Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 Ford won’t go into third gear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flapystack, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Flapystack

Flapystack

Hey everybody, just bought a 51 Ford two sort sedan and it won’t go into third. All the other gears shift great. It almost like the gear is frozen. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Flapystack

Flapystack

I should also note it’s a flathead v8 and 3 on the tree.

3. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you disconnect the linkage at the trans will the trans lever move into gear?

4. Third is direct, that is it locks the input to the output and does not use any of the gears to transmit power. There is a sliding collar (synchronizer) that locks the input to the output for third but also slides the opposite direction to engage second. I would go directly to the transmission and disconnect the second / high linkage from the lever and see if I could get both second and third from moving that lever. If not the problem is in the trans, if I can get third from there moving the lever on the transmission the problem is in the shift linkage.

WB69 and jaracer like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that just about everyone is going to have the same suggestion that Jmountainjr and nosford gave.

I am assuming that the car is moving and that you aren't just trying this with the car sitting in the garage or driveway with the engine not running. Some times the syncros don't slip past each other all that well if the shaft isn't turning.

First step is putting the car in neutral and taking the shift linkage loose from the 2-3 gear shift arm and seeing if you can move between gears by hand. I'd say you want to do this with the rear tires or at least one rear tire off the ground. That will lessen any bind that the driveshaft is putting on the output shaft.

Ralphies54 likes this.
  6. Flapystack

Flapystack

So I did both remove the linkage and tried to get it gear with no load. Third is frozen. I’m just gunna pull the flatty and drop a 350 in. Thanks for all the help guys.

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Giving up so quick,pull the trans and take it apart and they are a easy trans to work on.

8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Yeah, a complete engine swap is always the solution for a transmission problem.:rolleyes:
    Just curious, have you ever put a Chevrolet in one of these? "Drop in" is a relative term.

9. Flapystack

Flapystack

It has a go cat “ built” flathead in it and I just don’t want to goof up such a high value engine. If it was an easy fix I was just going to drive it for awhile.

10. Flapystack

Flapystack

Guy said it had a mercury rotating assembly, but who knows.

Attached Files:

11. If i had a "built" flathead in a 51 Ford, I'd fix the tranny.

Bandit Billy and WB69 like this.
  12. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

Three speed manual transmissions are not that complicated. I tore one apart and repaired it when I was 18 in a gravel driveway long before there was a Google and people on the HAMB to ask for advice...

Truck64, 57Custom300 and ffr1222k like this.
  13. Flapystack

Flapystack

I hear you guys. Any idea how much this thing might be worth?

14. Yep! That will cure the tranny issue alright. With a built flat head without at least replacing the existing tranny which would be easier and cheaper than "dropping in a shivrola". I would like to have your money.

15. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I'd give up on the idea that your flathead is worth tons of money if that is what you are thinking. Unless you have extensive paperwork and the builder of the flathead to vouch for it, it's just another used flathead. It will be a gamble for a buyer. Used flatheads are hit or miss. Many of us have had the experience of a seller telling us tall tales about how the engine was built that turned out to be mostly BS.

16. Too bad, I was curious to find out what went wrong with the tranny. :(

leon bee likes this.
  17. Mac VP

Mac VP

These transmissions are quite simple and easy to work on (unless it’s the overdrive type). From the OP’s original description I’d say that the inserts or the wire springs in the synchronizer are buggered on the high gear side, preventing the slider from moving over to the high gear side. A quick tear down would show what the problem is, regardless of this or any other issue.

ottoman and 302GMC like this.
  18. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

*Disclaimer* I am not trying to be a prick here, but.....

If you can't fix this simple transmission problem (And Van Pelt should have all the parts and diagrams you need), I guarantee a Chebbie engine (and transmission) swap will not go well for you. This sort of tomfoolery is how good intentions turn into cobbled up, piece of shit, unfinished projects that get sold for penny's on the dollar if they are lucky or spend the rest of eternity rotting into the ground if they are not.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    warhorseracing likes this.
  19. Flapystack

Flapystack

So I found this 1951 merc transmission for a good deal. I know I would have to modify the clutch linage a bit to make it work. Is there anything else major I would have to consider?
    Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

20. goldmountain

goldmountain

Why don't you just take off the two shift arms and remove the inspection plate? There isn't a whole lot of complicated stuff in there. That Merc transmission looks like an overdrive unit. If your current one isn't an overdrive, this would complicate matters. How much experience do you have with old cars?

21. Flapystack

Flapystack

Not too much, 0 with transmissions. I didn’t notice the overdrive unit.

22. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you’ve got a good flattie, pull and fix the original transmission. If the Merc one will work and has an overdrive, buy it too. I don’t know, but someone here will. I rebuilt a later model T 86 o/d and a T 85 o/d before I was 18, and there’s not much difference.

A good flathead and an overdrive was a premium combination then, and it still is. You don’t say where you’re from, but even more so if you’ve got hills.

Good luck

23. The easiest fix is get the parts from Van Pelts and fix what is in there now. There are U Tube videos out there to guide you along. Adding an overdrive with NO experience is already over your head so do the right thing and fix what you have. If you want to get the overdrive tranny for later when you have learned a little then get it and tear into it to check it out. You will need to research the overdrive tranny, get the extra bits to install it and it may not work. Go with what you have and fix it.

24. Flapystack

Flapystack

I’ll check out van pelts, thanks for all the advice guys.

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a deep rooted problem, I'd leaves it to a professional rather than branch out on my own. Some things aint clear cut. Knot that you are stumped or nothing...but then again you axed.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I kinda agree, let someone who is a little more knowledgeable look at it. It may be able to be cured without having to pull the trans.

(Years ago I had a trans that wouldn't go into 3rd gear...no matter what I tried. Finally gave up...that's the last Powerglide I'll ever own);)

27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]

The Mercury used a Round bellhousing adapter like Ford F1 and pre '49 V8s...You don't want to get in to all that...

28. goldmountain

goldmountain

Reminds me back in the grade 9 science class, the teacher taught on how a basic car works. On a quiz, we were presented with a schematic drawing of a 3 speed transmission and asked what gear is it in? Easy enough for 14 year olds to figure out.

29. goldmountain

goldmountain