Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1951 Mercury resurrection!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wide34, Dec 3, 2014.

1. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

2. Same thing happened to me. I sent a follow-up email and was accepted that day.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

just ran across this one today and see all that has been done so far. Looking forward to the continuation of the build

guthriesmith and loudbang like this.
  4. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I sent an email last Monday and got a quick reject back so I assume they aren't reading their emails and are already full. I should have followed up earlier especially after hearing you had the same problem. Look forward to seeing you at Stray Kat.
    Thanks!

5. Looking forward to seeing you as well! I just wish I would have booked my room back before the movie folks booked them all for the Stray Kat... May end up having to stay in Kansas or something at this point. :(

I also just found this thread on your Merc. Looks like you are making lots of progress and I will be following along now. It will be a kool ride!

chryslerfan55, drdave and loudbang like this.
  6. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Using a 351W with a c6 transmission as this will be a driver, definitely not going to be a hot rod but with a little rework should be able to 350 HP out of it. I did use a rear sump pan in order to get a better engine angle.
    The Merc originally had an automatic transmission and I don't know if the crossmember is different from the stick but it really worked out well for me, just had to weld up a few holes and drill new ones for the mount. Also added a 1 inch block to raise the transmission.
    IMG_1195.jpg IMG_1313.jpg
    Made up mount brackets and welded in
    IMG_1223.jpg IMG_1225.jpg IMG_1242.jpg
    Motor angle is closer to 9 degrees as it sits now, don't think it will be a problem with the new rear sump pan.

IMG_1311.jpg

Thanks for looking and hope you have a great day!

drdave, LAROKE, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  7. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Exchanged the dropped spindles for regular height spindles and installed. With the engine in the springs were way to stiff so cut 1 coil,
    IMG_1218 - Copy.jpg

Arms still aren't parallel but I'll wait to do any further cutting until I have all the weight back on the front end.

IMG_1320.jpg

Added door and fender to get idea of how it would look, front end will still come down an 1 1/2" to get arms parallel so I'm good with it and can still 'crawl" in and out!

IMG_1321.jpg

Need to make transmission tunnel cover and fill in firewall and then off to the media blaster.
    Thanks for looking.

Aussiepete., drdave and loudbang like this.
  8. Almost ready to turn the corner and have all the fab done. Gotta feel good!!

loudbang likes this.
  9. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

When I look back I’m amazed at how long I’ve been working on this but it’s gotten me thru Covid and as soon as it’s done I’ll bet I’ll be looking for something to start! See you in a couple of weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and drdave like this.
  10. What? Finish a car and look for another project to work on? You are doing it all wrong....you need 4 or 6 projects stacked up ready to go. LOL

Yes, we will be in Dewey in a couple weeks...with any luck we'll even have a running car. LOL

loudbang and Squablow like this.
  11. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

You sound just like my son and yes, he has at LEAST 6 projects he’s working on but one will be ready for Luckenrod!
    Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

My son and I and a couple of other friends had a great time at the Stray Kat, I especially appreciate Mick letting my son bring his OT car and he did get a lot of great comments about it. Fun to catch up with old friends and looking forward to next year!
    Continuing to put Merc together.

Finished building transmission tunnel
    IMG_1401.jpg

Found out I had a FMX transmission instead of a c-4 so had to modify shifter to fit

IMG_1415.jpg

Buttoned up and ready to start on the steering.

IMG_1416.jpg

Thanks for looking and really hope this is done in time for next Stray Kat, in the meantime hope some of you can make it to Luchenrod!

13. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was kool to see ya and glad to hear ya guys had a good time. I wanted to visit with you about your Merc but we didn't get the chance to visit. Looks like the Merc is coming together, thanks for posting the updates. Before too long it will be on the road.

guthriesmith and loudbang like this.
  14. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks Mick, I really believe you run the best show around. Unfortunately my son couldn't get away from his business until late Friday Aft. so we didn't get in until midnight and I know we missed a great chance to visit with a lot of folks but I'm thankful to have visited with as many as we did and looking forward to catching up with everyone else next year!

15. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I've found some 1964 tbird rear seats that I liked and am installing:
    IMG_1207.JPG

Bottom seat mounts and risers: IMG_1462.JPG
    IMG_1465.jpg

Mounting brackets back:
    IMG_1467[90953].jpg

Made the surround for the seat, speakers will go in center section:
    IMG_1488.jpg

Seats bolted in and are comfortable!
    IMG_1490.jpg

Haven't decided what to do for front seats yet, I originally wanted to install the 64 tbird seats but haven't been able to find any that are reasonable so thought I'd install 65 Mustang seats because I likes the low profile. any thoughts of doing a low profile seat quickly ended when my son got rear ended in an Austin Healey and was severely whip lashed- fortunately he is ok but car is totaled. I found some 2010 mustang seats but they just don't look right to me- maybe that's the price I have to pay to get high back seats but would appreciate any thoughts you may have.
    IMG_1500.jpg IMG_1497[90955].jpg

I did find a radiator that fits the Merc and will cool a 351.
    IMG_1431[90952].jpg

Still hoping to make Stray Kat next year but obviously need to hustle a little more!
    Happy 4th of July to everyone!

16. I agree that's a hard call. After having been rear ended while sitting in a '64 T-bird bucket, I can tell ya, it makes for a sore neck for a week or two. ;) But, still, I, too, prefer a low seat in cars like this. Safety vs cool.....it's tough. I'm swapping to 70 high back buckets in my 69 Mustang, but I still have all low seats in the other cars. I'm just a glutton for punishment I guess. LOL

loudbang likes this.
  17. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Always appreciate your comments! I came up on my son's accident about 15 minutes after it happened and it really shook me up. He was very lucky or someone was really watching out for him as the results could have been a lot worse. Fortunately he did have his seat belts on so he wasn't thrown from the car but as you said the whiplash caused a lot of pain. We drive our cars quite a bit so I'm committed to high back seats, my truck has them but the seats also back tight into the cab so pretty well protected. I think the 2010 mustang seats would work ok but just don't like how they look in the Merc. I've got plenty of other things to do for now so going to keep looking but always open to any suggestions.
    Take care.

loudbang likes this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

The older (early 2000's) Hondas (cough cough) have good looking buckets with headrests that are removable. They have 2 posts that go down into the top of the seats and with a push of the release they pull right out leaving behind two "bumps" maybe an inch long and 1/2 in inch tall.

You could leave them in daily but remove them when wanting to be "fancy" at shows or when the mood strikes.

drdave likes this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Check your "conversations" :)

20. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks for the heads up, I plan to take a couple of says and walk junkyards (ones that will still let me in) and see if I can find something I like better than the Mustang seats.

drdave and loudbang like this.
  21. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Still haven't decided on the seats but need to make a decision this week if I'm going to get the body to a sandblaster by Sept. 1. In the meantime have completed the detail stuff that needs to be done to get the rest of the car ready for blasting (that just sounds bad doesn't it.
    Installed the steering column and joints.
    IMG_1626[92130].jpg IMG_1509.jpg IMG_1507.jpg

I found a motorcycle gas nozzle that I liked and eliminated the gas door.
    IMG_1613.jpg IMG_1617.jpg IMG_1616 - Copy.jpg IMG_1618 - Copy.jpg IMG_1619.jpg

Found a brake assembly with a 10 inch arm that combined with a wilwood 15/16 inch piston will allow the Mwrc. to stop without power brakes. If it wont I'll most likely go the hydro boost route.
    IMG_1621.jpg IMG_1623.jpg IMG_1625.jpg

One thing I'm still debating and would appreciate comments on is the headlight rims. Originally I was going to french them in but a friend of mine spent a gazillion hours straightening out the rims and they look great so I felt I needed to install them as is. Still not sure that's the right answer.
    IMG_2670 - Copy.JPG IMG_2669 - Copy.JPG

Many thanks for looking, hope you had a productive week too.

LAROKE, drdave, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  22. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Making great progress, thank you for keeping us updated. You like to drive them so make sure the seats are comfortable and road worthy…

23. loudbang

loudbang

I vote for leaving them alone do not french :)

drdave, Slopok and echo ed like this.
  24. Squablow

Squablow

I also vote for a no-french, and maybe some less obtrusive parking lenses.

drdave likes this.
  25. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks Mick, appreciate the comments and really trying to get it done in time for the next Stray Kat!

Sancho and drdave like this.
  26. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I really appreciate your taking the time to post. Not sure what I can do about the parking lens but I won’t French them in, funny how I keep changing my mind!

Sancho, drdave and loudbang like this.
  27. Another vote for not frenching them in. I like the look as is. And, glad to see you are making some progress!

28. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I sure appreciate your comments and as I said earlier I’ve decided to leave them as is. I’m trying as hard as I can to make Stray Kat next year but as we all know sometimes life doesn’t let us do what we’d like to do! Hope you are doing well.

Sancho, loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  29. Late to the party and you've already decide, but I vote in favor of your choice and say no french. LOL

Lots of good progress! Keep that kind of production up and you'll have no problem making it to the SK!

Sancho likes this.