Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects King of Trucks Chapter IV…new beginnings

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by terd ferguson, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Hey, Terd!!!! Great to "see" you and even better that you got the King back in your fleet!! We need to get together and catch up!!

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  2. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I think I’m going to leave the battery in the bed for now. The head pipes aren’t that close. There is a good size stock hole I didn’t fill (where the foot starter used to be) where the trans hump/floor meets the firewall in the center. That’s the biggest heat culprit. My shifter and speedo cables are running through that hole. I’m taking care of that now. Thanks!

Thanks buddy, miss you!!

3. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Took a little break and headed up to the mountains to recharge, get back to nature, get grounded, and just relax. I’m back at it hard.

I took my kick panels all the way apart. The vent doors are a little roached so I’m going to get new ones, already have new cables. I cleaned up inside the kick panels and got por-15 all in there. I’ve started laying the Kilmat on the floor and firewall. I’m going to cover everything in the cab I’m able to, including under the headliner and inside the doors. The Kilmat is good for sound deadening, but not really good insulation. I’ll put the double sided foil bubble wrap on top of the Kilmat for insulation, I don’t like the jute stuff as it tends to hold water. The goal is to have it as quiet and cool as possible.

After the Kilmat and insulation are down, I’ll rebuild those kick panel vents with new vent doors and cables. And then I’ve got to remove the fuel tank to get Kilmat and insulation under there and on the back cab wall. But first I’ve got to run some gas out to make it easier to remove.

Should be at the “remove the fuel tank” step in a couple of days or so.

09781E33-43DA-4B7F-A62D-7C8975C89066.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  4. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I’ve put down the Kilmat everywhere I could get to on the floor except under and behind the gas tank. I need to run about a half a tank out before I try to remove the gas tank.

Until then, next up is putting down Kilmat on the kick panels, installing the new kick panel vent doors (I painted them) and cables, and then laying down the double sided foil bubble wrap insulation. If it doesn’t rain, I’ll try to get all that done tomorrow.

828839B0-01DA-4F63-9D91-5E2930F38DE9.jpeg

5. loudbang

loudbang

Just a heads up on "double sided foil bubble wrap insulation" I use a leftover strip of it on the armrest of my chair that I sit in to look at HAMB. The rest is rock hard plastic so added the insulation for a bit of cushioning.

Works great .............. for awhile. I would guess it's been on a couple of months and most of the time most of my forearm rests on it but sometimes I sit with just my elbow on the rear section of it. Well the front portion is holding up fine BUT the rear where my pointed elbow rests is all flattened out, all the tiny bubbles popped, so now it's just thin plastic with foil now.

So just a warning if you want to put it below the throttle where your heel rests it will probably wear out fairly quickly. :(

6. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Cool story, cool truck and cool thread. I have a 55 2nd series 3600 project. Love it!
    You're moving right along on this one. One thing kept bothering me while reading through this thread...your tranny issue that just went away. I hope the best for you and that it never comes back but cant help think something will happen at the worse time. Maybe check the neutral safety switch?? I'm no expert though, but did have an issue with that on a T350 once. Or just forget about the issue since it seems to have worked itself out. Good luck and keep at it!!

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks. It’s a 59 Cadillac hydramatic four speed trans. There is no neutral safety switch. When I put the engine and trans in the truck, they were both recently rebuilt with less than 5,000 miles. I suspect the shifter linkage on the trans amd shifter cable were in a bind or the cable was at a funny angle. The shift patter is P N D S(123) L(12) R. So when I first got it running again after sitting, it would go and then not go when in gear in the driveway. So I shifted all the way down in reverse, and my bud just lightly pushed on the trans shifter linkage on the trans with a broomstick from under the hood, and it went and hasn’t stopped going.

8. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I can also report that the Kilmat on the floor and firewall has worked out pretty well. The cab feels more “solid” and the noise is reduced. Definitely less tin canny sounding and feeling. I still have a lot of noise in the doors. There is no window run felt, no weatherstripping, no door bumper rubbers, no real vent window rubber left, amd all the latch and window regulator components are slap worn out. I have all new stuff for that but I really want to get the cab and interior in good shape before moving on to the doors. It’s raining all day today so I can’t really get anything done. But I’ll try to get back on it tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  9. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

That truck... sits... PERFECT... Tri 5's are (IMO) some of the best looking ever built, and when the stance is right... oh Mamma!
    I've not seen previous threads, but may I ask what got that beauty sitting how it does?

10. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks a bunch. Whenever I start building a bike or a car, stance is THE most important part and something I spend the most time on. In the back is drop mono leaves and drop shackles. In the front is Sid’s drop axle and three leaves removed. I linked the three previous threads in the first post of this thread if you ever feel like checking it out.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  11. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Thank you sir, I'm on it & BTW diggin' your thread!

12. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I got the Kilmat all inside the kick panels. But I’ve somehow lost my new vent cables (the old ones were ugly and one was seized), and the local shop is out of stock. So I can’t get the vent doors installed and cabled up just yet.

Also, there’s still too much fuel in the tank to remove that for Kilmat under and behind it. So I put on the new front bumper and brackets I got with the truck. Looks decent enough, but all six holes don’t line up, just four. Repops. I would’ve got the new rear bumper on as well, but almost had a heat stroke with the front. It’s hot here.

