Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods found in the neighborhood !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by khead47, Jun 25, 2021.

1. khead47

khead47

I found this little gem only a few blocks away. I also know of an old caddy, and at another house there is an old lincoln. both tucked away in garages and covered with junk.
    What have other Hambers found right around the corner ? 20210625_102226_resized.jpg

2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice lil truck how about some closer photos

Deuces likes this.
  3. Superdangerdave

Superdangerdave

There are 2 56 T-birds in a garage down the street, the Thunderbolt clone that used to live at the other corner moved, there is an OPEL GT a street over, an OT 88 Mustang GT with 13k original miles in the widow next doors garage and a 56 ford and a 64 GTO up the road a few blocks. I AM that creepy guy that drives slow past your house when your garage door is up.

4. saltracer219

saltracer219

Lots of Hot Rods and cool cars in my area, the Orange Crate is less than 2 miles from my house!

5. khead47

khead47

Don't want to bother owner for closer pics. I know I would not like a stranger to ask me the same.

SlamIam, Stogy and RJP like this.
  6. The lady sitting in the chair there is probably calling the police right now reporting you lurking around taking pictures of her ,,,,LoL .

Tommy

7. j hansen

j hansen

A little closer:) Skärmavbild 2021-06-26 kl. 01.40.13.png

8. A guy a couple blocks down is into falcons, another guy has a 55, that's about it for HAMB friendly in the neighborhood

20181029_185807.jpg 20201112_172737.jpg 20200702_162046.jpg

9. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

ah when your thread said you found it i thought you had bought it and gave it a home lol

Texas57 and Stogy like this.
  10. gene-koning

gene-koning

It seems that everyone that drives past my place goes really slow as they look at my junk. I must have the coolest junk in town!

The fact that there has probably been a rotation of 50 (or more) different hot rods, projects under construction, customer's cars, friend's cars, or parts car sitting around here over the last 20 years, probably has nothing to do with it... I think some people drive by just to see what is here on any given day.

There is a huge number of cool cars sitting around in my town, but these days, most are out of site. A building close by has a 58 Vette, and a 64 Merc with an original 427 tri-power 4 speed. A couple blocks away sits a nice 30s roadster, and a couple blocks the other direction there is another building that has a collection of at least 5 classic muscle cars, and a couple HAMB era cars locked away inside of it. Gene

Stogy, stillrunners, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  11. I AM that guy in the neighborhood pretty much. I did see someone has a mid 50's Olds in the driveway (recent purchase) and I think someone has a BMW 2002.......that's it :(.

I know there's more in town, but you never see them unless it's a prefect day and there's a car show somewhere. I'm the only dumbass, that drives at night or during crappy weather.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Stogy, Irish Mike and jnaki like this.
  12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I often have people stop when I have one of my cars sitting outside, and ask if they can take a picture? I figure if I wasn't out there they'd just take it without asking, so why should I feel bothered or concerned if they ask?

13. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

My neighbor's garage is directly across the street from mine. It was five years before I learned that he has a primo Model A coupe buried in his garage.

It's still there.

Stogy, Lil32 and stillrunners like this.
  14. I live on a highway, with my mail box located just after my drive way entrance. I have had to replace my ran over, broken off mailbox a many times! While travelers are driving past, they try to look down the drive way to see what the new addition to the vehicle junk inventory is. The next thing they know, their passenger side mirror comes in contact with my mailbox. Finally, I have installed a bunch of reflectors on the mailbox post, and this has seemed to have slowed down the carnage.

Stogy likes this.
  15. There's a 1965 GTO on the opposite side of our block, it's only been outside a few times since 1994.

Stogy likes this.
  16. There is a steel Willy pickup 40-41 sitting in the grass, with blackberry bushes starting to grow over it. It's like 5 or 6 houses down from mine.

Stogy and stillrunners like this.
  17. BJR

BJR

Quit bragging about your junk!! :eek: :D:p:D

Max Gearhead and Stogy like this.
  18. The 1940 Ford pick up I stopped by trying to buy was sold to another guy in my old hood that had the flat head rebuilt. He has always had a early Nova post car with a little V/8 in it. He bought a 396 car he has been fixing up.....maybe time to check on the 40 pickup...but he knows what he's got......

