Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Member... Been gone so long I figured I should (re)introduce...

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by chromedRAT, Jun 22, 2021.

1. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

Used to cast aluminum shifter knobs, had a '65 Impala that I dearly loved. I'm old enough to remember Germ,,, and how Trailer Ed got his name, if he's still around. Username comes from almost 20 years ago after a disgusting mummified rat I found in the back seat of the '50 Pontiac that's still in parts on the farm. Sold off the Impala and '41 Plymouth I had because I had no time or money for much of anything for a while, but never really forgot. Wondered how many old-timers are still around.

Driving past the family farm last month, I spotted a Model T Depot Hack hot rod that a friend of my dad had years ago... He stored it at our place for about a year around 1988, and my old man would tear around in it, and I remember being taken to school in it when I was in the 2nd grade. One of quite a bit of extremely cool experiences I had as a kid that involved motorcycles, hot rods, airplanes... Never a dull moment. That dude was, in a lot of ways, a bit of a hero to me, and he died a pretty crappy death a while back.

My boy is getting to the age that I want to provide him the opportunity to learn about cars and have an affinity for hot rods and the like, and with the connection I already had to it, I had to make an attempt and was able to pick it up at a price that wouldn't set me back too badly. He's been helping here and there. Gotta get 'em involved.

Only drove it a handful of times, and the motorcycle tires crapped up front, rad started leaking... little stuff from sitting and being old. It's almost back together, can't wait to drive it again. I've driven stuff from the 40s, 50s, 60s... tractors... Never experienced anything like that T before. It was built in 1982 and brought back from the '87 Street Rod Nats. It sits kinda in between a "60s style" T and later styles that would probably not be traditional enough, so I won't really post it. It will stay just as it is, though, for what it was over 30 years ago to me.

Guess I'm back.

2. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Hey I'd like to see photos of the T Please.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    chromedRAT and Lil32 like this.
  3. Welcome back to the HAMB from Illinois.

4. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

Iike this shot. Doesn't do the stance justice. It has some attitude, i think.

Attached Files:

moparboy440, Lepus, 33HEMI and 2 others like this.

5. Welcome back

6. Hey @chromedRAT welcome back... I'm certainly not one of the old crowd... kinda new at 1 year on the HAMB but happy to welcome and be welcomed as well as learn and be learned.

Cool T you have there...quite unique I would guess. We certainly have our own journeys that led us here and I very much enjoy reading the journey of others.
    :) :cool: :D

chromedRAT likes this.
  7. Lil32

Lil32

welcome

chromedRAT and pprather like this.
  8. Good to have you back. HRP

mail (10).jpeg

chromedRAT likes this.
  9. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

Haha, that's cool.

Got the T going pretty well. Spent a month taking care of the crap that goes wrong when something sits for decades. It's certainly odd, being wood, but what the hell. I just found a picture of me when I was about 8 standing in front of it and Dad's buddy's '33 Willys. Been fun already. It's really, really great at hauling my two you get kids around.

Lil32 likes this.
  10. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

This one's a journey for sure... I have always been a collector, and after he died, I've looked pretty hard for things from Dad's buddy's shop. Most of the dude's stuff went to the winds in 2013, including his '76 Kawasaki that he placed 7th at Daytona on. Seeing this was like a ghost. At first I was sure there was no chance in hell. Went back and it wasn't sitting there. Went back again, there it was and I started making phone calls.

I have the key chain Dad got for me from his Harley shop when I was about 9... I bought the sign off of his shop at the sale they had after he died... Dealership decals, dealership plates, boatload of T-shirts from his shop. I never thought I would own it, but I'm thrilled. It's running pretty good, got it back together. Just little stuff to sort...

It's pretty handy at hauling my kids around... hauled an entire football and both of them to the playground the other day and a couple squashes in a box. So practical :D

OzMerc39 and Lil32 like this.
  11. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

Still not everyone's cup of tea, I'm sure, but I've done a ton to it over the last year (38 different things all totaled up). Got the new front wheels on today, one of the old ones was bent enough that 50mph was a no-no. Next on the list is to build the replacement carb (all three will be live whenever i can afford it), pay off a credit card, then maybe a new distributor since parts for this one may not exist anymore.

It has a Syverson body, and i think i saw a price sheet from the 80s... whoever built this thing paid $2500 i think for the wood body... that's like $8000-$10,000 today... any normal dude would have just went with fiberglass and forgot about it for a lot less. Weird.

Attached Files:

Lil32 likes this.
  12. silent rick

silent rick

i remember you

chromedRAT likes this.