Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rochester 2G wants to stall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dino 64, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I have read through lots of threads but none with this issue. It’s SBC with a 3x2. Outside carbs are blocked off. Idle is steady sitting in the garage when I tune it with a vacuum gauge. Drives well until I come to a stop, that’s when it wants to stall. I’ve checked the idle mixture screws a few times and it seems ok. No vacuum leaks that I know of.
    When it comes to a stop the fuel level in float goes forward. Could that cause the stall if it’s out of adjustment ? Could fuel pressure be involved ?
    Thanks in advance, appreciate the help ;)

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Improper float level can cause this. A bad brake booster, PCV, or faulty dist. advance mechanism can also be causes for it.
    I'd check these things.

Dino 64 likes this.
  3. hepme

hepme

You've done right so far, blocking the ends totally (with plates and gaskets, and tight) and setting up the middle for driving. If you have the stock pump, doubtful its fuel pressure on the center-they came that way. Have you checked the float for leaks? Not sure what you mean by level goes forward-carb should be dead level measured on the top. Forget the vac. gauge, i've done it that way too but your eyesight and ears should tell you when its running smooth at idle. Vacuum is the killer on all these, must not have any vac. leaks anywhere. Put back one end at a time and see if it changes drastically, if so its prob. a vac. leak through the 'flys in the base-typical. Big IF the ends are o.k. it should be fine to drive, you might want to add a regulator set for 3-3.5 lbs. to keep away any flooding issues. Drive it for a while with just the center until you get it right, otherwise hope you have a lot of time.

4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks guys, don’t have a brake booster. So the float is too high, not enough fuel ?
    I’ll check for any possible vacuum leaks. Just finished the build, only out a few times. Running with outside carbs blocked till the center one is good. The inertia would cause the fuel in the bowel to be pushed towards the front of the bowel when I stop

5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Back up

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021