Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using firewall for build reference vs. entire body

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan Turk, May 16, 2021.

1. Ryan Turk

Ryan Turk
    from Austin, TX

I am about to kick off a AV8 build, I've got all major pieces except a body. I know a lot of the work will require the body for reference (K member location, steering column etc)

Question: would it work to purchase a Model A firewall and bolt it up, as the major reference source for fitting the engine and transmission, K member location etc? This vs. shelling out for the $7,XXX body right now?

2. dwollam

dwollam

You would need a complete cowl as the firewall is spot welded into the cowl and not a stand alone piece like a '32 Ford firewall.

Dave

Squablow likes this.
  3. Exactly, the cowl feet are what locates the cowl and firewall. You could start with a cowl, I just sold a 30/31 for 400 dollars if pricing helps.

4. redo32

redo32

?? Are you building a traditional Model A? Do you have a stock frame? Start at the front. Traditional axle, spring setup, original front crossmember? Then mount the radiator and set the engine dictated by desired fan clearance. Engine, trans will dictate center crossmember location in reference to trans mount.

VANDENPLAS and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. I agree. HRP

6. flatford39

flatford39

You meed a cowl as a reference point.

7. Ryan Turk

Ryan Turk
    from Austin, TX

Would it be sufficient reference material to buy sub-rails, sub-rail extensions (the Model A firewall feet) and a firewall? That is still a lot less than the whole body, but not sure if it's a false reference without the rest of the pieces in place.

8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

You really need the radiator too. That sets your forward limit for the engine. If you are running a hood, then you will have to be extra keen on the angle of the radiator since a few degrees off will effect the fit of the hood later.....and you don't want the surprise of having to tilt the radiator back to get the hood to line up only to find your fan now hits it.

9. Squablow

Squablow

Buy a whole cowl that you can bolt to the frame. You can buy an old rough one pretty cheap. Even if you're planning to find a roadster body later, a sedan or coupe cowl will work well for a reference. If you don't use anything from the original cowl, you can always resell it once you're done with it, it'll end up being a free rental.

ClarkH and flatford39 like this.
  10. Ryan Turk

Ryan Turk
    from Austin, TX

11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

For years in my chassis business I have used a 30/31 cowl, 32 firewall, 33/34 cowl and firewall, 35/40 cowl and firewall and 46/48 cowl and firewall to locate the motor if the customer desired to use his stock firewall.

12. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$400 is a massive overpay, in my opinion. You should add your location to your user profile; a hamb guy close to you might have a cheap cowl that you can pick up.

I have a 28/29 coupe cowl I'd sell for less, but I'm guessing I'm nowhere near you.

13. Ryan Turk

Ryan Turk
    from Austin, TX

@ClarkH Im outside Austin. You willing to put it on a pallet and ship?

Still learning but a coupe cowl is similar enough to a roadster to achieve the same reference?

14. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see you posted your location. There's a lot of old tin in Texas. I think you're better off looking for a cowl that's more-or-less local. There's gotta be a Hamb guy in your area with an old cowl kicking around. Any swap meets coming up?

As far as I know, 28/29 coupe and roadster cowls are the same. The difference starts in the posts/A-pillars. Here's a couple threads on the subject:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/28-29-cowl-are-they-all-the-same.1015234/
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1929-model-a-cowl-width.1093112/

Thing is, since you don't yet have a body, are you ready to commit to 28/29 vs. 30/31? The firewalls are very different.

pprather likes this.