Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects degreasing and clean up the drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1930artdeco, Jun 22, 2021.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yes I've heard of and often use Google but I just thought I'd ask, but didn't realize I was asking a smart ass,

2. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

LOL looked like you were BEING a smart ass with the "WTF". Enough of this :rolleyes:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, I agree, enough, but I used initials only because you did.

'28phonebooth likes this.
  4. I used a plastic kiddie pool to decrease my sbf & transmission, I set the block and transmission on pieces of 4x4 to space them up off the pool and then scraped off the big chunks of sludge and theh sprayed the engine & transmission down with HD easy off oven cleaner, WARNING this stuff is caustic and you want to be out in the fresh air.

Let it work and then hose it off, repeat if needed, after removing the parts you candump sand or kitty litter in the pool to wick up the water and oven cleaner, HRP

chryslerfan55 and lemondana like this.
  5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Nice thing about the kiddie pool thing is that you can let it sit and evaporate the water away and reduce it down- just don't leave it where the critters can get to it

6. birdman1

birdman1

Take it to the local car wash

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Here's what I recently discovered; "Dawn Power-Wash"; I saw a commercial on TV where they sprayed it on a funky frying pan and the goo just miraculously slid off the pan, & thought... Hmmmm, I wonder... So I bought some and tried it on my tin drip pan from under the car/ truck parking area. It was gummed up with oil, A.T.F., gear lube and who knows what. (I had previously tried some Califonia version of acetone, then laquer thinner, but that just smeared the grease around and made me give up) So I squirted a good thick foamy coat of that Power-Wash stuff on the drip pan & waited for about 1/2 a beer. I took an old scrub brush and scrubbed around for half a minute then rinsed it all off with a hose. Holy shit, that stuff actually works! If you don't believe me, try it!
    Having said that, I think I've found a new way to clean engines, frames, grandkids...

MMM1693, chryslerfan55 and wraymen like this.
  9. [QUOTE="Jacksmith, post: 14543872, member: 93062" So I squirted a good thick foamy coat of that Power-Wash stuff on the drip pan & waited for about 1/2 a beer. I took an old scrub brush and scrubbed around for half a minute then rinsed it all off with a hose. ..[/QUOTE]
    Half a beer? That could be anything from 5 seconds to four hours(ladies night at the local bar and low on funds). ;)

427 sleeper and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  10. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Half a beer? That could be anything from 5 seconds to four hours(ladies night at the local bar and low on funds). ;)[/QUOTE]
    Exactly!

chryslerfan55 and wraymen like this.
  11. spanners

spanners

Half a beer over here could be a long neck, 750mls (26 fluid oz).

12. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Stilll... not a lot of time (A.K.A. the point)

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I asked ALEXA, I don`t have google on my phone. Had to play it 3 times to understand it.

14. The 2 self-wash places by me have no attendants, I'm sure they have cameras all over. Plus they work on debit cards, no tokens or coins. There may be a record of your visit.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Set it on two saw horses in your grass and it will go away on its own. Yes you don't want to dump stuff in a stream, but I've cleaned a bunch of things with my pressure washer in the grass and it never hurt anything. Heck, I end up with half the stuff on me because the water riccochets off the engine........:D

BamaMav and BigDogSS like this.
  16. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

^^^^ This ^^^^

17. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

My gravel driveway next to the shop works well... let it dry, rake it... ala-kazam, gone!

MMM1693 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. I did the bottom of my car on my asphalt driveway. I soaked it down with simple green, used a putty knife to catch the big globs of yuck. Then went after it with a pressure washer. I let it dry and swept up most of what fell off the car.

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yeah, me too. People forget grass and dirt filter the stuff. A few years back I had some trees cut on the property, the guy set up his knuckle boom loader at the edge of the yard. It had a hydraulic oil leak, about a gallon or two a day, turned one spot on the ground black. After a few months, I ended up with the greenest spot of grass in the yard! And to this day it's still greener and grows better than the rest of the yard. I wouldn't pour oil directly into water, but grass and dirt will filter it.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  20. Oil and gravel work well. Government tested and approved o_O:rolleyes::eek: I remember in Australia that the Town Council sprayed water from water tankers on the unmade dusty roads in town but they also sprayed waste oil from a tanker. Those roads/streets were blackish colour and the oil did,nt evaporate, it just soaked in.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd just like to know what 1930artdeco did 13 months ago when he asked. He actually lives in Lyndon Wa up next to the Canadian border and as he said with a creek close by. Unlike city folks those of us out in the country also have to think about what might soak into the ground and get in the well water or work it's way to the creek or drain. Some good ideas and some pretty lame and irresponsible ideas.
    I've got one out here now that will probably get scraped over a sheet of cardboard and then scrubbed down with a biodegradable cleaner. I know that every gasket and seal will get replaced as it leak oil every place one can leak.

