Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Lonestar Roundup 2021 roadtrip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fry, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

I've been thinking with it happening in September this year, that this should be the year me and the wife drive down and experience it.
    If the border opens up as hoped I'll be making the 30 hour trip down there.
    Hope the old jalopy holds together.
    Any advice on the event itself, or Austin?
    Who else is going?
    I'm not that big into shows, but from all account this should be worth the trip, and its a good excuse to try some authentic Texas bbq :D

Capture.JPG

2. hepme

hepme

I'm a geezer and been to far too many shows, but this is the best one i've ever experienced. I can only speak for the central show at the fairgrounds and i'm sure others will tell you about the happenings in Austin at that time. I would imagine you better find a place to stay now, Austin and the surrounding areas are big and you'll want to be close to where the rod action takes place.

Stogy and Fry like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

My advice would be go to as many shop parties and gathering as possible. And make sure
    Your comfortable driving 80+mph in heavy traffic.

Otherwise go and have fun :)

4. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

haha, thanks. I’m comfortable doing that, the car isn’t. Actually it’s not that bad, but I normally take it a bit slower.

5. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

I have a room booked on South Congress. Trying to stay near some fun areas without having to find parking. And also stay out of the ghettos and from what I’ve read the growing homeless camps. But not sure if there’s somewhere else I should be thinking of looking?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  6. hepme

hepme

Somebody on this board will tell you the main hotels/motels where the car dudes stay. Beware of anyplace you have to park outside where no security is present. Horror stores abound about this.

Stogy, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Yeah, lets have some locals chime in here. I have read how Austin and South Congress has changed

8. I only live 90 miles east of LSR. Been to 13 out of 20—take my deuce fri am sleep on grounds fri nite and leave noon sat for college station. Home by 4pm saturday! C5B074AD-5D0D-4BDD-89B0-1548BEA9D094.jpeg 08F6B95E-11E4-4B39-AAB7-A3089D4215D3.jpeg

Stogy, loudbang, stillrunners and 3 others like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I mentioned fit because that’s roughly how fast all the traffic moved when I was in Austin last. Maybe set the gps for surface street routes? I was surprised at how fast traffic was so figured it was worth a heads up.

Stogy, Fry and rod1 like this.
  10. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Thanks. 80+mph isn't bad in the car, though my fuel mileage doesn't like it.. haha. Also the drums don't appreciate quick stops at those speeds. But I'll feel that part out when we are there. Its a vacation so I try not getting wrapped up in hurrying everywhere, thats what everyday life is for. ;)

Hopefully someone can chime in with advice on hotels/motels to stay at.

Stogy, loudbang and Tim like this.
  11. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Just stay off I35 unless you want stop and go traffic.

Stogy, loudbang and Fry like this.
  12. I recommend getting off of 35 in Fort Worth, heading SW to highway 281. It's a much more pleasant and scenic drive. And, if the traffic is bad on 35 (which it usually is) it's not much longer time-wise.

Take highway 67west near Alvarado,TX to 220 south to Hico, TX, then 281 south, then highway 71 east just south of Marble Falls. I always take this route when heading south in Texas. Too many crazies and construction on 35, and as I said, it's scenic.

Stop at the Blubonnet Cafe in Marble Falls!

Stogy, loudbang, KKrod and 8 others like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good call on jumping off 35 at Fortwortg. We hit it at the wrong time and we sat idling, or crawling close to, for hours. Should have just pulled off and had dinner somewhere we could see the road and waited for it to clear. Changing to a back road would have been genius

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Stogy and stillrunners like this.
  14. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

when i gets closer to go time , maybe start up another thread with your intended route . if you have a break down you could be getting HAMB friendly help if you throw up a post looking for help.

Stogy, loudbang, Tim and 2 others like this.
  15. Good smart advice from Dan Hay,I35 sucks

16. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Hopefully you didn't just jinx me, haha. Just kidding, that's good advice.
    This is what I'm thinking currently. Head down the east route and back up west. Hit 10 different states on the trip. Looks exhausting lol. 8-10 hour driving days, three down, and three up. Hopefully give myself some extra time when it gets closer to the date, depending on work. (and I'll work out the route better later on as well, avoiding I35 and what not as advised).
    I did a trip out in Western Canada in 2019 and stuck to 6 hour days, it was pretty easy, and fairly comfortable, so I don't think it should be that bad.
    a route.JPG

wackdaddy, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  17. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

There is the toll road to the east of Austin but you have to get to Georgetown first to enter. I don't know what the cost is to drive it anymore but if your a vet it is free

18. Sounds like a great trip! I'm on the part of your route that goes through the middle of Oklahoma along I-35 and can sure help if you have anything come up in that area. Oh, and my advice for the roundup would be to not miss the
    Friday garage crawl if they have it with the alternate dates. Pretty sure that is my favorite part of the roundup and where I have met tons of friends from all over the world. I love touring some of the shops down in that area.

