Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Looks to be a Woody car on the left and a Don Long on the right.

loudbang likes this.
  2. 6sally6

6sally6

I REALLY wanna know the story on this!!!
    Some kinda 'reverse' set-up with the intake and exhaust reversed?.....WHY?!!
    6sally6

Deuces likes this.
  3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Reversed...what reversed ?
    Both the intake and the exhaust are both on the same side of the head..!

Mike

mad mikey and enloe like this.
  4. 6sally6

6sally6

What???!
    Intake is on the 'inside' of the head(see intake manifold)
    Exhaust is on the 'outside' of the head(see exhaust headers)
    But you know that already!!!!........
    Your post lost me
    6sally6

Deuces likes this.
  5. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

6sally6 look real close at that picture the intake and exhaust ports are on the same side of the head there is no provision in the valley for ports at all under the blower you can see the headers hanging down

6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Dudette -

You need new spectacles..!

Mike

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Look at the head laying on the ground to the left. Notice the intake port between the exhaust ports? Feeling a little silly right now?

ottoman likes this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am more interested in the parts in the background. I take it this was at the Dragmaster shop, judging by the car. The offset quickchange, could that be out of the "Two Thing" ? A little research tells me that the the offset on the Two Thing, was to the other side, and didn't use the Ford housing.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    bchctybob likes this.
  9. noboD

noboD

Rich, if you are confused it makes me feel better. I don't understand either. I always thought intake on one side and exhaust the other, crossflow, was the best instead of the flow having to change direction 180 degrees.

10. 6sally6

6sally6

Doh!
    Guess I needed a bigger pic!!
    Still like to hear what they were trying to make happen!
    Gotta admit it's a wicked set-up!!!!!!!!!

Deuces likes this.
  11. Fordors

Fordors

I believe that is Mickey’s shop and the car might be the Attempt I without the aluminum body. Attempt I was a Dragmaster chassis running Tempest four cylinder engines for FIA speed runs. It had a full aluminum body by Sorrell.
    That rear end in the background could be from the Challanger.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    bchctybob, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That makes sense !

bchctybob and mad mikey like this.
  13. Fordors

Fordors

The photo raises more questions than it answers. Who came up with the idea for the heads? Mickey, Fritz Voight, or Pontiac Engineering? The injectors look to make the induction systems stick out only about as far as the slicks. Was there a plan to run that engine in Attempt I to try for records in a higher class? I think the body could have been easily modified with a couple scoops on the sides to do that.

bchctybob and mad mikey like this.
  14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

From what I can tell...THAT head is on the GROUND...NOT on the engine..!
    NOW...who's feeling silly ?

Mike

bchctybob likes this.
  15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Not me. I was just pointing out to 6sally6 that you were right about the intake and exhaust being on the same side of the head. How did you read it?

ottoman and mad mikey like this.
  16. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

My question would be where does Bruce Crower fit into the picture? He did a similar conversion to chevy heads for some Indy car engines. I'm not sure if his project matches the time frame of Thompson or if they came later.

bchctybob, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  17. Fordors

Fordors

55B686C4-0E25-46A0-8B2D-C47A7F322016.png

Bruce’s effort was 10 years after M/T’s, Attempt I was used for record runs in 1960.

18. jnaki

jnaki

Drag News upload_2021-6-29_4-45-8.png

Hello,

Back in 1959, everything was very clear for us teenagers. We were racing the 58 Impala, filming almost everything we liked in drag racing and just having a great time being teenagers. The weekly lunches of hot dogs, chili dogs and tamales with the ever present large Coke also were part of our weekly adventure.

Although we live nearby and if a part or two was necessary, we quickly drove home to pick it up. Or to a nearby local speed shop for the necessary part. But, for the weekly lunches and dinners, it was easier to just hang out and eat our supply of hot dogs, chili dogs and tamales.

The memories of those time were clear and on film. But, many years later, watching those films the names and hot rod builds were in “foggy land.” There were still some un-named film clips that we knew when we filmed them back in 58-60, but over the years, they got lost in the jungle.

We knew most of the racers that had cool Altered Coupes, Gas Coupe racers and even the FED racers. The memories were sharp as we kept getting accustomed to seeing the top racers in So Cal each weekend. This white modified roadster had all of the qualities that my brother liked and after our Willys Coupe incident, he was considering building a modified roadster for the next level of competition.
    upload_2021-6-29_4-46-59.png

So, this fast modified roadster was from Long Beach, our local hot speed shop, Reath Automotive and also from Delta Machine Company. But, the name of the sponsor less roadster kept pounding on our brains, but could not remember who and what…

Jnaki

Finally: The white altered roadster was the original Delta Machine, Modified Roadster. I matched up the film and the research information, along with the early photos. This is/was the Delta Machine Modified Roadster and later changed to the A/H Roadster Class.

Now, the unnamed film clip from 1958-59 can now be put to rest. On to the next nameless film clip for posterity.

1959 Lions white altered roadster to 1959 early Delta Machine Modified Roadster.

posted 2020 Friday Art
    upload_2021-6-29_4-56-34.png
    Hello,

Reath Automotive had connections with the Delta Machine Shop and coordinated the early blower drives for sale to the local hot rod/drag race people. The Delta Machine Shop also created their well known custom crankshafts and other machined racing parts for the drag race community. While Reath Automotive was still in the 10th and Cherry location, Delta Machine had a small shop up in the Signal Hill area near the Bill Stroppe warehouse.

"Huey Holik owned Delta Machine up by Stroppe. He did blower drives and blower plates.”

It was a nice looking roadster, similar to a lot of the modified full bodied roadsters of the day during 1959-60. After the sad loss of Mickey Brown at Lions Dragstrip in 1959, Delta Machine was part of a large group of hot rod/drag race builders/manufacturers that contributed to the Mickey Brown Memorial Race held at Lions. For the Modified Roadster Class they donated a set of their custom Boxed Rods to supplement the winning A/R on that day.
    upload_2021-6-29_4-59-11.png

Jnaki

Could this be an early version of the Delta Machine Shop Roadster without the sponsorship logos?
    upload_2021-6-29_4-59-49.png

upload_2021-6-29_5-0-13.png

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
  19. Thanks JNAKI for the write up and video. Wonderful stuff.:)

jnaki likes this.
  20. With a very rare Chet Herbert Injector

21. Yes, correct...there was at least 1 for sale in the Tom Hanna auction.

mad mikey likes this.
  22. Gonna say that's a Deist face shield...
    [​IMG]

23. James Warren looking pretty comfy in the office...
    [​IMG]

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

25. Gary Cagle---1959 Lions Dragstrip. Water squirting out of an overflow in the back. The back of the picture says "Split Cylinder Wall" Cagle Beach.jpg

26. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

This face mask looks...um...a little weird..!?

[​IMG]

Mike