Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cy Kubista Interview 1/7/14

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by schaefercm, Jan 8, 2014.

1. schaefercm

schaefercm
    from minnesota

Thought i would share this quick interview with Cy Kubista It aired last night.

Here is the link

2. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Good stuff. Cy is a legend around Minnesota. They were a little off on calling his Model T a 1940, though. :)

3. tractorguy

tractorguy

Nice recognition for Cy Kubista. I ran into him for many years as part of a vintage dirt racing group in Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois. I am still in love with his 1950's Indy car with the Lincoln V/8 in it. He always had really neat stuff in his swap meet trailer at vintage events and Jefferson Wi. swap meet. Last saw him there about 3yrs. ago. He said the Indy car finally ended up somewhere out in California

4. schaefercm

schaefercm
    from minnesota

Yes it did, the 40 ford is still in Minnesota (street rodded) and TNT is in NJ has not been touched since the 1968 ISCA Championship.

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Used to see Cy regularly at the Hoosier Swap meet and at Goodguys-Indy. He always had a lot of interesting Ford/Merc/Lincoln stuff (Mostly Y Block) along with an occasional Offy. But, the absolute best was the 337 Lincoln Flathead goodies. I sniffed around his spaces for about two years before biting the (very expensive) bullet and buying the Edmunds heads and 2 X 2 intake for the engine in my '53 F-100.

For several years prior, he carried around a single, brand new Edelbrock head for a 337-somebody had stolen its mate.

6. brechlrl

brechlrl
    from Wisconsin

You are so right about the very expensive bullet bite.. I bought quite a bit of otherwise unobtainable Mercury stuff from Cy over the years.. No discounts with Cy.. I use to tease him at the swap meets about having a museum on wheels because he would never sell the stuff at his asking price LOL I coveted a horn ring center cap for a 58 Merc that said 400 hp. It was for the Super Marauder option... I could never get my self to pay his price, It was stolen one year at Jefferson swap meet

7. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

We lived in Red Wing in the 70s, met Cy at the old White Bear Dodge swap meet I believe. Didn't he have a SOHC powered Lincoln or Mercury?

8. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

Cy had the SOHC in a Lincoln. I had an opportunity to ride in it once. Really fun!!

9. Mark,I really enjoyed the video, a very cool story about a local hero.

As often as not the reporters will get something wrong but the man focus was on Cy. HRP

10. brjnelson

brjnelson

That is sad, Cy is going to bury his son.
    Cyril is one of my Hot Rod hero's

11. alchemy

alchemy

I've spoken with Mr. Kubista at many of the BTTF's swap meets years ago, drooled over many of his nice gauges and parts, and even bought a few. He is a nice guy who likes to tell a story. I'm sorry for his loss.

12. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I ran into Cy today at the Iola car show. He had the model T there on display. He said he is just short of his 90th birthday. He had sold the T several years ago to pay medical bills when his wife had cancer. But his son bought it back and now it is under family ownership.
    He told me that back in the day, the car ran 128 mph in the quarter mile, with the top, fenders, and windshield removed.
    PXL_20230707_192512730.jpg PXL_20230707_192801508.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2023
  13. tractorguy

tractorguy

Wow......he looks like he has hardly aged since I saw him 20yrs. ago. Great to see him and the car.......especially nice story about his son getting it back into the family. Thanks and have fun