Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1940/41 Cadillac 62 series convertible disappearing vent window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucas doolin, Jun 29, 2021.

1. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Many, years ago I remember a very unique feature on a 1940/41 (2 door) Cadillac convertible donated to our small town charity auction. With the side window up, there was a vent window. When you rolled the side window down, there was a "stop" and then you could continue cranking the window handle and the vent window slowly rotated rearward and disappeared into the door, leaving the window opening completely unobstructed. Would appreciate any info you might provide on the window/vent window regulator for duplication. Thanks

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Could you be thinking of mid - '30s Chrysler built cars ?

3. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Nope. Definitely Cadillac but perhaps a 1940. 1939 at the earliest. There did not appear to be anything else custom about the car. It came from a local estate and was fairly rusty but that disappearing vent window was really trick.
    I have a 1941 Lincoln Zephyr Club Coupe (5 window) and would like to remove the top, chop the windshield and add a modern top with tulip panel like CadMad did on his Packard. The disappearing vent window would be a worthwhile "embellishment".

4. The rear side glass on these models were on a "quadrant" which pivoted in one corner. Maybe that's the bit you remember?

5. SR100

SR100

I've seen them on two different 30s cars, but I don't remember one being Cadillac. Here's a Hudson disappearing vent window in action:

I don't recall the other brand, but it functioned differently. The vent window dropped into the door with the window. I had a pic, but its on a drive I can't currently access.

6. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

With age, my short term memory has begun to go south, but I remember the Cadillac distinctly. Abe, you're probably right about it's being a 1940. Fomoco (Ford and Mercury) went from no vent window in 1939 to a vent window on coupes and convertibles in 1940. The vent window on the Cadillac pivoted at the front and the forward facing edge (the stainless frame) lowered to become flush with the top edge of the door. I was fascinated by it (think Little Johnny joke here) and activated it several times.