Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1936 ford flathead Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34superchargered, Jun 26, 2021.

1. I recently traded for an all original 36 ford .It is something I wanted to give to my Dad so he would have an old car to drive around.When I got the car the guy said starter switch just went out on it.The gentleman who owned it said he drove it about everyday.Well I replaced the starter switch and it cranked up and we drove it around for a few days.Then I did something stupid I left the switch on at the steering column for about an hour.I turned it off when I realized it like I said about an hour latter.The problem now is it barely turns over,so I put in new battery thinking it may have went bad then I cleaned ground, up graded all battery cables all to 1 ga new starter wire 1 ga still no difference just barely turn over I am not sure what to check .I did find out the guy had a similar issue before with it he wasn't sure what made the starter switch go out

2. I just want to mention its still 6v with postive ground

3. Your new battery cables are too small, 6 volt needs big fat ones to handle the current. Also beware if the switch was on with the distributor points closed the coil could have been damaged, not a definite circumstance but that can happen, ask me how I know

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Your push button starter switch is ground activated. It’s not a hot wire.
    After changing cables try bypassing the switch and ground the terminal right at the starter solenoid on the firewall.

5. If it has stock 1936 starter switch on floor it is NOT ground activated but a hot switch.

6. oldsman41

oldsman41

Check the points in the dizzy you might have fried them

7. squirrel

squirrel

Are the new battery cables bigger, smaller, or the same size as the old ones?

Do you have a way to test the new battery? What is the date code on it?

and did you try charging the old batttery, and seeing if it will crank the engine ok? or did you trade it in...

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Oops. Sorry. I hate giving misinformation. I ass-ummed it was the same setup as the 37. Very sorry.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021