Stogy likes this.
  19. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I just got a new neighbor a couple of months ago. I noticed a '64 Impala in the garage soon after. Then a '67 Chevelle with a real healthy sounding engine showed up. Turns out the Impala is his brothers and will be going back when the brother gets done working on my neighbor's early Camaro.

Gary

Stogy likes this.
  20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

My Attic Anglia project. As Acquired 06.jpg As Acquired 08.jpg

21. Budget36

Budget36

I just tried this today. There’s what looks like a 40-early 50’s car rear bumper with what looks like decent old chrome on it, laying on the outside of a fellas fence.
    I’d been noticing it for months, but since I go to work in the afternoon, farmers/ranchers are not out in the day like that. But I worked an early morning shift today and saw a fella in the driveway so pulled up to the gate.

I got the “WTF you want”? As I got out of my near 20 year old truck that needs a bath. Asked the the if he had a minute. “No, busy “.

Got the feeling I won’t drive by slow and look anymore.

Stogy likes this.
  22. spudshaft

spudshaft

Sweet truck, but the wheels are terrible. Guy down the street from me has a 57 Chevy convertible that I’ve only seen once. There is lots of stuff hidden in garages.

Stogy likes this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

As kids, we were used to walking around the neighborhood. Cars were years ahead, were nice to look at and pretend, but not in the current picture. Remember, this was in the 50s and early 60s. The 30-40 cars were not that old and in our Westside of Long Beach neighborhood. It seemed like every block had a car or two sitting in the driveway covered or in the back yard. So, walking to and from school to going to neighborhood friends’ houses was all a part of the day to day activities.

Our first Model A coupe was pristine as far as the body work could be for a 27-30 year old car. We had seen the older couple driving, but later, it just sat under the canvas tarp. The older lady nearly fell over when my brother told her we would buy her Model A coupe and take it out of her backyard. She was grateful for the offer. The price was perfect for us and now we were equal owners of our first Model A coupe.

Then as years passed, our next adventure started the same way. We knew of two other canvas covered cars in old, overgrown backyards from the time we were in junior high school walking by the same house day after day. We found out from a friend that live several houses down that it was a coupe.

By the time my brother was ready to go buy the next project, we knew exactly where to go and the cost was unheard of at the time. The older lady wanted that “hunk of junk” removed out of her backyard. She was happy to see it being towed away behind my brother’s 58 black Impala.
    upload_2021-6-29_4-26-58.png
    The Willys Coupe was no longer a wanted family item. It was just something to cover and the owner wanted it gone. Bad memories, we presumed. Then a year or two later, our friend Atts Ono found another 1940 Willys Coupe in pristine condition, again under a canvas tarp a few blocks away. What an odd choice to discover the same year, 1940 Willys coupes within several blocks of each other in our Westside of Long Beach neighborhood.

Jnaki

Back then, there were a ton of old cars in the neighborhood. By 1998, when we sold the old house, the only house we knew of that had several old cars was right behind our property. Luckily, our mom had a huge tall concrete block wall installed and that blocked the view of that house and junkers. Plus, the tall Escallonia bushes were now 12 feet tall obscuring even the old house from view.

These days, in most neighborhoods, there aren’t a lot of old cars piled up in the driveway or property. But, as one goes farther outside of the home areas, the properties become industrial zones, along with R2-3 zones, then the properties start holding left over junk for future projects or just become the dreadful hoarders.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Mark Hinds, i.rant, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  24. mickeyc

mickeyc

There is an Anglia drag car a few blocks from me that has been sitting
    in the same garage for at least 40 years. I did get a chance to look it over
    recently. Not obtainable, but man I would if I could.

