Register now to get rid of these ads!

History remember the excitement you felt the first time you drove your hot rod or custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 4, 2021.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

HRP, your adventure in your truck brought back memories of when I pulled the Y-block out out of my avatar and dropped in the 429 and top loader four speed back in '96. I also replaced the cab and bought a 'glass clip at that time. With the cam broke in on the fresh, 0.030 over 429 the urge just got me. No doors, no front clip, no bed, just the cab. Got a couple of blocks down the street and just had to hit that 429 a little, forgetting the cab wasn't bolted down in the front yet. That thing lifted up in the front a couple of inches and slammed down again creating a very memorable "skid marks in the skivvies" moment. Haven't thought about that in a long time, thanks for the memories! :D
    Eli

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    caseywheels and Budget36 like this.
  2. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

This is me after the very first drive in my new el Camino.. I was so excited!! I haven't been behind the wheel of a hot car in decades. Later on after getting things cleaned up my wife and I went for a night time cruise. I had my arm around her as we cruised around Pittsburgh, the same streets we used to cruise. It was sooo nice...
    My wife caught my excitement as I pulled it into the driveway the first time..

first home 2.png

wicarnut, OahuEli and woodsnwater like this.
  3. So many "first" time out on a new build experiences..always memorable.
    Here's a picture after taking my '40 around the block for the first time.
    392940-1339362885-d43068dc8ae8630143ec0677ba4e5038[1].jpg

Elcohaulic, wicarnut and OahuEli like this.
  4. In the past it was usually no big deal since I changed cars like some change their socks.

With the '59, it was an adventure.. a stressful one. No insurance, no plates, just once around the block. I had the short Aerostar springs in it. Clutch release issues, it wasn't timed right and it was a dark April night... open exhaust too.

I came back home with a racing heart, a harbinger of a heart attack that followed in 6 months. I was mainly in fear of getting stuck between the road and my driveway.

5. Drove my 37 without doors , bucket for a seat no windshield or front fenders , it was a blast , just had to do it !

coupe man and wicarnut like this.
  6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yes, sir!

mad mikey, bobss396 and OahuEli like this.
  7. Jim the Sweep

Jim the Sweep

First time out in my rather unsavoury Chevy powered 1947 Rover P2 Hotrod was the usual list of woes plus fun in equal measure.
    This is the UK after all.
    One cycle fender bracket sheared off on a particularly bumpy bit of back road, so that went in the boot(trunk). Pulled up at a stately home type place and calmly parked this derelict "thing" amongst the shiny Audis and camper vans.
    The heat haze and ticking from the headers kept onlookers away. People looked but avoided eye contact, expecting Hells Angels to climb out. Instead a normal middle aged chap with Wife and Kids emerged, and had a picnic.
    On the way home, the 3 speed shifter linkage knotted up on the Chevy box, jamming in first. A bit of frenzied spanner time then home for tea.
    It was a blast and torment at the same time, thats why I eventuallysold it and put the proceeds towards my 49 Rocket 88.
    But thats another story.

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I drove mine around for 2wks after registration until my trimmer was able to do the roof. My first hotrod and home built in the back shed. An awesome feeling taking it out for the first time and onto the road. I already had the wooden hood bows polished and had painted the top mechanism in preparation. Damn hot down here in summer and easy to get sunburn with no roof. :D I still get a smile driving it.
    028_28.JPG

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    wicarnut likes this.
  9. oldsman41

oldsman41

I still get kind of giddy when I drive them now. 31model a coupe 41 olds coupe 51mercury coupe

mad mikey likes this.
  10. At my age everyday is like the first day, when I walk out to the garage the first reaction is wow ,that's mine, lets take it for a ride.

mad mikey, OahuEli and Elcohaulic like this.
  11. We were letting a lady stay with us her boyfriend was a professional gambler who made 10 to 20 bets a day on sports and the horses. I had found a chopped and channeled 34 Ford roadster for $400 near me. The gambler hit it big the day I found the 34 and bought it for me and I was in the "Hot Rod Game".

mad mikey and OahuEli like this.
  12. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

It's funny but at 75 I still get excited about that first ride in a new hot rod, I've only been driving this truck a few months but its like a time machine, I turn into that kid I use to be when I climb in, then I look in the mirror and I realize it's 2001 and I am lucky to still be driving cool old cars & trucks.

