Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Studebaker M5 rattle problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DoctorDEM, Jun 21, 2021.

1. DoctorDEM

DoctorDEM

Hey everyone, hope y'all are having a good day. Maybe someone out there can help with this weird problem:

I have a bone stock 1947 Studebaker M5 with the original engine, original suspension parts, original exterior and interior, basically original everything ( the only things I have really had to work on are new brake pads, new master cylinder, a carb rebuild, a new fuel pump, and new spark plugs).

Mechanically, the truck is absolutely sound, except for one little detail: anytime I turn the truck on, let it heat up to operational temperature, and start driving it, turning the steering toward the left creates a pretty dramatic rattling noise from the engine compartment. This is only when the truck is turned to the left; turning the vehicle to the right does not create the same sound. Furthermore, turning the car to the left can sometimes create a rattle that is so bad that it will not stop even if the steering is returned to center, until I disengage the first gear, let the truck coast in neutral and then re-engage the first gear again. This second scenario is less likely, but is often more dramatic. Sometimes, I'd say most of the time, when the rattling starts there is a significant decrease in power from the Flathead 6 up front (not that there was too much power coming from it already, but the difference is noticeable).

Gauges are working, and oil pressure is good along with temp. Often it takes driving the car for about 10 mins before that rattle stops happening.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

2. jaracer

jaracer

Something wrong with the motor mounts and/or frame causing the motor to shift on a left hand turn?

3. AGREE

Ben

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Only turn Rt or check the motor mounts.
    Have someone turn the wheel with the motor running while you look everything under the hood over and see if something is moving around.

5. DoctorDEM

DoctorDEM

Ok cool there's no rust in the frame at all so i figure the motor mounts theory seems most likely. Lemme check and I'll get back to yall.

6. aircap

aircap

Ask on the Studebaker Drivers Club forum or Studebaker Truck Talk forum.

vtx1800 likes this.
  7. Fan hitting the shroud?

8. DoctorDEM

DoctorDEM

Eh, this model does not have a shroud.

buick bill likes this.
  9. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

another flywheel thread !

10. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

i didnt think shrowds had been invented yet ! good time to clip it.

11. DoctorDEM

DoctorDEM

So, a weird finding: it's possible it may have been the oil dipstick. It seems the engine has a weird issue in that the dipstick can be seated too far into the block and rattle against either the block or the actual crankshaft. I had read about it and just turned on the truck last night to find the rattle was already starting with the truck idling, and I opened the hood and found the noise coming from the dipstick. Reseated it, and boom: noise gone.

Might have been that easy. Still gonna swap out the mounts.

vtx1800, egads and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  12. 26Troadster

26Troadster

glad to hear you found it.

13. ...all fixes should be that easy!...can you post a pic of your truck?

14. egads

egads

I thought a Studebaker was supposed to rattle? :eek::):eek:( Don't come down too hard, owned quite a few and liked most of them )

vtx1800 likes this.
  15. DoctorDEM

DoctorDEM

For those asking for a picture!

Attached Files:

Turnipseed, egads and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  16. aircap

aircap

It's a feature, not a bug.... right?

I've had a couple of them, too. They didn't rattle.

17. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

My M-5 always rattled, no matter which way it went or turned.
    Even sitting non running in the yard, just the wind blowing is enough to make it rattle. I think if it didn't rattle it wouldn't be a M-5.

18. SS327

SS327

I recall someone having this same problem about 2 years ago. It was the dipstick then also. I think they added to the tube or made an extra bracket for it.