Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Last/newest year small block Chevy that will take old intake/carb/distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38fordpickup, Jul 5, 2021.

1. What is the last year Sbc that will take an old Edelbrock manifold and carb and conventional distributor?

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

1986 is the last year the heads had the old bolt pattern.
    But if you can put earlier heads on the later one piece main seal blocks, and run any early intake. I have a 1990 350 roller motor in my '39, but I used 1970 LT1 heads, so I run any of the earlier intakes.

3. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

1986. In 87 they went to throttle body injection and changed the angle of the 4 center intake bolts. Guys have gotten creative and changed the angle on the intake to fit. You can use newer blocks if you change heads to 86 or earlier. There are also other intakes to carburate later engines but it sounds like you want to use something you already have.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So a follow up thought, how late of ablock can you put early heads on?

5. 32fenderless

32fenderless

The only one I’m not sure you could use would be the lt1 engines. They have front mount distributors.
    At a certain point they stopped drilling for the fuel pump. The boss is still on the block but they didn’t machine for the fuel pump rod. Not an issue if you’re willing to run an electric fuel pump.

6. Budget36

Budget36

I think ‘92, LT-1 came out in ‘93. But maybe the pre-LT-1 style was still around later in trucks? I’m just going by F-Body stuff.

7. squirrel

squirrel

you can put late 90s "vortec" heads on early blocks, so you can probably go the other way, too. But no fuel pump provision?

the major designs, (not counting the oddball LT1 reverse cooling, front distributor) were

55 no oil filter
    56-85 "normal"
    86 one piece rear seal, old design heads
    87-94 different intake bolt angle on 4 center bolts, center bolt valve covers
    95-99 "vortec" vertical intake bolts

The truck engines generally had flat tappet cams through 94, cars got rollers earlier.

8. Wrench97

Wrench97

Technically you can still buy one from GM today> https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/category/SB.html
    You can still find Target/Goodwrench engines in a lot of junkyard pieces you have go by the codes to know if the fuel pump lobe is on the cam or not, as stated many times above the older heads will work on the newer block.
    The trucks used the non-LT engine up to 02 I believe in lower HP versions.