Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Belly Tank Build, NZ.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 T Ford RPU, May 3, 2021.

1. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Ohh gonna have to make me one of them.. gotta have a push bar!
    Looks like your making loads of progress JW:)
    Are you gonna have a chute?

Stogy, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  2. No chute is planned as at Bonneville i can go to 175 with out and if the Willys motor was to ever go that fast THEN i would gladly make mods and fit one.
    I have started modifying the the engine mount plate to be the same as the car (37 Type) so i can start on the motor/g-box mountings. JW

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Stogy, chopnchaneled and loudbang like this.
  3. Make sure to check the record for that engine class, that is what determines the chute requirement.
    I ended up with a little more chassis than I intended to start with...
    Keep your eye out for a DuVall overhead conversion, that will make the Willy's sing
    J
    IMG_1324 reduced.jpg

VANDENPLAS, kiwijeff, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  4. Looks good John

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. That's very cool and looks like it means business.:cool::cool: JW

6. JW
    Thank you
    It has been a blast to drive
    Running a V4 motor

John

7. I have had the DuVall head mentioned to me before in another thread and as cool as one would be i will stick with what i have.
    Back in'78 i got my stock '37 Willys (50hp) sedan to 85 mph with a small trailer on behind, this got me thinking that if i had a lighter and more streamlined body, a higher rear end ratio and with a hopped up Jeep motor with it counter weighted crankshaft i could have a much stonger and more powerful Willys 4 cly motor of the same (134 cid) displacement.
    Well time will tell and i will have had a blast either way.
    Being heavily influenced by the SoCal tank i am trying to use as many early parts as i can and hand fab as much as i can. I am trying for a vintage look.:cool::cool::) JW

8. JW,
    After you drive it, you will start looking for more speed, trust me.
    Here's a shot just after a run of 155 a few years ago.

Keep up the good work, J
    IMG_6778.JPG

kiwijeff, Stogy, j hansen and 5 others like this.
  9. Isn't that always the case and i would say you are right on. At this stage i would like to get close to 150 mph as this is how fast i drove a mates T bucket with a 354 Hemi 40 years ago, most likely a pipe dream but i gotta start somewhere. :rolleyes:
    That's a very cool photo. :) JW

Stogy, loudbang and AndersF like this.
  10. I'm following along for this ride. Looks good so far!

11. Thanks.:D JW

12. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

Very cool build, excited to see where this will go. Without giving away all of your secrets what are the basics of building and running a Willys engine in the V4 class? Obviously you are way under the cubic inch requirements, so how you you go about making it competitive or at least competent? How are the pre-'35 class legal (?) blocks different than a later Jeep engine? I have a spare engine for my Jeep sitting around, but I have never thought about putting one in a LSR car before.

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  13. The motor is about the same size a a V8 60 (i34 cid verses 136) and it would only be competitive in the pre 35 block class if i could build a Willys 77 motor to the same specs, ie ' putting all Jeep internal in it.The hardest part there is fitting the counter weighted Jeep crank. The motors are all the same size. For example, the motor in my 37 has all Jeep internals except the crank and 35 will be the same when i rebuild that. I feel the pre 35 block in the V4 glass is based on the Ford engine, 34 Model C.
    As for this build it will not be competitive, its just something i have to do as i have had (and still have) pre war Willys since 1976 Just chasing an old dream. JW

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  14. JW,
    question, have you a recent copy of the SCTA rulebook?
    There is a ton of information there, but mostly the contact info on some of the committee chairpersons.
    These folks are really accessible and you may want to discuss your plans prior to coming to the States to run.
    I have a Mate in Nelson who might have an extra copy, PM me if you wish.
    Best, J

15. I got my own Rule Book when at Speed Week in 2019, i even got to hang with George Poteet for 10 minutes....COOL.
    Thanks for the lookout and offer. JW

kiwijeff, Stogy, brEad and 2 others like this.
  16. JW,
    Yeah George is pretty cool, those guys help everyone if they have time and resource.
    Let us know if going this year, from what I understand the quarantine may be lifting for NZ.
    Best, J

17. Mrs W has checked and we can't book anything to the States so its going to be a wait and see. Not getting bent about it as i am now just focused on running it here so i can at least run it and be ready if our travel relaxes.
    In the meantime i haven't done much in the last week as i have a bad cold and cant get to the shed as its winter and very cold at night. I just got a new ram for the pipe bender so i can soon continue with that then tack the hoops in.Hope to have some progress pics soon with the front axle in place, motor a g-box in place etc. JW

18. Yeah, mate called over the weekend, said it was snowing, told him we are melting...

AmishMike, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  19. Myself battling the slushy salt in 2019. JW
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, Stogy, brEad and 3 others like this.
  20. Another filler photo, me and George Poteet. JW
    [​IMG]

21. A small amount of progress today, i finished the new engine mount plates to change them from the angled Jeep mounts to the 37-41 Willys car style flat mounts. This will allow to change the running gear height if i change the tire size as this will be my only way to change the final drive ratio or just the ride height. I also got a package of my new reversed eye front main leaf and the custom made steering arm, made to mount on top backing plate bolt holes. Pics soon.:cool: JW

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    AndersF, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget pin mounts for the digital...maybe 3d Video...these days might they be compact enough...if you have one inside at least it doesn't add windshear...real estate yes indeed...but such incredible Spirit to the Yesteryear...Go JW

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  23. Thanks, Stogy and that will be happening. Would be cool to do in black n white. Got a Go Pro that i need to learn how to use.:rolleyes::D JW

24. These are the engine mount adapters to make the Jeep the same configuration as as the car mounts. There are more holes going in the one on the left. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  25. After removing the original mount tabs i could try them for fit .... perfect! This would also allow this unit to bolt straight into my 37 Willys sedan mmmmm maybe not... something would break.
    I can now bolt the drive line together (soon) and design the mountings. JW
    [​IMG]

26. PaGnome

PaGnome

Hiya 26 T FORD RPU, Thanks for your call last week, Im back from the Gold Coast and ive been having a good look at your Project, ive gotta say, you are doing great and excellent progress, I look forward to chatting more. Im on the Hamb, but havent been on here for some time. You can go to my Facebook page 'P51 Special-Belly Tank Lakester' for build and race pics, just do the request invite thing or send me your FB name and i will join you. Cheers Neil.

AndersF, Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  27. Thanks, Neil and maybe next year you an see it run. Talk soon , i have a couple of questions. ;):cool: JW

28. Just found this Jeremy. You are making good progress.

When I had my jeep shop I installed a lot of either Weber or Solex carbs. I found the Solex carbs worked better at our altitude. There should be kits available that include the manifold and linkage adapters.

Let me know when you are going. I’d like to meet you there and witness the event myself.

Today at Lincoln didn’t go well. Spun the teeth off the timing gear right at the beginning of the tour. Got picked up and back to the hotel. We will be leaving a couple of days early but we still had a good time.

AndersF, Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  29. Welcome aboard, Andy and if/when we get it to the Salt it would be cool to have you there.
    I have decided to run a Holley 350 cfm 2bbl so i can adjust it externally, two Holden (Aussie GM) work well too, i have one on my 37. I will be making a new manifold for this...hope it works:rolleyes:.JW

30. Been talking about getting these hoops trimmed for a while but done now, adjusted and generally made to fit. I had a couple i had bent a tad too far so i got out the hydraulic wood splitter to remedy that. Will tack them in place and try fit the lower body and check there clearance tomorrow. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    kiwijeff, JamieUC, AndersF and 4 others like this.