Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Carson Tops

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by KomoG2, Jun 30, 2021.

1. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

was wondering something, bit of an obscure question but here goes,

I was wondering about Carson Tops the other day and wondered how they were perceived back in the day.

Mainly…

Who - Was the guy to go to
    What - Material(s) used
    Where - Location biases
    When - Time frame, years or eras
    Why - Where they popular or not
    How - what body styles were most popular

I have a 50 Shoebox Ford 4 door sedan and can’t get the idea of a chopped Carson Top on this ride out of my head. Albeit with a lot of other build ideas…

Any input or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced

2. There is a thread about these on here somewhere, I'm sure someone who does computer way better than me will post a link to it.

3. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Hey thanks guys.
    I’ll have to give that a read, thanks X38
    36roadster, I looked but didn’t find quite what I was looking for
    How about we post up some 4 door with Carson tops turn this into a picture thread??

4. Rand Man

Rand Man

Here’s the best example I have found, of a chopped, four door, Carson top. 1950 Lincoln. The doors open differently than your Ford, but the concept is the same. You have to reinforce the hell out of the center post. 0E763F05-16A2-49E9-A25D-98C4A1F3CF70.jpeg

5. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Hello, I built one in my project and it was a project but well worth the effort. My Merc is a 2 door but the concepts would be the same. You can see this on you tube under 1951 Mercury Lead Sled Project, Episode 5, also here in the H.A.M.B. hope it helps

6. My Carson Top Tub that I chopped 3 inches and built the Carson top frame for, upholstered by North Hollywood Upholstery in So Cal.
    [​IMG]

40FORDPU, AChopped1950ford and hfh like this.
  7. Same deal, on my 51 Merc. I built a rear seat back with round tubing inserted inside the original B pillar to give them strength along with a brace between the B pillar and the back seat floor. The main thing is to get the windshield posts reworked to look like a real convertible like I did on my car below. You'll have to brace the rear body section all the way around with square tubing or round rod . Do it, the hard work will pay off with a cool 50's style car. [​IMG]51 Merc

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    Frankie47 and AChopped1950ford like this.
  8. The main thing is to have the upholsterer go by original 40's 50's pictures of Carson style tops such as the string sewen in to form a line above the side windows

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    sideswipe likes this.
  9. Some of the shops were, Hal, Carson, Martenez, Sardos and North Hollywood Upholstery who is still in business.

10. If you like these Lincoln hubcaps I have some here on the parts HAMB'

11. SS327

SS327

We had a Carson Top shop in Hammond Indiana. Closed in the early to mid 70s.

12. How I did my tub carson top frame, then covered it with sheet aluminum one section at a time and took it to be upholstered.
    [​IMG]

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

I see that you're in Utah. Find the oldest trim shop in your vicinity, and pay them a visit. If they don't have any old guys there, ask 'em if they know of any retired or semi-retired trimmers that might enjoy working on old stuff, or on the side. Look specifically for convertible top shops, too. Might not be any in Utah anymore, but do some research and ask questions.
    Several years ago I found a guy that had been a trimmer since the late 40's working at a canvas shop! If you're anywhere near Lake Powell, I'd bet you can find someone who could help you out. The boating community probably uses more canvas than anyone else.
    I've had a couple of original Carson tops redone in the past, and if you find the right person, they absolutely LOVE working on them ... :cool:

KomoG2 likes this.
  14. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

For a complete review/ step by step on how to do a carson top google in ..........Ralph Jilek's 40 Ford restoration...........it is the Rix Hoving custom car page. It is 254 pictures how to do a carson top...........Fascinating to say the least

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  15. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

16. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

17. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

18. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

Isn't it Beautiful !! TomGloy40Ford186-vi.jpg TomGloy40Ford189-vi.jpg

49ratfink and KomoG2 like this.
  19. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

20. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Thanks for all the input everyone! I read the article on the Carson Too Shop and man, I am liking this route more and more.

AChopped1950ford and Special Ed like this.