Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. I believe this is actually Eddie Potter's "Sudden Death" Comp Coupe. It is a Simca body. Frank's was a Fiat.

[​IMG]

mad mikey, jnaki, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  2. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Could you imagine the fun that you could have just spending the day listening to history from @Dean Lowe ,@jnaki, and @296ardun ? I have a few thousand questions that I would like to ask. :)

3. Correct, I was wrong.

4. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

5. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

MG day one 005.jpg
    Here's a picture I took at Westhampton, Dave Daly owner and driver, Willie "The Welder" Feyh builder, driver.

Jnaki I can relate to your childhood, I'm a little younger than you but on a similar growing up track. I was hanging around a garage at the age of 12, I would get them coffee or lunch and sodas. The MG in my avatar is the one in that garage and in the summer of 62 one of the guys offered to take me to the track on Sunday. I had to get my parents permission and being a Catholic I could not miss mass on Sunday. So after 6:00 AM mass I ran home picked up my brown bag lunch and ran on down to the Garage where Al picked me up. He had a brand new 62 Chevy Impala 409 dual quad, 4speed car. We went out to Westhampton, put on the Bucron tires and he raced in the S/S class. I hung out with the MG and rest of the guys including Jack Merkel and Eddie Sanzo. I took pictures with my Kodak camera but only have a few pictures of the time. I do have the memories and the car which I've been racing for 11 years. We retired it again and hopefully it will wind up in a museum, that's my intention.

Pat

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  7. We had just made a pass at Lions one weekend, and were at the far end/shutdown area picking up my dad. Here comes Potter, no parachute. We ran in the same class, Competition Eliminator, He goes into the sand/dirt, front end digs in and bends the chassis in half---somersault.
    The dirt at the far end of Lions was really dark, and I'm just assuming from all of the oil fields in the area. The car threw a TON of dirt at least 40-50 feet in the air--unbelievable. Eddie got a big gash on his chin, otherwise unhurt.
    That crash earned Eddie his nickname "Parachute Potter". I was 9yrs old. EDDIE POTTER.jpeg

8. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

9. Thanks FR for the story on Eddie Potter. I knew the car got wadded up, but I never heard how.

10. I remember my dad saying that he could make flawless aluminum to aluminum welds with an oxy-acetylene torch. He came to our house a few times and hung out in the garage with my dad & a cpl other guys.

11. Prudhomme in Ivo's Nailhead Buick...
    [​IMG]

bchctybob, mad mikey, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I had many people tell me Potter was a "Different kind of guy". You knew something was going to happen, just what ,you never knew. lol

mad mikey, Dean Lowe and loudbang like this.
  13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Little known fact, Buster did not like snakes! Sooooo, a well known F/C driver delayed his staging, and when Buster approached his side window to prompt him into staging a rubber snake was tossed at Buster. He was NOT amused. The single was aborted and Buster was waiting in the pits for said F/C driver to return.:D

bchctybob, mad mikey, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  14. I took this pic at a Goodguys Sonoma Drag Racing event in the very early 2000s----laying by the base of the tower with trash/dead weeds all over it. I guess they had moved it and were going to relocate---it was pretty crumbly busterbrick.JPG

15. loudbang

loudbang

This deserves a bit of a cleanup. :)

1.JPG

16. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

This is sorta interesting. Looking at the engine in its detail, it all looks done well.
    THEN...you look at the blower belt guard brackets..!?

[​IMG]

Mike

Bandit Billy likes this.
  17. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I'm thinking that car and motor were built for the FIA record runs at Riverside. And then they decided to take it drag racing where some association required some belt restraints.

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  18. High and Mighty under construction...
    [​IMG]

19. XXL__

XXL__

Some tech judge probably told Mickey he needed one to race, so he built it in the 30 minutes before round one out of a dented mailbox and an old shelf bracket someone had left in the pushtruck bed, using a Swiss Army knife and some rusty 4" side cutters. By end of event day, he was selling them in his booth on vendor row.

bchctybob, loudbang, rod1 and 2 others like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree but i give him a pass on those bitchin trumpet exhaust tips!

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  21. Deuces

Deuces

Early days of the Ramchargers...

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  22. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

always wonder how the drive line is laid out in those tandem axle cars

Deuces likes this.
  23. The Bounty Hunter and Big Daddy...the early days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]