Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stolen - Bonnieville sign

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stillrunners, Jun 17, 2021.

1. A lot of "normal" gear heads took photos of their cars with the sign, including me. Just pisses me off. 50deliveryRockys.jpg

2. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

DSCN0633.JPG

2014, at the time it was Lake Bonneville

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I hauled my fat arse there in 2009 for the USFRA event, and had to have the obligatory photo taken.
    upload_2021-6-19_19-3-3.jpeg

4. If you are referring to my post, we know who did it.

5. I was and i don't. At this stage the only one (s) that know where it is are butt hole (s) that took it.JW

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If "we" know who did it, why haven't "we" gathered up a posse and a new rope yet?

7. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Neither was 2020 IMG_4169.JPG

8. Wrench97

Wrench97

Maybe it's stuck on a ship in the Suez canal..................................

9. Sad that the sign was stolen…but this has been entertaining. Kind of like a mixture of NCIS, Barnaby Jones, Matlock and a little Looney Tunes thrown in. ;)

10. We prayed for his soul. That is the proper thing to do and the H.A.M.B does not condone violence.

11. Let it go....please!!! JW

12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

There is a Anti Graffiti Clear made by PPG that nothing sticks to they use it on public transportation everything just washes off. When I worked at Chaparral Trailer and Champion Trailer we used it. At Champion we painted Harolds golf cart with it and he proceeded to put stickers on it and over the weekend they all fell off. Paint remover won’t touch it only makes it shine. If you want to remove it you must break the surface tension by sanding it with course paper.

13. Deuces

Deuces

That's gotta include a major beating in my book... That way, they'll think twice about ripping stuff off ....:mad:o_O

14. shorrock

shorrock

I went through my files and realised that I never had someone take a picture with me in front of the sign. Been there 10 years in a row to drive a streamliner - I hope the sign shows up again. Next time I will make sure to get a picture taken

15. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

That was my first thought, the thief can't display it or everyone will know they're a tool...

16. Deuces

Deuces

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their nutsack!......

17. Don’t worry, those involved WILL get theirs in the end.

18. There ! I fixed it for ya ! Mr. Secrets :D

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

[​IMG]

what do people expect.a beautiful sign like that mounted on wooden stakes.if i had seen it and thought id get away with it id have whipped it myself.its probably gone to some other country in a container face down.next one should be a heavy duty affair.big foundations welded to substantial girders.shouldnt dissapear so easily

48fordnut, 26 T Ford RPU and Lil32 like this.
  20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

[​IMG]
    this one didnt look secure either.with battery powered grinders nothing is that safe nowadays.

21. Ironically when this new sign went up everybody agreed how cheesy it was compared to earlier versions. I don't really care, signs get defaced and stolen all the time. The real crime is the BLM letting Intrepid rape the sub surface water thereby depleting the salt surface.

Carter, Papas32, ClayMart and 9 others like this.
  22. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

If you think no gear-head would steal the sign, then you have not been in many garages these days. Yes, you can get a number of the Chinese repro car signs for cheep at Hobby Lolly (I have a few of them). And when I was in the Southern Hemisphere, they LOVED American signs. And for the Bonneville sign, it sits all by its self at the end of a 5 mile access road, and so the temptation was too great. All types of art is stolen everyday by people that feel it it their right to own something no one else has. There is a market for anything,,,, like 32 Ford Hot Rods.

23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Which is why everyone should support the Save the Salt Foundation.

Save the Salt Foundation is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to protect the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah and to promote its history and motorsports legacy. The organization aspires to keep this national treasure available for future generations.

In 2011, a number of prominent organizations formed the "Save the Salt Coalition" to help the nonprofit organization achieve its goal. The Coalition is seeking to restore the Bonneville Salt Flats. The Coalition is working with government officials, mine operators and others to supplement the current salt replenishment activities. In 2014, the Utah Alliance, a Utah-based advocacy group was formed to use its expertise and contacts at the local level to protect this historic place listed on the National Register.

https://savethesalt.org
    sticker1.jpg

24. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Next thing to get stolen out there is gonna be The Salt Flats Tree, Metaphor. When that happens, nobody from the east will know when to start slowing down for Bonneville;)[​IMG]

25. Seen some "so what" on here and on other sites as well. Just don't think the guys and crews bringing their cars to run here - along with friends for support in the coming months - will get a good positive vibe when they pass the spot where the sign hung. Pretty sure the sign might not be replaced before Speed Weeks begin......what a drag on a possible record run !

26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Several years I saw a post on here from an east of the Mississippi guy who took a route 66 trip and posted some pictures of things he stole along the way like a part of one of the arrows from the old Twin Arrows trading post. His attitude was if he didn't take it someone else would. Sadly he was correct but that doesn't make him right.. One of my enduring dreams is to be returning home meet someone on my road in possession of some of my stuff.

27. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

As I have said you come to a garage sale at my place ,see something with your name on it , it’s 1/2 the marked price to you . Ha Ha . I hate a stealing bastard . Anything I’m not using is yours for the asking , just don’t let me catch you stealing it . I could stop a lot of the silliness happening in our country , but that’s against the law also . There is no punishment for crime anymore . I get so mad , try this in another country and see where it gets you . Man , we live in a great place , it has its faults , but try the second one inline for a bit and see how it works , before destroying this place anymore .

28. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I’m thinking that if they love Bonneville so much they gotta steal the sign, maybe they should experience the whole place. Slowly drug across the long course to help smooth it out for SpeedWeek!

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It would be safe if they hooked up 440 to it !

30. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Hnstray, wraymen and alanp561 like this.