Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Orphan cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by e z i, Jul 6, 2021.

1. e z i

e z i

Sure, we all love the post and pre-war Fords
    The tri-five Chevrolets, your Belair hardtops,
    49-51 Fords, Impalas, Nomads, rancheros, and so on. I do as well.
    But there a has to be a car you secretly want to own, but don't dare out of fear and ridicule from your peers. "You bought a what?"
    My coming out of the closet car is the 39-41 Studebaker coupes and sedans. I think they're beautiful. I'll sack up and get one someday..
    What's yours?
    1941_champion_overview.jpg

2. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'57 Studebaker Golden Hawk for me, gold of course but I'd settle for black. ;)
    1957-studebaker-golden-hawk-10.jpg
    1957-studebaker-golden-hawk.jpg

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

A '39 or '40 Nash has great lines.

4. I don't think 39/41 Studebakers are orphan cars. They were just not hot rod material back in the day. Most cars were not hot rod material. Fords were.
    Studebakers have a strong following, not necessarily in the hot rod world.
    And let us not forget, 41 Stude tail lights were primo pieces on early customs. Customisers looked at all cars.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always loved those Studebaker Hawks since they were new but never had one. Still the issue with a lot of orphan cars is that when you start hunting for original parts and pieces for them you quickly discover as to why they are called Orphan cars. I talked a guy I knew out of getting a 50 something Fat fender Mopar Sedan back about 32 years ago and into getting a still quite affordable then 65/66 Mustang as a father-son project for two guys who really weren't skilled mechanics. The main two reasons were the support for the car in the aftermarket and resource material plus a failed project was a lot easier to unload.
    Now, If I was building a gasser, those 39/41 Studebakers look real interesting and you don't have to worry much about "original" pieces except for outside sheetmetal .

stillrunners likes this.
  6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These Studes have been hot rods since they were new. 38 and Stude.JPG

7. A lakes favorite!
    (Ask Dean Lowe, he loves them)

41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'd have to go Studebaker also, along the same flavor as this one but powered by a Mopar big block wedge, just short of 500 cid.
    20210706_211520.jpg

9. squirrel

squirrel

Ive had some orphans the past few years, but I got rid of them all. Edsel, Hudson, etc.

I've noticed that there are some "different" people, who just love some particular oddball make of car...pretty strange

10. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

My very first driving/dating car, a 1941 Willys Americar coupe was an "orphan" at the time but would bring a bit of change now. All the others with Fords and Chevys made fun of it's pocket watch sized flat head 4 banger. Drove it all through HS and then gave it to my younger brother who promptly wrecked it. My "real"car was a 34 Ford 5w coupe with a 303 Olds engine. No heater or fenders so a bust for winter or rainy driving. Gave $35 for the Willys and quit buying 34 Ford coupes when they started bringing over $50----way out of my price range.

11. Studebaker 59/60 Larks, 50 Starlight coupe.
    Willys 41 coupe
    Nash 60 Rambler American wagon
    Kaiser Darrin, Traveler, Henry J
    Hudson, Hillman, Tucker, Desoto, Packard........like 'em all.

12. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I have re-done a Rambler American, a Nash Metropolitan, and my current Henry J so I guess I'm a fan of orphans.

Gary

13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I must be old because a friend of mine in grade school had one of these as his family's car.

14. I have had Studebakers in the past, a 49 starlight coupe, 57 pickup, and a 63 Daytona hardtop. The 63 was a V8, 4 speed, with disc brakes and a dana 44 twin traction (Studebaker for posi) . Thats when I realized the cost to build a Studebaker was the same or more than the cost to build a Ford or Chevy but worth a third when you were done and hard to sell. Studi 9-14-13 (1).JPG

15. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always thought that this particular year and model of Studebaker, were always under appreciated and very much over looked, to me they have some pretty classy lines and shapes.

black stude.JPG IMG_1839 (2).JPG IMG_1840 (2).JPG IMG_1837 (2).JPG IMG_1841 (2).JPG IMG_1842 (3).JPG

Boneyard51, vtx1800, wraymen and 11 others like this.
  16. CCCBFDE2-71C3-49E6-863D-28185ECA82D6.jpeg

This thing is just about perfect out of the box.
    Came close once but most parts are unobtainium and that always makes me Leary of owning something that can get stalled or frustrated searching for one stupid part.

also like just about any 40’s -50,s dodge , Chrysler desoto product. They all had such fancy interiors and drive well for the time. But again the unavailability of most parts drives me from doing much with these cars.

17. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

IMG_0331.JPG
    Guilty as charged, LOL. It's good to be different.

18. catdad49

catdad49

I think nosford hit the nail on the head. There’s nothing wrong with any orphan car, but unless it’s your “forever” car be prepared to lose some $ at resale time. With All that said, most of us are Not in this to make $. Build What You Want!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    nosford and bchctybob like this.
  19. wvenfield

wvenfield

Most cars are orphan cars now other than Chevy, Ford or Dodge.

nosford and egads like this.
  20. This about sums up me! I like oddball stuff, stuff most people don’t.

wraymen, stillrunners and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  21. Get it on the selling points - but that's a dang nice looking Daytona !

Chris Nantus likes this.
  22. 41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  23. Guess this was the one that got my brother and I on the 'baker train. Dad had brought one of these home to use as his latest drive to work beater. It was a "check the oil" flathead 6 under the hood a funny engine to us at the time. It went to his friends pasture of cars after he was done with it. Funny he would never lets us go see it or the other cars we were told that were "in the pasture" as we got to driving age. It was a work buddy of his in the service.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  24. My former Desoto,

413.jpg 388.JPG

My Stude,

P1000581.JPG P1000582.JPG

25. 1937 Packard T120 business coupe. Maybe some day...

SR100 likes this.
  26. Anything Terraplane.

27. Love the 39-41 Studes.
    5522FEA3-F86D-4598-9CAA-A34413E94D0D.jpeg

28. I had the Daytona mostly done and was looking at getting a paintjob but the cost of paint here was enough to put the investment in the car over the top of sanity! As someone else said, you need to love the orphan car and plan to keep it forever before it makes sense, I usually at least break even when I sell one of my cars and then it is to buy something else I want more. A couple more pictures, this was a nice rust free car! Studi 9-14-13 (3).JPG Studi 9-14-13 (2).JPG

stillrunners and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  29. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Orphans are the only cars I want! I had a nice 454 Chevelle at my first big show and got confused driving in. I stopped and asked the guy directing traffic where I should park. He said, "Down that way by all those other Chevelles." He was right, there were a bunch. I've had a string of weirdos ever since. I suppose ultimately I'm the weirdo! Of course I'm at a point where I don't sell cars anymore, just keep accumulating, so resale isn't my main focus. I suppose my heirs are in for a let down!