19. Man, there is some BORING driving on that EAST route, like most of it!

20. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

thanks for the offer!
    The garage crawl is what I’d look forward to the most. As long as the trip down goes smooth, I’ll be attending that for sure.

21. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

yeah, most of the driving from Saskatchewan is terrible, so I’m used to it. Haha. I was looking to see what places/sights I might be driving through, or near, but not really a whole lot jumps out. At least nothing that would be worth being behind schedule.
    we’ve been to most everything in the northern states as well, already.

Stogy, loudbang and Tman like this.
  22. The world famous Nostalgia Sid’s Dropped Axles is just a couple miles from my place...about 5 miles off I-35. :D

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Nice! Could stop in and see Mcphail at his head quarters in Witchita and the speedway museum in Lincoln on your way home!

Stogy, guthriesmith and Fry like this.
  24. Happy trails to you and the wifey !

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool. If I had the 48 done I would be planning a trip from here.
    From my last time in Austin driving a compact rental car on 35 the drivers on that road in Austin are not only nuts but aggressive.
    If your wife watches HG tv you will no doubt be hitting Waco and the silos going in one direction or the other though. Rooms can be hard to get there too.
    If you have a few days some of the towns in the Texas "Hill country" such as Fredricksberg can be pretty interesting

I've got a niece in Austin, a sister in law outside of Blanco who is a few miles due south of Martin Brothers out in the cedar breaks and a Sister in law in Waco. Wife was born and raised in Central TX.
    We lived in McGregor a few miles west of Waco the first 8 years we were married.
    I'd agree that if you want to get in on the night time activity on Congress you had probably try to get a room in a hotel right in the area. Some can no doubt say which ones have the secure parking.

The good thing is that Texas "back roads" often are better roads than a lot of other states "good roads". Gas stations may be a bit far apart out in West Texas if you have a small tank though.

Stogy, guthriesmith and Fry like this.
  26. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Thanks for the info, I can squeeze about 2 hours of solid driving out of a tank. Not great, but will pack a gas can if there’s room. Lol.

Stogy, loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  27. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

S congress is a congested mess to move around anymore during Round up. I normally stay on the north side of town to avoid the hustle and bustle of that area etc.

The show is almost too large, you will be hard pressed to see it all in a day... But the cars that come are from all over like yourself are cool and alot of good new stuff no one has seen before and some good ole magazine cars etc also. A few good shops on the garage crawl to go see things at. Austin Speed Shop has a good party if your into that. Continental Club is always a happening joint if your wanting live music and drinks also.

Don't forget about the cruise in at Top Notch Burgers on friday night. Good food, bands, and place is packed with cool rides. This is my absolute favorite part of going to Austin to Round up. Probably the main reason I even consider going again.

key notes:
    Austin Traffic sucks.
    Austin Traffic sucks bad.
    Homeless are everywhere now.
    No plastic bags anywhere
    No plastic straws
    Very few good BBQ places left there.
    Its Yupie Texas...

So please don't grade our state on your experience in Austin.
    Caution:
    It will be in September, Temp will be 80 at night and 100 during the day.... So hope your ok with the heat....

Stogy, loudbang, Tman and 2 others like this.
  28. hepme

hepme

What Stubbs said is totally true-Texas is/has changed from a nice place to live to live at your own risk. Years past, have a flat and 2-3 folks stopped to help. Its the same now, except those "folks" are packin', crusin' and lookin' for the next sucker to stop. Had a problem with my 40 on I-10 coming back from San Antonio Key to the Hills rod run. Had to stop on the side of the fwy., -first one, then two, then about a dozen rods stopped to help. Car went by with 4 thugs looking for a mark, they sped up when they saw us. I've wondered how it would have ended if the great rod guys wern't there. State trooper came by and told us they do that day and night, looking for the easy payday-and to please hurry up since we were creating a huge traffic jam with the passing traffic looking at the rods.

loudbang and Fry like this.
  29. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

The shop crawl is a must. We enjoyed the swap meet almost as much as the show. Hang out for the mini bike races. There is some merit to staying on the north side or in a suburb and driving in to visit. We stayed in Pflugerville and drove in to cruise Congress and to the show. It was quieter out there at night.

loudbang, Fry and guthriesmith like this.
  30. We stayed on North side along I35, but not far from the fairgrounds.
    I found that driving on the surface level local lanes was easier than using the elevated express lanes for getting around in the city.