Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 GRILL SHELL ON 31 MODEL A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Willywash, Jun 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Willywash

Willywash

I intended on running a 31 grill shell on my five window coupe. Wanted to run the car with the hood to protect from rain. This is a fender less car. After getting close to this part of the project, the 31 shell I have is not worthy of the car. Friend said, Buy a 32 shell. I know using a 32 shell is quite common. Question is, Can I use the 31 hood with the 32 shell? Would there be a lot of modification?

2. Hood should work but you will have to use the Model A mount for the hinge. If you still have the filler on the top of the radiator it will need to be moved. The '32 neck is farther forward than the Model A. On my AVATAR the fill neck has been moved to under the hood and a cap and emblem attached using a strip of metal. Filling the opening on top of the shell also works.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS and egads like this.
  3. Fitting the 30/31 hood shouldn't be a problem, the Model A hood measures 31 7/16 " the 32 hood is 32". HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. -Brent-

-Brent-

I hear you on 31 grill shells. I think they're the best of the era. In order to find a good (no great ones, yet) I've accumulated a bunch of them.

1931 Ford Grill Shells.jpg

5. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought the A hood had to be shaved down at the front just a smidge to work with a '32 shell. The hood that came with my car was shortened, I don't have a stock A hood to compare with but it can't be more than a quarter of an inch.

6. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I agree with Charlie 100%, I'm running a 32 grill on my 30 A, running the Model A hinge mount and an after market radiator with a dummy 32 neck. You can see the Model A hinge tacked to the shell in the first picture, not sure if the mounting holes will match up on a stock Model A radiator. I think the 32 grill is a good update on a Model A.

2.JPG 1.JPG 24.jpg

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Made my own front hood mount for 32 shell with Model A hood. In the case on 32 frame so the hood needs to be lengthened. I’m using a Brassworks radiator set up for a 32. 27B07415-FA23-4B3A-AEC2-C17EEBA5791E.jpeg

8. Might be the only thing we disagree on. I think the 31 shell is the worst of the Model As!

-Brent- likes this.
  9. This is a stock 31 hood with an original 32 grill. Front mount is home made. Not sure what your using for a radiator but the pass grill will not work with a stock A radiator. Insert hits. 20181007_115611.jpg

sacminiwheels likes this.
  10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

If you need a longer hood I'd suggest Rootlieb.

11. Willywash

Willywash

I ran into a local welder that thinks he may be able to weld and finish out the bottom corners of my 31 shell. My car has been channeled 4 inches, but the 31 shell drops down perfect over the chopped radiator. The filler is back from the center like most you see. Maybe he can clean it up and make it decent.

12. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"I think the 32 grill is a good update on a Model A."

Why not go to a '35? -- it's even more of an update.

-Brent- likes this.
  13. Fast Frankie

Fast Frankie

31A hood w/32 shell
    vs
    31A speedway fiberglass hood w/32 shell.

Attached Files:

sacminiwheels likes this.
  14. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

I did the same as seen on my avatar. They make aftermarket one-piece steel and fiberglass hoods that mate 31 and 32 into one hood. OR, use what you got and get some metal, start welding.