Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBC timing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod1948, Jul 6, 2021.

1. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I thought I knew the answer to this question until talking to a few of my gear head buddies last night. When setting the timing on a SBC with a timing light using the marks on the timing cover and balancer, do you unplug the vacuum advance and plug the port or do you set the timing with the vacuum advance hooked up? I always did it by unplugging the vacuum advance, but after talking last, I’m not sure. I figured you guys would know the correct way. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Deuces likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

unplug the vacuum. Then after you know what the timing is, you might connect the advance and see if it changes, either at idle, or when you rev it up.

chevyfordman, Deuces and Hot Rod Ron like this.
  3. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

you unplug the vacuum advance and plug the vacuum port. You also check your total advance with it disconnected if you happen to have an advance timing light or the balancer is marked for it. When done reconnect the line and check that the vacuum advance is working.

Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  4. After reconnecting the vacuum advance, the idle speed may need to be reduced slightly.

Deuces likes this.

5. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Thanks guys. Did as you described, runs much better now. Thanks again. This is a lesson I will not forget or be misled!

pprather likes this.
  6. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

And, don't always listen to your 'buddies'.

7. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Ain’t that the truth!!

High test 63 likes this.