety cable from upstairs. I wouldn't want to be around when a spring breaks.

WalkerMD likes this.
  8. Jokester

Jokester

I've replaced a lot of those. Not difficult. The springs are available at most home supply stores. They may even come with step by step instructions. Do a You Tube search on garage door tension spring replacement. The ones that scare me are the torsion ones.

.bjb

9. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Another thing you should have is a safety cable that's run thru the spring's, so if the spring fails it does not fly all over the place. As others have suggested those springs can do a lot of damage when they give way. It's usually the hook or eye end that fails. Have you lubricated the rollers and tracks? If you do decide to do it yourself make sure you do it when the door is in the up position, so there is less tension in the spring.

WalkerMD and Jokester like this.
  10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Seek a pro's help. They don't charge all that much.

11. williebill

williebill

Chop the top on your '07 Ram, and then it won't drag.... easy

12. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

You need to post this question over on The Garage Journal.

13. squirrel

squirrel

If you understand how it works, and what can happen to you if you loosen a set screw at the wrong time, then you should be OK. It helps if you can find the installation instructions for a similar garage door, to read and understand before you start. And watch some youtube videos by folks who are in the business (not the ones by the guy who asks his buddy to hold his beer).

Those of us who are into old cars work on dangerous things all the time...a garage door is no different. If you treat it with the respect it deserves, and learn about how to do it safely before you start, you'll be fine.

trollst, reagen, fauj and 2 others like this.
  14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You can replace the springs yourself. You must replace both springs.
    Go on You Tube and see how it's done.
    Also, a good idea to weigh your garage door using a bathroom scale to
    determine what springs you need. This is also on You Tube.

15. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Open the door all the way and prop it up with a post or 2x4s, the springs will not be under tension and will be hanging slack. There should be a cable with an "S" hook attached to the frame, pull it so that it takes up some slack in the cable that pulls on the spring. I had to adjust mt doors after installing new springs. Good luck.

Pat

AccurateMike likes this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

A set of springs on an old garage door is an explosion waiting to happen. We installed our own two springs per side garage door after cutting out several windows and creating a wide opening. After the opening was finished, the garage door spring company had come out with the latest springs with a wire down the middle. That was great and we thought we would be safe. Our wooden garage lift door was good and worked well for us.

A friend put in some newish springs with a metal bar down the middle to upgrade his garage. When his spring broke, the majority of the coiled spring stayed on the metal bar. But, the flying pieces damaged his cars to no end.

Luckily, over the time we had a lift up door, the wires and metal bars inside of the springs gave a sense of security. They are something for the door experts to adjust and make it work correctly. Back then, the order of things was those safety springs were sold everywhere. So, the quality was questionable. Plus, those springs are constantly being stretched and will wear out over time.

Jnaki

For the last 30 years, we have had roll up doors with a giant spring across the top of the garage door cross beam in front. The spring is so thick and strong that any breakage is not going to happen. It is a giant twist for power, not a stretch. But, they can, over time, get rusty and start to wear.

The latest thing in our garage is that we replaced the whole rolling door skin, motor, brackets, and giant spring to an insulated one. The garage is a lot quieter and there is little noise coming in from outside. We feel safer being in the garage with the all new insulated door, and new mechanical everything.

Our cars, like most daily drivers are the second most expensive items on the household list besides the house. Now, there is nothing to damage the cars, let alone us standing in the garage doing our usual stuff.

So, why not let someone that is an expert change over the garage door and mechanism. Old garage lift doors are like an accident waiting to happen. Those springs are not the most appealing apparatus that could send flying steel bits into the friends, neighbors, wife or other family members. There is no amount of safety that can be added to anyone's house, except for what you deem necessary.
    YRMV...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  17. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Jack, I added insulation to some doors and the extra weight upset the adjustment. On my door, when all the way up, you could pull more tension in the springs by hand. There was a buckle style cable clamp that you use to take up the slack. They weren't under the tension of death all of the time. It was a matter of adding some more pre-load and shutting the door to see how it worked. That was 20 years ago. I just re-tensioned it recently. Mike

18. moparjack44

moparjack44

That certainly would work, but probably more complicated, and more costly than calling "the man". When possible I lean toward simple and "cheap". lOl.

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

20. Guys, I'm sure the OP appreciates all of the advice given and I hope he doesn't in any way take this wrong, but he is almost 77 years old. Now, I hope that he lives to be 120 and he might very well be in excellent physical condition and mechanically inclined to do this job, but is it realistic to advise him to watch a You Tube video and take on a task that can be very dangerous?! I'm sorry, but I don't really want him to do it. Call around, ask others, but please, hire a professional or at the very least, someone who has done this before........Don.

rc57, Desoto291Hemi, 40FORDPU and 5 others like this.
  21. X-cpe

X-cpe

Been doing that for 25+ years. My brother gave me a used 10x10 door with a torsion bar spring. I took off one section and cut the tracks to fit. Never could get it stay lifted and get it to come all the way down, so I found the least worse position. Been propping it up with a 2x6. Lately the 2x6 has gotten taller and the door heavier.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

My dad had a door like that in his shop years ago, he fashioned up som brackets and lagged them in, added some springs.
    After readings Dons reply, now I do agree just to call someone out and replace/adjust them.
    I can’t see an ‘07 Ram looking good chopped;)

23. Only thing I can add is the door should stay open by itself at any point stopped along it's travel.
    That is if the springs are adjusted properly or in this case sized according to the weight of your door. Get a pro if possible or learn all about it first if attempting yourself. At least have another person around when you do it.

lothiandon1940, WalkerMD and X-cpe like this.
  24. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a reason garage door guy's charge what they charge. When it comes to replacement of anything more than roller's or the opener, they're worth every penny! JMO. ;)

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Sure wish @fab32 were still around. He had a garage door fall on him in the early 90s. Almost died…. He had complications from this accident for the rest of his life. I sure miss him.

26. moparjack44

moparjack44

Don, you are correct. I am almost 77 and in pretty good health, but after reading all the replies, I'm not comfortable tackling this job. I often use YouTube for small/simple projects on my HotRod DeSoto, but not something that cause serious injury or even death. I love life, and appreciate every minute of it, that is why I came to HAMB for suggestions before tackling this project. I appreciate everyone's response's, but your response sealed the deal. I am going to call "the man" first thing in the morning. Thanks everyone.

chevy57dude, egads, clem and 3 others like this.
  27. My painter was trying to adjust his garage door and something slipped and hit him in the head and cheek, it dislocated his jaw and also cracked his skull.

Due to this accident he has now been diagnosed as bi-polar, all this happened almost 8 years ago and his normal happy go lucky personality doesn't exist anymore.

Leave that type of deal to people that do it on a regular basis, at your age you don't need to push your luck. HRP

427 sleeper and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Was the garage door made prior to 1965, does it have water based paint on it, is the opener made of plastic if so we need Moriarity to police this.

29. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Man, we might've just saved a man's life here, and you're Bitching about it! WTF! If you don't like the content, move on and go Piss and Moan somewhere else!

Gangrene and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  30. Gangrene

Gangrene

I think the police have arrived.....funny shit

427 sleeper likes this.