Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical High Boy… too high what to do ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hardtimesainit, Jul 5, 2021.

1. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey guys,
    I’ve got a ‘30 model A roadster. Its butt is a mile in the air. Rear tires.. 7:60 x16”.
    Id like your suggestions … how to lower rear look. Any suggestion(s) ? Thanks
    Hope the pics help.

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

A Model T spring will get you a couple inches, or one of the new springs from Yankee will get you the same with no fitzing with odd shackles.

Frankie47 likes this.
  3. sdroadster

sdroadster

I have a spring from Yankee, and that helped lower the 28 Phaeton I'm sorta working on. I have often thought of cutting the top out of the rear cross member, and fabricating a new top that is taller, allowing the spring to go deeper in the cross member and gain another inch or so. I may do that...

4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Looks like stock suspension so you could remove a couple of leaves and add a spacer on the bottom of the spring so the U bolts will tighten down. The shorter leaves make the spring stiffer so I always remove a couple of them rather than the longer leaves.

Stan Back and Fordor Ron like this.
  5. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Great info regarding Yankee Spring !
    Just may be what I need ! Thanks
    Sounds like a plan. Never heard of that fix. Would like to see that in pics… if you get it done !

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

7. sdroadster

sdroadster

I have cut the top out of several front cross members, I don't know why it wouldn't work on the rear...

8. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Yeah stock setup.
    I walked into this guys shop. I was inspecting his 30 roadster… because of right stance look.
    I got down on floor and…. What the heck ?
    I asked him if it was what it looked like… he confirmed that he had taken a ‘torch’ , heated both sides main leaf, then stood on bumper till both sides went down !
    Hadn't seen that since we did that as teens. Guess it still quick way to same goal ?
    What you think ??

9. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Do you restrenthen the crossmember then ?
    How ?

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have all the car together ready to drive? As big of a pain in the ass as it is to swap springs or remove and replace the spring you made changes to I'd wait until I drove it a few miles and saw how it all looked then. If you have already driven it and it didn't settle disregard this and proceed with lowering it.

I've lost track of the number of guys over the years who ask why their car sits so high when they first set it down on four wheels and their engine is still hanging on the stand and the trans is sitting on the bench.

X38 likes this.
  11. Squablow

Squablow

Reversing the spring eye would also lower it some without having to buy any new parts. I think there are some threads on here that show guys reversing their spring eyes at home with basic tools without a press but I could be wrong. That, along with removing one or two of the short upper spring pack would probably net you several inches.

12. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I have a model t spring with a reversed eye main leaf, also stepped the frame as shown in the Tardel / Bishop book. Lowered it a few inches. Would not advise heating and bending the spring. You could a least start with the spring swap. The main leaf came from t springs. 011.jpg 007.jpg IMG_0050.JPG

13. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Mr 48, I follow what you are saying. Answer to your question , iS not short nor sweet. This car came from a HAMBER in Texas. I told him that I’m TOO old/ tired to do chassis work. He told me the engine (4 banger) was rebuilt… he lied.
    He also hid the butchering that he had done on the frame.
    I’m just trying to salvage with advice from you guys.
    In pictures, no engine now, but trans is still in there.
    You guys have given me some great help/ ideas, however I cannot do heavy mods /work at my age/ health
    Still THANKS !

Hot Rod Nut likes this.
  14. hardtimes.. can you post a pic of the whole car (side view) so we can get a better idea of what you've got?

15. Also... knowing your approx location might dredge up some one who is knowledgeable and willing to help (I understand the age/energy thing...I'll be 73 soon and can't do the stuff I used to.

Hot Rod Nut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Thanks.
    Ive had a tough time.. health wise. Bad arthritis through out. Just got thru bought with cancer. Stack few more maladies on top and I cannot do stuff at 78that my brain says I should be doing.
    I will post pics of side profile etc, as requested. I am grateful, as usual, for you guys input… however Ive decided to let this go.
    Silver lining…. It took me several months, but I took the B out and refreshed it.
    The down side of this is bad behavior by a guy who claimed to be a HAMBER. When I contacted him on his lie regarding… “rebuilt” engine… he says… “hey Im a machinist, not a mechanic.” Told him what he is before he hung up !

Attached Files:

17. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

I’m in Los Angeles 91306.
    As said, I am grateful for your input. But its time to fold em on this one. No regrets. Iv never had any problem with a real HAMBER … over these many years.
    Rick

18. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe it’s the angle of the pic, but it doesn’t look awkwardly high in the rear to me.

19. Sorry for your health issues, and the fact that you got taken for a ride by a HAMBer. We like to think this is a safe place with honest people, but as you have experienced, not always so!
    For what it's worth, from the pics you posted, it doesn't look too tall to me, although the close proximity to the camera makes it hard to judge.
    My suggestion is to take it out, put some miles on it, and see if it settles some. You might be surprised. Also take some pics when it's outside so we get a better perspective.
    And... don't sweat it, enjoy it!

38 Hump likes this.