Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wheel/ tire combo suggestions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hawkerdriver, Jun 21, 2021.

1. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

I recently bought a 32 5 window full fendered coupe. Not a fan of the current name wheel/ tire set up. Looking for a late 50’s wheel tire setup with 47 sombrero hubcaps. I’ve been told 16’s might be too big with a fendered car. What suggestions would some of you have?

Just Gary likes this.
  2. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Here’s the current setup- American racing 5 spoke with radials

Attached Files:

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@hawkerdriver

Nice looking car. One item I would suggest you consider is moving the rear wheel/tire inward to fit within the fender. That very possibly will require a narrower rear axle as the rear wheel does not appear to be deep offset.

Beyond that, the Sombrero (Cadillac ? or ) wheel covers should be acquired before you select the wheels as the wheel contours (and diameter) are very important to the cover fitment. Tires are another issue entirely. Whether you are good with radials or must have bias ply will have a bearing on tire size/diameter/width.

The exception to picking the wheel cover first would be if you decide tire size and construction have a higher priority than the wheel cover style/appearance.

Some compromise may be in order to get the best combination for overall appearance.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

5FDEDABB-F5B3-4A16-A08B-A174A8598185.jpeg Five spokes rule

Jibs, Thor1, das858 and 10 others like this.

5. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Yeah changing the rear end is definitely on the list. Its an Olds rear end that was put in the car back in ‘60 and it does quite fit the car.
    Thinking of a Currie or even a quick change. Mostly I’m looking for tire/ wheel ideas. I’m somewhat retarded when it comes to that part of the car. I do like the setup with hubcaps and white walls. Not a huge fan of wire wheels. I’m open to suggestions and pics of other cars and what they’ve got

6. Those rims are period correct for a 60’s build…straight spoke Americans…need a narrower rear end and it would be perfect..If it were me…Chrome Reverse would be my other choice…

Stogy, VANDENPLAS, jnaki and 2 others like this.
  7. Chrome OE steelies.
    Spider caps

F-ONE, VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  8. Magfiend

Magfiend

Halibrands...mag if you can swing it...

mcsfabrication and loudbang like this.
  9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I like chrome reverse or black steel wheels on the Hot Rods....

The wheels you have on it now are good looking but the rears are the wrong size. I would keep the fronts and swap the backs for black steel wheels like the Wheel Vintiques Series 62 painted medium gloss black with chrome lugs. In the rear I would use Pro Trac Street Pro tires like a 235/60-15. These are a modern Bias Ply tire that ride and handle better then the old bias plys but they have that great look.. I would keep the radials up front for good handling. I've been mixing front radial rear bias ply for years without any issue..

10. swifty

swifty

Nice car and you've got a big 60's vibe going there with all that tire hanging out of the fender. You need a 57" rear axle and probably 2 to 3" lowering before you tackle the wheel/tire situation. Need to get your tires inside and centered in the fender first. What are the details on your current wheel/tire combo. Also PM @nochop and get his info as his coupe has similar wheels and looks the goods- that's if you agree. Also how you plan to use the car comes into it - long trips or just local cruises?

Stogy likes this.
  11. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Your putting the cart before the horse, fix the rear end first...

da34guy, hawkerdriver and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There is a school of thought that the best way to determine the most correct axle width is to start with the wheel tire combination you intend to use. Then space the two wheel/tire combos at the overall width they will need to be to fit the body/chassis as desired. Then measure the distance from the inside to inside wheel mounting surfaces and you arrive at the needed axle width.

Ray

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

they are wonderful with whitewalls and panel striping

32.jpg

14. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

If you like steels and caps, you could just go simple black steels and a plain cap:
    [​IMG]

Or run one of the later caps ? lots of repops around. I like the 40 deluxe caps:
    [​IMG]

Whatever wheel you go for you could paint the wheel a highlight colour ? note the artillery wheel on the '35, could be an option ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trim rings ?
    [​IMG]

Merc caps?
    [​IMG]

Something a bit more unusual, I think these could look good, '55
    [​IMG]

Full caps?
    [​IMG]

Flippers ?
    [​IMG]

Fiesta ?
    [​IMG]

Reverse chrome ?
    [​IMG]

Halibrand style, that someone mentioned
    [​IMG]

Another, this time with the big rear sidewall. If you like the deep dish rear american rebel mfg do a "cheat", the wheel looks a lot deeper that it is at the cost of some backspacing, so the point made above, definately get the wheels first and then work out rear end width, as its likely to be much narrower.
    [​IMG]

I think you do need to think about tires at the same time, crossplys ? radial ? big & littles ? sidewall height ? skinny fronts ? pie crusts ?
    Ignoring the rear end, what space do you have in the arch, both width and height (as your desired ride height - maybe you want to bring it down a little ?

this is a useful site to work out dimensions of a tire from its size https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Stogy, Just Gary and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Did that coupe come from Florida??

