Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical BEST 1940 FORD STEERING WHEEL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mandriano, Jun 14, 2021.

1. mandriano

mandriano
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who makes the best 15" or 16" 40 ford steering wheel.

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look at Julianos. Plus they offer a hydrowrap in a multitude of colors.

Turbo26T likes this.
  3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have one on my 40 from Lime Works. Great quality.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  4. Lecarra Mark 40, 15" on mine...

5. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Bought mine from m Southern Rods. Maybe a Vintique wheel??? I like it.

6. puller

puller
    from arkansas

I really like the high quality of my Limeworks 16" steering wheel.

nochop likes this.
  7. I like the Limeworks wheel.
    Just be sure the repro wheel you buy is for the early Ford column, not a GM type aftermarket column.

nochop likes this.
  8. mandriano

mandriano
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you all for your input

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

The Vntique 15” wheels fits GM style columns and original I believe.

10. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

FORD

11. swifty

swifty

Ford make a 17" 40 wheel. Vintique make a 15" and Limeworks a 16" copy.

Both Vintique and Limeworks make wheels to suit either GM style columns or early Ford.
    I prefer the 16" Limeworks wheel as I feel that the 15" Vintique wheel is too small and loses some of the original style because of that.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yup, Henry Ford made the best 40 Ford wheel. Those small aftermarket wheels are a pet peeve of mine, I hate em, but then again I hate all modern stuff.....

stillrunners, Phillips, 35cab and 3 others like this.
  13. I've worked with a Limeworks wheel. I spent many hours on it before it was ready for paint, then more sanding etc. Came out beautiful, but at an hourly rate + material +the wheel cost, it was an expensive wheel. Others may be happy to use one as-is.

14. I personally like the 16" Forty wheel, especially in the tight confines of a '32 Ford pickup, I tried the original 17" wheel and couldn't turn the wheel because it was too close to the door, believe it or not the Limeworks wheel looks like it's original not like some of the reproduction small wheels. HRP

Guy Patterson and 35cab like this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-6-19_5-13-17.png

Hello,

When my wife and I purchased our next hot rod project, it looked nice, but was not roadworthy as far as we were concerned. Sure, we love the sedan delivery at first sight, the 327 power, the cool looks we got driving home and the A/C for my wife. But, we both had major concerns about the safety of the sedan delivery and its road worthiness. It was nothing we could not handle, as the sedan delivery was going to be a big part of our 20 something lives.

The inside was a stock dash, but the first thing we did was to replace the stock steering wheel with a Moon 4 spoke wheel. The bucket seat adjustment made it ok to install the four spoke steering wheel. Even when my wife drove the sedan delivery by herself, the adjustable bucket seats made the steering wheel entrance and exit just fine. I had to adjust the seat when I drove and the clearance of the Moon wheel was just perfect for the both of us.

This is the key to the topic of BEST. There is no best for everyone. The steering wheel has to be your choice, but more importantly, when installed, it has to fit the situation. If you have to crowd around the wheel for a comfortable driving position, then it was the wrong application, despite the cost or looks. The steering wheel position has to fit the occupants or the ones doing all of the driving times.

Driving comfort and driving position is the utmost to check. There are plenty of choices, but your measurements are the most important. We can all tell you how cool each choice is and where to get the best deal. That is nice, but it will still be up to you to take your own measurements and see if your comfortable driving position will fit a deep dish steering wheel or a larger diameter wheel.

In our stock 1940 Ford steering column, the Moon 4 spoke gave us the feeling of driving a hot rod directly from racing at Lion’s Dragstrip. Plus, it looked cool in contrast to the whole interior upholstery and red external paint. The best thing was, it fit, the installation was pretty simple and even the horn worked. But, the major thing was that we had plenty of room for comfort while driving or just hanging out in the individual seats.

Jnaki

For lack of money after we spent months of suspension and handling problems, the wheel/tire situation was only allowing us to get 4 new tires. But, the wheels were coated with black spray and small hubcaps/beauty trim rings were added… just like my first hot rod, a Flathead powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery back in high school.
    upload_2021-6-19_5-21-47.png
    If teenage money was not a problem, a 4 spoke black steering wheel like the one we had on our 1940 Willys Coupe we built for the drags, was my first choice for my own sedan delivery. But, I could not afford to buy the sedan delivery that had a 348 Chevy motor, so the owner lowered the cost and gave me a Flathead motor.

Take the list of the steering wheels, go measure all of them for depth/diameter and make some cardboard cutouts. Then install it on your column. Adjust your seats and room for all drivers. If you don’t have a stock Ford column, well that falls into another category. YRMV

16. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Jnaki isn't "hollerin" he typed in a different font, don't even think it's "bold"...
    Hollerin is when you type in ALL CAPITALS OR UPPER CASE!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    MinorThreat and jnaki like this.
  18. coast40

coast40

Thanks for the vendor info. jnaki uses the 'B' BOLD feature when posting. It is easier for my old eyes to read, so I post in it, too.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    lothiandon1940 likes this.