Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 36 Ford Dash in a Model A Pickup-Any tips or advice?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by F-6Garagerat, Sep 9, 2013.

1. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Those dashes all look great! I see I need to start looking for some 35-36 gauges, I like the looks of them! My dad had a 36 3window and now has a 37 slantback, better go check his stash.......... :)

2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks Andy. I was going to pitch the vent, maybe someone can use it. I've got a Stewart Warner indicator light that might fit the hole. Other than the window crank I don't know what I could put in it. Maybe just fill it.

3. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I have the gauges too but I don't think I'm going to use them. I have a really cool 36 dodge speedo with curved glass and a crescent needle that I want to match up with some similar Stewart Warner oil and amp gauges.

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I stuck my ignition switch into the top center hole.

5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thats a good idea, thanks man

6. Dad's 1932

Dad's 1932
    from Santa Rosa

Hello , your glove box has the " glove box lock" rather than the pull handle . It is missing the lock cyl . They are cool to have so you can lock it . Nice accessory . The vent at the left of the dash is a dealer installed defrost. The left of the the glove box door has the knob that would control the register .They are not highly desirable but A restorer would be happy to get those parts if you do not use them. Your dash is missing the escutheon ring in the center top hole where the window crank would be that would match the narrow stainless strips . A good but kinda pricey solution is to find a waterfall from a Cabriolet or Convertible sedan that does not have the hole for the windshield crank because there windshields are fixed . They are a pretty cool looking waterfall.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Those convertible waterfalls are really cool but really hard to find.

I'm planning to put a dash light kinda like this one in the crank hole of my '36 dash.

Attached Files:

8. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I've got a flatter rounded one with a red light I test fit last night. Not sure I like the look though.

9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

get a used / trashed '30 - '31 cowl... cut the dash support rail out of it... hammer the bosses flat and cut off the horizontal strip along the base... enlarge the bolt holes... now it will set flush against the stock cross rail...
    bolt the 2 together... now tack your [any] dash to the added rail... remove and finish welding them together... a couple 3 bolts and the new dash can only bolt in in one place... i welded the bolts to the now inside of the crossrail then was able to tighten the nuts from under the swung out windshield frame...
    a couple tabs and bolts on the lower corners to the A pillars and you are in...
    '40 commercial dash shown in my '30 coupster

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Jet96 like this.
  10. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Here's mine, 35 dash in a 31 coupe. narrowed it abit, and welded end caps on. Bolts in on the original dash rail. Used the waterfall center for an old SW tach. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470116176.237860.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1470116253.375482.jpg

11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thread. So if you are using the original cowl tank and a 36 dash the speedo cable does not have a clear shot as the tank is in the way. Do you fit an 90 degree angle drive on the back of the V8 speedo? My son just started his install last night of a 36 dash in a 28 tudor.

12. banginona40

banginona40

Here is a '36 in my current project.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any one fit a regular fuel gauge and sender to a model A tank? any special tips

14. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Kiwi,
    I have run into the same issue with my car. Tried making my own setup and the speedo is the issue. The 90 degree adapter made the speedometer almost 5” deep, no good.

I’m going with the reverse setup, tach in the dash and speedometer on the column. This allows me to run the cable straight out the back of the mounting cup.

Cliff Ramsdell
    8DAF0EDE-8753-4229-BE70-31A55A8869AF.jpeg

kidcampbell71 and Kiwi 4d like this.
  15. fitznstartz

fitznstartz
    from mesa az

Here's a pic of the 35 dash in my 30 pickup. I use the center hole for my a/c vent. Had tn narrow the glove box door to have room for the right vent. DSC_0011.JPG

16. Awesome thread, following closely as I am about to do exactly the same but in RHD. Just not sure if I want to use the 40 gauges (the shape suits the glove box more) or install a set out of a 36 chev (I think thats what they are) I think I might fill in the waterfall holes and not use the trim ... thoughts ? Phone Pics Aug 2018 038.jpg Phone Pics Aug 2018 037.jpg

17. rustythumb

rustythumb

some '36's had the 2 stainless strips instead of the full chrome waterfall.

18. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I’m with Kiwi here. What have people done for a dash when retaining the stock fuel tank?

Clearance issues for the cable have been my issue and while the 35/36 looks pretty deep does it lend itself to allowing the stock speedo room to work with the stock tank?

How deep is the speedometer, how deep from the dash to the tank?

Cliff Ramsdell

19. That 40 gauge set does look pretty good in there!

30 AV8 likes this.
  20. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm going to bump this up with my dash pic since I'm pretty happy with how it came out.
    36 Dash waterfall in model a coupe.jpg 36 Dash with Greenlines.jpg 20190607_102634.jpg 20190607_102658.jpg Dash with waterfall.jpg

It bolts into the stock space. It's a tight fit but it looks like it belongs. The sides were trimmed and flattened and the holes filled. On the front side a piece of trim was made to hide the gap. I haven't seen it done this way but it made sense to me. Fab work was done by Matt Seret.

kadillackid, Kiwi 4d, 30 AV8 and 2 others like this.
  21. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Made a flat '32 style dash for a '28 coupe in 1985...
    blended a flared tube from a header set, the flare was welded so the outer flare kind of formed the bezel on the dash face...
    there were some model As that had magnifying glass lenses on the gas gauge...
    [I have a free one out back if it helps] … go g-rat go !

22. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Here Is One Way To Go And They Also Look Great In A 1936 Ford... DSCN2251.JPG

23. Salty 28

Salty 28
    from Mandurah

Dash suits the A

24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i have a top half '35 and bottom half '40 dash narrowed for a '30 closed car cowl... have some clusters,
    speaker grills, top half of a waterfall, no ashtray doors...
    the installed dash is one i stuffed into my '30 coupe...
    any interest ? DSCN7397.JPG

Attached Files:

25. Salty 28

Salty 28
    from Mandurah

Very tidy job you have done there

26. chiro

chiro

^^^I did the same in my '30 coupe after seeing him do it. Came out awesome and everybody LOVES the dash I picked it up at Hershey and it had already been modified for a hot rod with gauges in it. Very cool piece. I LOVE Hershey and am sooo looking forward to going back this year.
    Andy

27. banginona40

banginona40

Installing one in my current project. '30 Coupe.

[​IMG]

-Brent- likes this.