Paul likes this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    These days, it is not worth the effort to do any kind of cleaning on any surface at residential homes and driveways. If you are doing any kind of cleaning in your backyard that does not lead to a surface street drain, then you are ok to clean whatever you want. If it is hazardous, all city ordinances point to the fact that a trap of some kind needs to be used. But care is to be taken to self contain any solutions and products as a residue.

upload_2022-7-15_8-28-44.png
    With the water restrictions out west, it is a very dry summer. water use is strictly for us, the yard and household items. limited in use as always. Whole car washing? It is a thing of the past with the spray and wipe doing most of the cleaning maintenance, these days. Remember those sprays for cleaning black dust off of wheels? Not anymore, as the residue is now considered illegal dumping waste.

So, for most of us, a commercial center with power spray hoses and drains that lead to their own contained tanks are the easiest solution to cleaning any product. All of the waste is contained in tanks and they are sucked out like boat/marina sump cleanout services. A giant hose comes inside of tank outlet and sucks out the pollutants to their portable tanks to be emptied in certified hazardous waste facilities. All boats are required to use these “come to the dock services” or use the pump out stations provided as every harbor or dock system.

Jnaki

Here are several local information points about household wastes and driveways. They are city approved ordinances for all homes and businesses.

These are from separate local coastal cities making draining to the ocean mandatory for clean water and beaches.

Automotive
    · Commercial vehicle washers must contain and properly dispose of all materials and wash water.
    · Residents are allowed to wash vehicles in driveways so long as the water leaving the location is clear and colorless.
    Some helpful suggestions include:
    · Minimize water by using an on/off nozzle (required).
    · Use less soap, your car will actually be cleaner.
    · Never hose off brake dust or engine components at home...use a car wash.
    · When in doubt, collect the water with a shop vac or towels.
    · Pour excess soap on or in garden.
    · Have your car maintained regularly to prevent oil, antifreeze and other fluid leaks.
    · Clean up spills with rags or kitty litter.
    · Recycle used oil and antifreeze by taking them to service stations or other recycling centers.
    · Never put used oil or other chemicals down storm drains or in drainage ditches.
    (One quart of oil can contaminate up to two million gallons of drinking water!)

Can I hose down my sidewalks and driveways?
    It is illegal to hose down or power wash or your sidewalks and driveways if the water enters the streets, gutters, storm drain or receiving water. Hosing or power washing flushes all of the pollutants that are on the streets, sidewalks and driveways into the nearest storm drain and out to the ocean. These pollutants typically include oil and other automobile fluids, metals from air pollution that have settled, pet waste, lawn waste, bacteria, sediments and trash. There are methods that can be employed to contain and properly dispose of wash water, preventing it from entering the storm drain. For example, wash water can be contained in a specified area with a sandbag berm, straw waddle or other methods, then vacuumed up with a shop-vac and then dispose of in a utility sink or sewer cleanout or into a vegetated area which has the capacity to handle the amount of washwater. It is important to make sure you or your contractor have the proper equipment to do the job without violating laws.

An alternative to wet washing is sweeping up areas in need of cleaning and disposing the debris in the trash. This also supports water conservation.

It is permitted to wash your personal vehicle at home; however, if a hired service (such as a mobile detailer) is used, the washwater must be contained and disposed of properly. It is important for you to make sure any hired services have the proper equipment to do the job without violating any laws. There are products available, such as car washing mats, to help mobile detailers adhere to the law. Sandbag or straw waddles are a simple, easily accessible way to contain the wash area so that the washwater can be vacuumed up with a shop vac and disposed in a utility sink or sewer cleanout or other designated location.

It is important to point out that due to the potential impacts of traditional residential “self” carwashing on ocean water quality, as well as the importance of conserving water, traditional residential self carwashing is discouraged. However, a number of alternatives are available to keep your car clean, such as taking the vehicle to a commercial car wash, where wash water is recycled and then directed to the sanitary sewer for treatment; using a waterless product for cleaning; and/or utilizing a high pressure, low water system that does not result in runoff.

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

When I do a cleanup under a car I try to clean as much as possible by hand using brushes, spray cleaners, and rags. Before starting the work I go to Harbor Freight or wherever and buy the cheapest small tarp they sell and lay it down and then drive over it to locate the car's engine/trans. This protects the concrete, and catches any crud. And I don't have to be so careful when scraping or brushing things off.
    Once I'm done I back the car off the tarp and just fold it up and take it to the garbage can. If it's not too much of a mess I fold it up and store it for reuse. If it's a big mess I just toss it all in the trash.