Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Photo captions on archived HRM articles?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tdesoto276, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Tdesoto276

Tdesoto276
    from Des Moines

Anybody have any tips on recovering the photo captions on old Hot Rod (and Street Rodder/R&C etc.) magazine articles archived on hotrod.com? In their current format, only a few of the photos appear in the main article, but some of the best technical info shows up in the photo captions. All or most of the photos appear in a photo gallery, but no captions. Anybody have a work around on this?

loudbang likes this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Take the complete page and scan it into a digital file on your computer. Then, it comes out as if you copied the page. But if it needs highlighting, you can adjust the focus and clarity on your home computer/laptop's photo program.

Jnaki

If you set your scan on 300dpi, then it should be fine. If you want a more detailed scan, set it for 600 dpi to see the difference. It only takes a few seconds and now, you have a quality digital file of the whole page, comments, captions and photos. Also, you can break up the page with your photo program for individual photos or just the captions.

Just highlight the photo and type in your own format information derived from the article with real facts.

upload_2021-6-20_8-30-59.jpeg

3. Tdesoto276

Tdesoto276
    from Des Moines

Great idea if you have the original article in print form. Unfortunately, I don't have a complete collection. Many of the later articles are archived online in digital and not magazine page format, but without captions. Its those captions i'm looking for.

loudbang likes this.
  4. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

5. 296ardun

296ardun

It is a great question. Sometimes the only solution is to find the original Hot Rod. For example, I found some great photos on the Hot Rod site from the 1955 Bonneville nationals, but many photos were not captioned. But just this morning I opened my father day presents from my oldest daughter, and there was a 1955 Hot Rod with Bonneville coverage, and captions. Over the years, she sends me Hot Rods for birthday, Christmas, and Father's Day. So my captions collection has been growing.

6. loudbang

loudbang

I have run into the exact same problem. They changed this maybe 2-3 months ago. It used to show the photos and a sidebar with the captions but not anymore. I haven't found any way around it. MAYBE if you could match a photo then find that photo in the Peterson archives they MAY still have the captions, https://archive.petersen.org/pages/home.php?login=true

Tdesoto276 likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

maybe you could give us an example....ie. a link? or an article title/date?

My guess is that you'll have to find the paper version to get all the captions. On the other hand, some of the online articles include a lot of pictures that weren't printed, so there just are no captions for those extra pictures.

8. Tdesoto276

Tdesoto276
    from Des Moines

loudbang likes this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

You Can't always trust the information in the captions either. Sometimes the author got it wrong.

loudbang likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

yup, if the story is important to you, you probably need to the print version.

11. If you can get the month/year the needed article appeared, ask here if someone has it in their collection.
    They can photo copy and snail mail. Or save it electronically and send it with a conversation.
    I've done both methods to share needed articles from my collection.

12. loudbang

loudbang

Yea that is the new style they USED to have to caption to the right of the photo. But in some of the articles now the captions are part of the article. Don't go to "see all photos" but look in the article SOMETIMES some of the photos are in the article with captions but not all of them.

13. SR100

SR100

@moparboy440 had it right, but there's a catch. Actually two of them. First, not all of the cached pages on Archive.org have the captions, second, not all of the pictures are saved.
    When I went to the earliest cached pages, Sept 2015 to Oct 2016, there were no captions.
    On the Nov 10 2016 page they were there, under the photos in the 'View all 54 photos' link:
    ArCapture.JPG

Even if the photo wasn't:
    ArCaptureF.JPG

loudbang and Tdesoto276 like this.