Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***June 2021 Banger Meet Thread - How's Your 4 Cylinder***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jun 1, 2021.

1. PhredH

PhredH

RailCar,
    I got the carb heater form Imperial Speed and Custom in Washington state(?) a few years ago.
    I have checked for full throttle, all good. I learned that lesson years ago :)
    Phred

2. railcarmover

railcarmover

Thanks Phred, going to fab up a hot water manifold heater, I ice something awful when the air is cooler. I don't use a facet, I use a carter rotary electronic pump, P90091,they provide consistent pressure with no regulator..its set at 2 psi.. ticker pumps are dicey when it comes to pressure, if you catch too much it overcomes the float.

AC127205B_1-500x500.jpg

Old Dawg likes this.
  3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

28CCE1EC-402E-4B27-B06E-3B1971A3CA15.jpeg

Need some help here. As the photo shows, the first rocker has a gap and the push rod isn’t centered in the hole. Tried tightening the nut on the end to no avail. This is an original 1935 CRAGAR head.

4. railcarmover

railcarmover

Pull pushrod,roll it on a true surface

5. noboD

noboD

Rocker arm looks bent from that angle.

6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

C0164D49-47D1-44B3-88DA-07A706D79E85.jpeg

Note the gap at the end of the rocker shaft. I’m thinking that there needs to be a spacer on the left side of the rocker and then the push rod will be centered. Rocker is not bent....camera angle is bad

brjnelson likes this.
  7. might just need a shim or wave washer between rocker and stand

how does geometry look?

J

Old Dawg, brjnelson and ottoman like this.
  8. railcarmover

railcarmover

you can fire it up with the cover off, see what's going on..

9. How does it look on the valve end? Will a spacer put that end out?

10. Welp, the 3D print came out sorta decent. Got a LOT of work before I can start having them cast!
    Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 8.29.07 AM.png

Jet96 likes this.
  11. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Looks good to me, however I think Cragar had it right... vertical cooling fins will likely slow your top speed by several mph from wind resistance, haha.

Unless of course, you chrome it. Everybody knows any chrome part is good for 3 mph.

12. Jiminy

Jiminy

Your 3D printed part looks to be the exact size of the Cragar - it needs to be larger to allow for the shrinkage when the metal solidifies - aluminum shrinks 6%, iron 10%.

Jim

13. Due to a lot of conflicting events the turnout was low for The Santa Margarita Ranch Time Trials (the last of F.A.S.T. sanctioned). But it didn't hold back local spectators! Fortunately for those who didn't show up they didn't suffer the premature failure of the timing equipment. This caused the event to quit shortly after lunch! Friday some of us were treated to the arrival of our host's new acquisition; and that evening a "Cruise Night" in the village. I caught these shots on my cell phone!

Rossi'sGooneyBird(2).jpg Rossi'sGooneyBird.jpg

14. This is simply something to stand out and not be "cookie cutter" I'm curious in a hot rod with a full hood if it will affect it.

railcarmover and Outback like this.
  15. Correct, this was just a mockup print to see how it would look on the engine. I'll be scaling it somewhere between 6-7%. Just need to clean this one up first.

Jiminy likes this.
  16. noboD

noboD

Did you talk to them first? The foundry I use will not cast in holes like your mounting holes. If I am using an existing piece I make up aluminum plugs the same length as the thickness and put a center drill mark in the plug on my lathe. Them press them in. That way I can just drill out the holes on a drill press without measuring.

17. To be honest, no. I'm still searching for people to cast them. That's pretty smart about the plug, I'm going to have to try that!

Do you recommend any foundries?

18. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Of course it won't make any difference, I was just being goofy. Tongue in cheek foolishness.

19. railcarmover

railcarmover

There will be no goofiness in this shop.. I remember this one gypo truck shop I worked at for a cat named Dick Mayo, he paid overtime in cash (loved it, hand the wife the check and pocket the dough). We were a bunch of fast movers, knocking shit out as quick as it came in. His favorite line was "I don't care how you do it, just make it go away"...he paid us early on fridays and we'd start gooning up.. acting like a bunch of fools, talking shit and grab assing..somebody would sneak out and buy beer,hell we'd end up there half the night..

20. Jiminy

Jiminy

21. Check'n in!

We first received a rejection letter. But as the news spread through our "PreWar" racing Group that we'd been dropped after two decades of running; apparently a lobbying effort resulted in this:

"We are pleased to inform you that your 1932 Miller Schofield-Ford AAA "Big Car" has been accepted into the 2021 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion August 12-15 at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca. On behalf of the Selection Committee, we are thrilled to be welcoming you to beautiful Monterey, California.
    Your participation in this extraordinary event is deeply valued. We sincerely appreciate your commitment to sharing your car and its history with the enthusiastic and knowledgeable fans who annually attend. The Selection Committee has endeavored to select the best of the best in each group to enjoy the Rolex Reunion, and accordingly have reduced the number of acceptances. Our goal is to ensure your experience is fun, safe and memorable, and hope you agree that the Rolex Reunion is about quality over quantity."
    Sonoma2021(12).jpg