Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Question about audio speakers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodjohn71, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Hotrodjohn71

Hotrodjohn71

For classic cars that have one speaker hole on the dash, they make these speakers that bolt right in that allow you to play a left and right channel to get stereo out of that one speaker hole. They make two Styles. One style is to separate speakers side by side, and the other style is a single speaker unit with two voice coils. My question is for those who have experience with these two kinds of units, what is the benefit of one over the other? I would like to purchase one but do not have any feedback on the benefits of one over the other.

Attached Files:

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not much help but I bought one for my Ranch Wagon with the 2 speakers side by side. I haven't installed it yet but I haven't heard any negative feedback (no pun intended).

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  3. hedg12

hedg12

The larger dual voice coil speaker will more easily reproduce lower frequencies & might give a little fuller sound, but I've never heard either so I can't say from experience.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Haven't finish install but I can tell you the single dual cone speaker type has left and right channel going into main speaker as well. Which in "my guess" if correct, it should have a more fuller sound.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.

5. Hotrodjohn71

Hotrodjohn71

Thank you. That makes sense. A fuller sound is what I like these days over how it was when I was younger and cranked it up all the way.

6. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Traditional would be a speaker in front and a speaker in the rear deck with a fader switch wired in to control front rear bias. I thought I was really cool with that setup in my 51 Mercury coupe in 1963. Had a similar setup in my 55 Buick in 1966.
    Actually speakers and sound systems all depend on your personal tastes and your ears. There isn't a thing wrong with having a few hidden speakers if that is what your ear wants.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  8. Have a 6X9 dual voice coil single speaker in the dash of my 55 and the two separate speaker unit in my Falcon. The dual voice coil single speaker has much better bass then the other two speaker unit. Both sound okay to my old ears!

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Good to "hear".

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  10. 5window

5window

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

This thread had me having to hear the single 6x9 dual cone I put up in the front of the red 56. Ran a quick power source and Wow, impressive!. Interior will be full of sound once I install the other one in the stock location of the rear deck.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.