Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Clutch questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russco, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Helping my brother with his ‘40 coupe. When we bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel as the pressure plate mates up to the flywheel the 3 fingers on the pressure plate draw in and then there isn’t t any travel left for the throw out bearing to disengage the clutch. I don’t know any specifics on the clutch parts other than it’s a 10” disc and the pressure plate appears to be the correct size for the disc and flywheel. There is about a .250” gap if you just hold the pressure plate against the flywheel with the disc in place. It seems like shimming the pressure plate out would probably solve the issue but how much would you need to shim it to still have the clamping force needed to engage the clutch? Do he have the wrong part combination or are there spacers used we don’t have?
    It seems like I’ve had Flathead clutch’s in the past that have had spacers between the cover and the flywheel. Anyone ever run across this before? Thanks in advance.

2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess my first question would be are you sure that the disk is installed correctly?

alanp561 likes this.
  3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yes it’s facing the correct direction

4. v8flat44

v8flat44

Russco, post this on The Ford Barn too. I have never had this happen to me ??

Russco likes this.

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thanks I’ll do that too, I haven’t messed with flattie’s for a good while, but seems like there was a certain combination of disc, pressure plate or something I went through in the past on my old coupe. He bought this and it was assembled but the trans was messed up. I fixed the transmission and now the clutch is wrong. We don’t have any idea what flywheel/disc/pressure plate it is other than it all seems to bolt together as it should.

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. alchemy

alchemy

I've never seen spacers used between the flywheel and pressure plate. Maybe the disk is too thick. From the wrong application?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. weathrmn

weathrmn

Make sure the clutch and pressure plate is correct for the application. Use no spacers. I had a simaliar problem with my 40 Ford with a Merc Flat head. After I spoke with Fort Wayne Clutch, turned out the transmission case was from a 6 cylinder flat head truck. Bought a new set from Fort Wayne (and a v8 trans) and no problems. I highly recommend Fort Wayne Clutch

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Stock 40's came with a 9 inch clutch. What engine is in your brother's 40?

You first need to find out what year vehicle your pressure plate, clutch and throwout bearing are made to fit as there are different combinations that may or may not fit your 40 Ford. Read through these threads:
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/search.php?searchid=23873880

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Atwater Mike likes this.