Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 deluxe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Charlie Allnut, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Charlie Allnut

Charlie Allnut

Hi all, I had a bad vibration between 40/55 last time out so put the car on axle stands and ran it in gear. I got underneath to listen and it sounded like bearing noises in the diff. When I stripped the rear axle I found the hub and axle bearing surfaces had wear marks so I assumed this was the problem and ordered new hubs and repair sleeves for the axle casings.
    I removed the axle to take off the casings for machining ready for the repair sleeves. When I removed the torque tube the centre bearing fell out......
    When researching this bearing I found it should have a rubberised outer casing!
    I've been looking for a new bearing but can't find a supplier, is there an upgrade or modification for this bearing or can you guys point me in the right direction to buy a new old stock bearing? Many thanks in advance. Charlie

2. footbrake

footbrake

Between 40-55? Did you get the tires balanced?

3. 42merc

42merc

NOS can sometimes be found on E bay.
    Skip Haney, in Florida does/did sell a replacement bearing. Check with the Ford Barn for an address.

4. Charlie Allnut

Charlie Allnut

Hi, tyres were dynamically balanced on the car

5. Charlie Allnut

Charlie Allnut

Hi, thanks for that- just registered with the Ford barn, waiting for acceptance before I can post.

6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

George Haney, 29436 Taralane Dr., Punta Gorda, Fl. 33982

BrandonB, Algoma56 and warbird1 like this.
  7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

NOS center bearings do come up for sale now and then on Ebay. I would suggest you post you needs on Fordbarn. They are not cheap. While you're at it replace the clam shell cork seal with the new style neoprene for sale on Ebay.
    OEM center bearing is encased in rubber which dissolves away over time. Skip Haney makes a replacement seal.

If you could figure out a way to encase the OEM bearing that fell out in rubber, you could probably reuse it. It is held in place in the center of the torque tube by a metal ring welded to the inside of the torque tube. It' s a slip fit and a special puller is used to both install and remove it.

ZIP over to Fordbarn and do a search on "center bearing". Also, read all the center bearing info here:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=194...69i57j69i60.7184j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    stillrunners, Algoma56 and OzMerc39 like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Mac Van Pelt seems to have a lot of drivetrain parts, try his website vanpeltsales.com , or contact him.

Algoma56 and OzMerc39 like this.
  9. I might think twice about (true) NOS vs repo: can you really trust 81 year old rubber?

Elcohaulic and joel like this.
  10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yes, you can trust 81 year old rubber if it was stored properly. I was able to find a NOS center bearing in 2017 and it was in great condition.

Algoma56 likes this.
  11. You might PM @Mart on here. As a flathead guy maybe he has one in his stash. He’s in Solihull.

stillrunners likes this.
  12. 42merc

42merc

Skip's [email protected]
    Couldn't find web site, at one time he had R&R directions on replacing the bearing using common tools.

Algoma56 likes this.
  13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

14. Good thread guys and thanks for your input !

15. Charlie Allnut

Charlie Allnut

I'm happy with repo if I can find one

16. Charlie Allnut

Charlie Allnut

Thank you

17. Charlie Allnut

Charlie Allnut

I messaged skip and waiting for a reply

18. Charlie Allnut

Charlie Allnut

19. Charlie Allnut

Charlie Allnut

This is great info , many thanks

20. Charlie Allnut

Charlie Allnut

Hi all, thanks for all the links and input, plenty of good reading and ideas in there. I apologise for any delay in response time but I'm in a different time zone, I haven't found a bearing yet. I am going to turn up a solid bronze bush with a 'grease' hole drilled into it and lube it through the existing grease nipple and drill and tap a couple of retainer screw holes. I'll let you know how bad it vibrates- or not

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Charlie: Your idea of making a bronze bushing sure sounds promising and your holding it in place
    with retainer set screws drilled and tapped into the walls of the torque tube will work, I believe. There is a retaining lip welded inside the torque tube that holds the stock center bearing in place by compressing the rubber
    exterior of the OEM center bearing as the bearing is pulled into the retainer ring lip.. You may be able to visually see the spot welds on the exterior of the torque tube.

It would be great if you could make your bronze bushing OD so that it just slips fits inside the retainer lip used for the original torque tube center bearing as it would assure that your bushing is correctly aligned with the solid drive shaft.
    There is actually very little wear on the stock inner roller bearing as it primarily prevents the solid drive shaft from whipping causing vibration.

I know I saw photos of what the inner retainer ring inside the torque tube looks like and will try to find and post them.

Be sure and take plenty of photos with measurements on making your bushing and installing it so that we all can learn
    from your expertise. Here's some more info. re: Skip Haney bearing.
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76005

Thanks, Jim

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Charlie: I found a thread that shows what the cross section of the torque tube looks like at the location of the center bearing retainer lip. Read all this:
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186780&highlight=replace+center+bearing

Posts #4 and 13 show how the rubber on the OEM center bearing is compressed when the bearing is correctly seated.
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186780&highlight=replace+center+bearing

It would be nice if you could make your bushing so it slides into the exact same position in the lip as the OEM bushing but. I don't think it would do any harm if you made the OD of your bushing so it just slips into the torque tube and comes to rest against the bottom outer lip of the retaining lip and then checked the alignment with your solid drive shaft AND then scured your bushing in place with set screws through the torque tube. The fit between the roller bearing encased in the the OEM rubber is not tight so your bushing should actually be a better fit but not so tight that it causes the solid drive shaft to bind.

It would be great if you could find an oilite bearing that would perform the same function as your bushing while still using the zerk fitting, just in case.

It would be fun to get an old torque tube, cut it apart and experiment with your ideas.
    Please keep us all informed and take plenty of photos. JIM

I wonder if a bearing like this could be adapted to replace the Ford torque tube bearing. I know that there are companies that make bearings encase in rubber.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2941268351...N5wpvwkxdwrzE7qkqvrHqSzMj9y5pRQAaAslZEALw_wcB

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  23. Charlie Allnut

Charlie Allnut

That's a great idea, looks very adapable!

24. Charlie Allnut

Charlie Allnut