25. flyin-t

flyin-t

Not really found by me but after moving into our neighborhood 20+ years ago I discovered my neighbor has a ‘28 A sedan delivery disassembled and packed away in his garage. My name’s been added to a long list of guys that want a chance to buy it.
    No pics except for me and my dad in ‘59, also gave these to the owner of the delivery. You never know, might leap frog over some of the others patiently waiting.

ED82556A-364C-4628-BDAD-BFECE507CF42.jpeg BC7A18EF-0F92-4304-9E2C-5A6783E9E5FC.jpeg D6D342A4-1AD9-4A2E-BF88-B1A7111CFAB9.jpeg

26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

7032052B-AF12-45BC-A3CC-C9493C4BA00D.jpeg 4D4EF821-305E-4C0B-A410-F505555C8D5C.jpeg I looked for the car in my avatar for years! Found some nice ones, but were too high, found some in my price range... junk. Looked all over the nation in want adds, drove many miles looking at so called “ good” cars! Gave up and bought a ‘65 Country Sedan Wagon in St. Louis. Three months later my B/L calls me while working on a job 20 miles from home! The XL was under a tarp, right car / right price.... in my back yard!

Bones

27. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Found my 33 Pickup in the my neighborhood! [​IMG]

28. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

An old friend gave me a 390/C-6 drivetrain out of one of these long ago, when I was building a drag car project. Was tearing the engine down and noticed grey oil film in lifter valley and asked him if he parked it after a head gasket failure. He laughed, said no, it's av oil he used in his plane. Put it in everything he owned. Ran av fuel in it too. Cleanest engine I've ever seen from a junkyard. That's him down in my sig.

Joe

Boneyard51 likes this.
  29. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

One Saturday I got on Craigslist and there was an ad for N.O.S 1956 Ford pickup parts. I called and decided it would be worth my time to go as it was only a couple of miles from my home. What a find. Outside and inside door handles, window cranks, complete set of dash knobs. All new in original Ford boxes. As always the next question is do you have anything else? The man said he thought his dad had a few parts in the garage but he did not want me go into the garage. He asked me to come back Sunday and he would look and see what he could find. I was back early and he had found a new 56 ford pickup large rear window and painted front bumper. He went into the garage to get a blanket and I peeked in. It looked like a Model A sedan but there was so much junk in, around, inside, and on top of it I couldn't really tell for sure. I asked him if it was for sale but he told me he would never sell it because it had sentimental value. His story was that when he was born his father drove his mother and him back from the hospital in the car. On the way home the car broke down and he had to have tow truck take it the rest of the way home. It was pushed into the garage and was in there since 1953. Now for the good stuff. The car was an early 1950's hot rod. It had a Cad motor that was no longer with the car. The transmission was also gone. He let me take some of the junk off the car so we could make out what the car was. It was a 1932 Vicky as you can from the pictures. It had the best body I had ever seen on an unrestored '32. No rust, no dents. Just solid sheet metal. All the fenders running boards were inside the car. He would not sell it to me but I checked in with him every couple of weeks and finally came up with a fairly large amount of money. He finally relented. I went by this house every day after work for 30 years and the garage door was never up. Best Craigslist ad I ever responded to.
    IMG_0289.JPG

30. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

I like the topic of this thread and it brings back many memory's I have been infected with the hot rod Virus as far back as I can remember. From the age 3 and up My Dad would drag me with him to car shows and swapmeets in the only family transportation we had at the time. A 1932 ford hotrod pickup, I rode back and forth to grade school in that truck as well. As a 70's/80's kid there were model A bodys, and early pre 1940 fords around my neighborhood sitting in back yards. And I knew where they all were and would ride my (banana seat stingray) bike all over peeking over fences, through trees and in garages and if someone was out I would ask them if it was forsale.. It's funny I still do it to this day My wife and I will just go on a nice spring or summer day when people are outside and have their garage doors up and I will damn near break my neck to try and see what might be hidden in peoples garage. She gets embarrassed when I walk up and knock on a strangers door to ask them about something they have that I am interested in, But It is who I am, and you never know until you ask! I have bought alot of stalled projects that way.

woodsnwater and Boneyard51 like this.