[​IMG]

13. topher5150

topher5150

What kind of exhaust are you runnin on that car? I'm putting a 351W in mine

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

At the time of this video, it had Flowmaster Hushpower mufflers (2-1/2") w/ pipes that dumped just ahead of the rear axle.

topher5150 likes this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I had driven a 55 Mercury Hardtop sedan at age 12 in 1956. It was owned by a neighbor down the street. The same age girls that went to that house for piano lessons wanted to go for a drive and they had the keys. The teacher was in a sound proof room and could not hear anything. So, off we went. I could reach the pedals comfortably.

But, although that was the first time, it really wasn’t my hot rod or custom. By 1958, I was 14, had driven my brother’s 58 Impala around the block many times after a car wash in the driveway. (It was to get the water out of the door/body panel weep holes) It started as down the block and turn around. Then as I did more, I went around the whole block, then more blocks and so on until I went all the way to the busy PCH roadway.

The confidence in driving was growing by leaps and bounds. Just the idea of driving a cool, fast car was plenty, but it was the feeling of freedom that kept it going. I did not floor the pedal, but just enjoyed the idea of moving in a car handled by me.
    upload_2021-7-13_4-21-38.png
    Later, I had driven it at the drags, so I knew the power it had upon full acceleration and the outstanding sound that came from the engine and mufflers. I already knew how to shift the 3 speed and I was getting pretty good at speed shifts from first to second.
    upload_2021-7-13_4-22-51.png

Jnaki

It was not just driving a car, but this was a stock car with 280 HP, a 3 speed stick and tons of power for a kid to accelerate down the street. When I had the exhaust cut outs opened, it was just like going down the dragstrip. But, that only happened two times. I knew the neighbors would not like to hear a powerful sedan going full bore down the street.

I had been the primary person to maintain this car since new and it was a reward in my book to be able to drive it when it was necessary. At the drags, yes, it was necessary. My brother gave me time behind the wheel. On the street, well, he knew I was still a year away from a license, but allowed me to take the car around the block, etc.

He got his first car at 15 (1951 Oldsmobile sedan)

What was it like? It was time changing. It felt like being thrust back in the seat when I tromped down on the accelerator. I envisioned this was somewhat like what the jet pilots felt upon takeoff, only on the ground. That feeling was coming up in the next year when we built the 1940 SBC 671 Willys Coupe. (I did not know it then…)

It was tremendous and a feeling one does not get just rolling down the street. It was acceleration and driving at the same time with as much power as could be brought out from the 348/280 HP motor.

It may have been different for a lot of young drivers. But it gave me enough confidence to continue what I was doing, call it "baby steps" in the beginning. Then, it progressed until the time when I actually was able to drive it all over So Cal during my teenage years. I also had a great time learning about the Impala and held the fastest E.T. time, while my brother had the fastest speed recorded. He taught me well and I enjoyed every moment as a young kid.

16. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

I remember like yesterday. Doing the drive in with first wife. 430 Merc, Lincoln trans. DSC05933.JPG with Zephyr gears.

17. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

I remember the day very well. June 1986. I had just gotten my 38 Chevy coupe running and I asked my girlfriend if she wanted to go for a short ride, Milk crates for seats. We left the driveway and went around the block. I did not want to go too far as I did not have mufflers on yet. The front and rear fenders were bolted on kinda... We made it and parked back in the garage. I had a smile from ear to ear and so did she. She then let me know that she would not be going for anymore rides with me until I got some proper seats in and bolted.
    I guess it wasn't too bad for her because she married me and we have been going on "first rides" together for 33 years!