16. Somewhere there's a picture of a fuschia/lavander/orchid colored '32 Ford coupe with pinstriped Moon discs that you'd LOVE. Maybe someone else can find it.
    Meanwhile, here are some others with hubcaps:
    wheels 1932-ford-roadster-pick-up-time-merchant-title.jpg
    wheels CCC_32Ford-Custom-08.jpg
    wheels 001-breece-munz-1932-ford-coupe-front-three-quarter-alt-1.JPG
    wheels 001-HOT-ROD-2-PACK-IMAGINARY-RODS.jpg
    wheels 0901rc-11-pl-1932-ford-roadster-front-passenger-side.jpg
    wheels 1932-ford-lilac-coupe-dave-koontz.jpg
    wheels 20210618_113517.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-6-22_6-10-55.png

Hello,

Nice 32 coupe. It has all of the items that most would like for a hot rod ready for cruising all over the place.

In looking at your photo angle, it looks like you have tires on the rear rims that might be the wrong size. It looks like the tire width needs to be slightly wider/larger. But, if you had some cheater slicks that were the same diameter that fit under the fender, it could be a simple answer to just changing the two rear tires. The somewhat flat slicks with grooves on the same wheels, would make the coupe look ready for cruising or the drags.
    upload_2021-6-22_6-12-41.png
    No need to change the axles or complete rear end. The wider slicks would stick out a little, but, with fenderless roadsters and coupes, at least most of your tires are semi-covered. Simplicity works first, then if a complete changeover is necessary, then go for it, to make those 5 spokes with new tires fit inside of the fenders.

Jnaki

Not that you are thinking of chopping the top, but this 32 has wider regular tires that are taller to fit the wheel opening in the fender. This may not be the look you want, but your 5 spoke wheels look just perfect for a 1960s hot rod.
    upload_2021-6-22_6-14-7.png
    The time period (1959-64) was when the American Racing Equipment 5 Spoke Mag Wheels came out to the general public. They were a big hit with drag racing guys, but very expensive for us normal teenagers with little cash.

18. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Nope. If you know you are changing the rear anyway, pick the wheels first, then have the rear built to fit.

Hnstray, hawkerdriver and Just Gary like this.
  19. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

You Already Have The Wheels....Just Adjust... 91206980_2589126828078249_1361442927036858368_o.jpg

20. 1929rats

1929rats

Personally, id leave it as is, or....put on ansen 5 slots....that car looks like it rolled right out of 1972. I love it. great car man!

squirrel and Budget36 like this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

I too like the OPs wheels.

Inside the fenders and lowered a bit may help with the look some as well.

22. 4speed411

4speed411

New Auburn Classic Redlines PXL_20210601_151446728~2.jpg

23. slowmotion

slowmotion

What Lou said. Drop the front an inch or two, call it done.

24. squirrel

squirrel

If those wheels were 50 years old, they'd look like they belong....they're just too dang new and shiny. And the rear tires are too skinny. Other than that, it looks good the way it is.

Those rear ends are hard to find, make sure it goes to someone who will put it too good use in a traditional car, when you change it out.

-Brent- likes this.
  25. '50s era caddies ran 15s. Sombrero caps came in 15".
    Even if they didn't there are options such as ripple caps that can be had in pretty near any common wheel size.

Just Gary likes this.
  26. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

This is what I’m dealing with rear end wise. Definitely too wide of a rear axel.
    I’ll be on the hunt for a 57 Chevy or a Currie rear end before tackling the wheel/ tire thing

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.
  27. twenty8

twenty8

Does my ass look big in this ???????????...:rolleyes:

28. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Hahaha!!!

twenty8 likes this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

50 years ago the wheels would be shiny and look like new.
    Why not have shiny wheels now?

30. squirrel

squirrel

There's something about a shiny old part, that just looks better than a shiny new part.

I guess if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Hollywood-East, F-ONE, Tman and 3 others like this.