Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical my hub caps don't fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobby, Jun 25, 2021.

1. nobby

nobby

cap and wheel.jpg
    should - do these wheels take an early ford hub cap?
    do you have to almost bend the cap inner part some?
    any one have that style wheel with a vintique cap
    do i wire wheel the paint off and try?
    do they 'just' take a baby moon style cap

they are close

2. What was the source of the wheels?

3. nobby

nobby

used

the caps are new and 8 and 1/8

4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like one of those "Chrome Smoothie" rims from 1980s/90s. They came with a "smoothie" baby moon hubcap which used inner nub mounting like a Ford, but the caps were much smaller.

wraymen and X38 like this.

5. Looks like you need the caps that snap into the inside, and the caps you have go over the outside. Those are aftermarket steel smoothie wheels

6. So, you're saying they won't snap inside the middle of the wheel? I had that problem. Here's the fix:

Take a cutoff wheel and cut a slot at 6 and 12 oclock on the part that snaps into the wheel. That allows the inner ring to flex just a little so you can get it on the wheel. I did this on all 4 wheels and ran 80 mph wherever I went and they never came off.

7. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I bought Wheel Vintiques wheels that look like that with ten holes. New caps like those. Hard the first time. Set the cap in one side and with the heel of your hand, hit it really hard. Thats on the edge so it won't bend...will pop right in. Worked for me.

8. If you cut the slots like I suggested, you won't have to hit them so hard and risk putting a dent in them. I see dented early Ford caps all the time and I know exactly why.

stillrunners likes this.
  9. That wheel looks like a Wheel Vintique Smoothie series which takes a 7 1/2" ID cap as opposed to the Gennie series wheel which takes your standard 8 1/8" ID cap.

10. .....I think you hit the nail on the head there.

11. I think these are the wheels you have and they won't allow the use of your cap. 00r0r_garYjoL2kETz_0hq0d4_600x450.jpg

37slantback, guthriesmith and X38 like this.
  12. lake_harley

lake_harley

I had the no hubcap fits issue with my Model A that also has the multi-pattern wheels. The only hubcap I found that is made to fit them is baby moons, and that only works if you like baby moons. :rolleyes: Maybe the slice-them-and-hit-them-hard trick suggested will work for you. I just put on chrome lug nuts and called it a day.

Lynn

13. They make caps that fit those wheels. But, as mentioned, they are just the smoothies that generally take the baby moons. Pretty sure they make caps similar to what you want but in the size that fit. I could be wrong, but those appear like stock hubcaps for original type wheels which won’t work.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pic of the back side of hub cap

15. Wheel Vintiques makes the same '42 Ford repro cap as the one shown in 7 1/2" ID that will fit that wheel.

16. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Wheelsmith’s wheels only accept their hubcaps. Ask me how I know. Just might be the same for other manufacturers wheels I’m thinking.

lothiandon1940 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  18. nobby

nobby

ahh........
    /\ this 'should' be common knowledge so the newbie numpties don't get caught out.
    ohh......

lothiandon1940 likes this.