Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I figured you would have the pan off and inspected tonight it’s not as bad as I thought it would be I hope the crank will be ok thanks for all your help this weekend it was good times till the end lol for the both of us mine isn’t as catastrophic as yours though if There’s anything I can do to help you let me know

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man versus Machine...a fine line always but this engine has a lot to learn as it's Boss is BOSS and unrivalled in the Winning Spirit...Go Brian Go!!!

Glad your okay...

3. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Crap! good luck on the repairs.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

Ouch ! I admire your attitude/desire/ambition/dedication. Nitro=More power = more broken parts. I'm an old dizzy track guy and back in my day hobby racer 1970-91 we said $100/minute and wished it was that cheap, you got to be in the $100/second bracket, again probably wishing it was that reasonable. Have at it ! Enjoy ! Memories Priceless !

Stogy, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  5. I have last years crank thats perfect and ready. I have more rods and pistons. With the way the after market race industry is right now its good i have spares. It could take months to get parts. A update willbe coming later today after i get the heads off. That will tell alot. I want to see the head gasket.

6. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

After 2 people that I was pitting with broke, I was worried about running again. I still did and it was a good time, sorry to see the that kind of stuff happen. Brian good luck on the fix, I knew you would have the pan off last night. Bryon here we come.

Tony

saltflats, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. Here is the full damage report. The cam is broken in two. Two sets of lifters are junk. One intake rocker is cracked. Its junk. The cam center cover is junk. The crank is surprisingly good. It will need some attention but its very fixable.
    The bad news is the head is cracked. It most likely can be fixed. The chamber can be welded and machined back to original. There is a special cutter besigned to do the job. Two sleeves are junk. I have spares so thats good. The block is missing a chunk at the bottom of the bore. Thats where the water came from. Fixing that becomes more difficult. The registers for the bores will need to be built up then machined to accept a new sleeve. Alot of time and effort will go into fixing this mess. The block and head go to iowa for a accesmentt on friday to see if they can be saved. The one pic shows the damage and what it should look like. You can see into the hollow area that holds the water. 20210627_122633.jpg 20210627_122640.jpg 20210627_122648.jpg 20210627_122701.jpg 20210627_122806.jpg 20210627_122816.jpg 20210627_154604.jpg 20210627_154529.jpg

The Magic Ratchet, loudbang and enloe like this.
  8. With the amount of work that will go into fixing the block its possible the car will be parked for the rest of the year. 20210627_155250.jpg 20210627_155327.jpg

9. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Yikes

10. Welcome to nitro racing. I have had much worse.

loudbang, wicarnut and Stogy like this.
  11. You’re right,,,,a fair amount of damage indeed !
    Nitro can do all that and more in just a few moments.
    It can be repaired,,,,,,a skilled welder,,,,craftsman,,,,,can fix it .
    Then the machine work to bring back to normal .
    At least the main webs are good !
    And the crank is not hurt too bad .
    What is the timeline to repair the block,,,,,6-8 weeks ?
    Nitro is a true engine killer,,,,,,it takes no prisoners .
    At some time in the future,,,,you might have to invest in a spare block as well .

Many years ago I read an article that was written by the military during the war effort .
    It was about a test to see if Nitro would work as a power adder in fighter planes .
    The report read,,,,that although significant power increases were realized,,,,,,catastrophic failure was the end result .
    Not a direct quote,,,but very close,,,,,I always remembered the “ catastrophic failure “ part .

Good luck Brian,,,,,several 100 dollar bills to fix this .

Tommy

12. The germans were successful using nitro in their planes. Its all in the ttune up.

13. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Wow Brian I know it can be fixed but I really feel for ya I met a guy today who had one of these engines in his basement if I had known then what I know now I would have asked if it was for sale I know he deals in nothing but hemi stuff I’ll get his info for you

14. I have spent the last month reading this thread from start to now, every post, every word. What a journey you are on! Your car is amazing, and your desire and drive for your goal is second to none!!!

Sorry to read this latest setback, there’s no doubt in my mind that you will rebuild and be back. Thanks for all the technical posts, I am learning a lot. I have learned that you can take your heads off faster than I can change a tire, ha! But seriously, keep with the detailed posts, I appreciate them.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I must say again I'm glad you are okay in that all that was somewhat contained away from you...that is truly a chain of nasty events within a shell of metal within seconds...Glad you take all the precautions you do...

Nicholas Coe, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  16. As bad as it is things could have been much worse. There was no oil under the tires at 200mph. There was no fire. I didnt need to test the cage. All good any day in my book. If a guy cant handle some disappointment racing these cars he belongs in the stands eating nachos.

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Words of Confidence spoken by a True Competitor...The Green Rocket will be back as the quest for the Checkered Flag is ever evolving...High Fives @racer-x...

loudbang, racer-x and dirty old man like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Ouch! you will be back even stronger.

19. rlsteel

rlsteel

Maybe Detune a little and have fun? it will still go fast and be a lot easier on you.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

21. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Ouch.

22. Rlsteel its hard to detune these engines. You can do even more damage trying to go easy on them. Im already running what most would call a mild tune up. It runs 70-80 percent nitro with 45 degrees of lead with 19 percent over drive on a un stripped blower. The pump is only a single 24 gallon with a single mag.

23. I just read a article about rods getting soft after a engine gets over heated. My engine got real hot on the chassis dyno puking water all over. The main power wire to the switch panel had vibrated loose making intermediate contact. The water pump and fans shut off. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. The rods in my car are designed for 10,000 hp. Im no where near that. I might send one back for testing the hardness.

24. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I worry about flat spotting a cam when I fire a new build up and you do THAT! and go "oh well ,it's part of the fun" ! Man compared to you I am just a silly ass little wuss.:rolleyes: lol Glad you kept the shiny side up. Larry

Stogy, Nicholas Coe, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  25. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

It looked like to me that the rod broke and damaged the lower part of the cylinder my question is what did the head gasket look like was it blown and was the crack in the head a result of the piston hitting it at 7000 rpm lol

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Man I hate to see bad stuff happening to a good guy like you. Check your "conversations".

enloe, Stogy, Nicholas Coe and 2 others like this.
  27. I was surprised to see the deck on the block and head were perfect. The gasket was also perfect. I can re use it.

wicarnut, Stogy, Nicholas Coe and 2 others like this.
  28. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hats off .Pure Determination..

racer-x, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  29. Pretty much why most people are happy to go 10-12 second 1/4 mile times and live to talk about it. A very small percentage of people with this amount of resolve and can handle this much frustration. I won't sit in the stands, but just go slower. It's all I can do to build something once these days. On the plus side, you should have time to work on the Chevelle now.

30. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Really love your optimism, determination and resolve to use all of this as a learning point to build a bigger and better machine.....best of luck!