Immediate future plans are install rear bumper, drill out the two front bumper bracket holes that don’t line up, remove old headliner and get Kilmat up there, wait for vent cables in the mail from a different supplier, and run more gas out so I can remove the tank for Kilmat and insulation. I guess I’m getting pretty good mileage because it’s taking longer than I thought lol. I think that’s pretty much it before I can start to get paint inside the cab and dash and put carpet in.

FFC7F48D-E86A-4225-8C16-CA06E9DBC7B2.jpeg

43829BE1-C073-424A-B45C-F94167C42DCF.jpeg

13. Budget36

Budget36

You could siphon the fuel out, do the Kilmat, pour the fuel back in.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  14. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I just finished reading the 1st 3 threads... and am up to date on this one. What a hoot! I'm having a hard time getting out of my chair, my neck is locked up and my wife is getting impatient... something about there's more to life than sitting in front of a computer for 2 days, I don't know...
    However, being caught up on your incredible "King of Trucks" saga I must say it's all impressive as are you & your buds. I can't get my head around the whole "pink scheme", but never the less, it looks righteous!

15. havi

havi

Yessssss!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  16. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Lame excuse, but I don’t have anything big enough to hold eight gallons.

Thanks dude.

Thanks.

17. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

So today I took out the old headliner and got Kilmat on the roof. I installed the kick panel vent doors and painted the kick panel vent louvered covers. Still waiting for the new cables to arrive to button those up. I put down some double sided foil with jute for insulation. That should be about as good as it’s going to get for noise and heat reduction. I tried to mount the rear bumper but two of the four holes on the brackets don’t line up with the frame holes.

I should have a proper 55 seat in a couple of days, I had been making due with a 70s car seat since I got the truck. So next up is the fixing the front and rear bumper holes that don’t quite line up, Kilmat and insulation under and behind the gas tank, carpet, buttoning up the kick panel area when the cables arrive, and stripping the new old seat for new foam and hog ringing my black and white tuck n roll cover on it.

1C209C93-0A10-4D62-8CBF-F12DB07DC824.jpeg

001520A6-B12B-4A99-98BC-2FF0B57B80A0.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  18. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I got the two front bumper holes fixed up with bolts in them. I can also report that with the Kilmat and the double sided foil with jute have done wonders for the interior. Cabin noise is down 60% and temperature is down 70% but I don’t have any paperwork to back that up. The doors are still loud with rattles, I imagine that the cabin will be even nicer after Kilmat in there and full rebuild of all the door components. But that’s after I finish the rest of the interior.

I’m going to try to get the rear bumper on and sorted later this evening when it cools down some. And I’ll be picking up the new old seat tonight as well. I’ll try to get that down to the frame and maybe painted this evening.

19. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I like that kick-stand exhaust...

20. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Jones St.

Jones St.

Wrap the fuel tank w/that silver foil bubble wrap from Menards/Lowes/ect. It really makes a difference. Glad to see you & your build back. Now to quote (which I stolen) you from year past 'Time to git down, wit da git down".

22. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. I’m trying to cross something off the list every day.

23. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I picked up the new throne yesterday. Separated back from bottom and gave it a good wipe down in preparation for removing the old covers.

D2B5B231-12AC-4B72-A1DA-4FEEAA851D95.jpeg

24. 51box

51box
    from MA

Really neat truck, Cadillac power to boot. I used Kilmat and two layers of that bubble wrap foil in my coupe and it works really well, you’ll be happy with the results.

TrailerTrashToo, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks a lot man.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  26. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I got the rear bumper bracket holes fixed. But like some of the repop stuff goes, it’s pulled about a half inch to the left. Meh. I’ll have to fix that.

A4843BD3-D75E-40AA-BEBA-D30B6984B034.jpeg

27. belair

belair

Yay! Glad the boomerang came home.

kidcampbell71, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  28. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks bud.

loudbang likes this.
  29. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Today, I got some supplies. Got chrome rear turn signal brackets to replace the painted ones. Got some “place holder” black carpet. I got some other truck parts I’ll use later. And I got stage one of the big ass stereo (2 4.5s, 2 6.5s, and a Bluetooth head unit). Subs and amp will be stage two later. The 4.5s will go in the kick panel covers I’ve got. I’ll have to make a bracket for the 6.5s to go in the corners at the back of the cab. They won’t be obstructed behind the seat so it should sound nice.

When I mentioned “place holder” carpet, what I mean is that the black carpet and black and white tuck n roll seat cover is temporary so I can roll relatively clean til I’m ready to take it to the next level (think Eddie Martinez lil nugget interior). Just something to cover the foil insulation for now.

Also today, I broke that new old seat down all the way. Found three mummified mice (it was in a barn for 30 years). It’s now a bare frame. I’m trying to source some foam locally so I can get the cover situated. I painted the back today, I’ll paint the bottom tomorrow.

So new immediate agenda is get foam and do the seat, remove the gas tank for the insulation and carpet install, swap seats, make speaker brackets and install the stage one stereo (I’ve really been missing music), and some other little ten minute jobs I’ve been putting off for bigger jobs. Then hopefully interior paint.

71116253-7E7E-4C5F-B361-F11617AB1AE7.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  30. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Terd, that is a sweet looking truck. I too am glad you are back brother.

loudbang likes this.