Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Well, looks like I'm a Rambler man now!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KandN Kustoms, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

We had a '64 Rambler American with center console and buckets seats. Best car we ever had.
    Had dealer installed A/C and was the best year-round car, even in the snow.

Here is a link to a cool place just outside of Denver you may like, call the Rambler Ranch.
    All of the cars are unrestored cars. No high dollar trailer queens. At least 4 huge indoor buildings,
    plus a fully restored Sinclair station...

Nash, Rambler & AMC | Rambler Ranch | United States

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    rod1, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Bob,
    Thanks for the link.
    Looks like a neat place!
    I just might have to check it out next time I'm out that way...

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. outagas1961

outagas1961

an amc 360 or 401 would make it a screamer! ask anyone whos owned a 69 scrambler

4. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Oh, by the way, I did get around to installing the helper springs that farna suggested.
    They worked really well. Haven't had any problems with rubbing and, only raised the car up an inch in the rear.
    Also, while I had the tires off I trimmed up the wheel well lip a bit just to get a little more room.
    Next I'm going to lower the front just a bit for a little better look i think.
    And my shocks came in too so, I have to find some time to install those.
    As usual here's pics for proof... 20210410_150908.jpeg 20210410_150957.jpeg 20210410_153405.jpeg 20210411_131643.jpeg 20210411_131634.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Well that didn't work........
    I decided since it's my last day of vacation I'd se if I could get some coil spring compressors on to lower the front a bit.
    Man what a pain in the butt!
    After about an hour or so I finally lowered it down from the jackstands and it looked really good
    Thought to myself, ild better take it for a spin just to see if it affected the ride to much.
    So long story short , I ended up pulling them right back off!
    Every little bump I hit it bottomed out! And it only lowered it an inch or so!
    Here's a picture of after I got them on and right before I took them off ! Lol! 20210516_124740.jpeg

6. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

7. nickleone

nickleone

8. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

loudbang likes this.
  9. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Well guys and gals, I'm back once again!
    Haven't really been doing much to the old Rambler just driving her around.
    I did take my grandson to a little father's day show today.
    Well at least it was SUPPOSED to be a show! Lol!
    We got there about 1030 and drove around trying to find where the show was when we ran into a nice guy in a golf cart that informed us that it was basically canceled because of some heavy rain we got last night.
    So we were informed that we could park next to some antique tractors and just wait to see if anyone else showed up or not.
    So while we wasted some time we walked around, did I mention it was at our county fair?
    Anyway while we were waiting we met some new friends, checked out some chicks and even saw an ass! Lol! 20210620_104749.jpg 20210620_104744.jpg 20210620_104712.jpg 20210620_104749.jpg 20210620_104744.jpg 20210620_104712.jpg 20210620_104749.jpg 20210620_104744.jpg 20210620_104712.jpg

10. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

So after awhile we figured it was going to be a bust. So we decided to head out.
    Went to get in my car and noticed a box on the front seat. Opened it up and there was a trophy in it!
    Saw the guy I talked to earlier aways away and asked him if he put it there and he said he didn't want us to go home empty handed since we were the only ones who showed up! Lol!

Attached Files:

11. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

All in all, it was a good day!
    Got to spend it with my grandson and drive around in an old car all day!
    Doesn't get much better!

12. SS327

SS327

How did you get a picture of me? I’m in Indiana! o_O

loudbang likes this.
  13. farna

farna

Well, not the best way to get a trophy, but at least you got to spend some quality time with the kid!

Lowering... You mentioned it bottomed out? Where was it touching? I'm thinking maybe the edge of the wheel cutout (fender)? Looks like you might need a little more backset. Nickleone mentioned lowering plates, which lower about 1-5/8" (IIRC... but can go up to around 2-1/4 - 2-1/2"). If the wheel is hitting that won't help, of course. If the suspension or shock is bottoming out it will. Does it rid well with the stock springs without coils clamped? I find it hard to believe that one coil clamped down lets them bottom out, but the springs are rather soft and short. Sounds like they may be weak with age too -- though I've never had a 64-69 American, just the older 61-63 which uses a much taller spring. The 64-65 uses a spring similar to my 63 Classic in size (64 American is basically a cut down 63 Classic).

I've never clamped the springs in my car, bought new ones from www.coilsprings.com. I ordered them 1/2" shorter than stock, 10% stiffer. You can go about 1" lower on the springs, that's all. If you plan on using lowering plates I'd go with stock height. 10% stiffer improves handling, but 12% will improve it more without being a harsh ride. I'd used 12% on another car, and that is the best compromise between handling and ride IMHO. You can just tell the springs are a good bit stiffer on a rough road. The high mount spring suspension with the springs way out right over the steering knuckle is very roll resistant. With the 12% springs adding a roll bar does very little -- I wouldn't bother. The factory HD springs were 18-20% over standard, and ride like an old HD pickup truck with no load -- don't want to go there!!

14. Greenblade

Greenblade

What's the 'ol rambler up to these days?

15. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Not much man, spent the summer just driving it, ordered all new springs and shocks. Just waiting to find the time to replace them and take car of some rust in the rear frame rails.
    Been sick with covid practicly all of January so haven't felt like working on it much.
    But I'm on the mend and feeling better now so I'll get to it shortly I hope.

16. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Well boys and girls, I assume there's still a few females on here, haven't done much of anything to the old Rambler except for driving it to a couple of shows this year so far.
    So I thought ild share some pictures with you.

17. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

First off is a little local show we went to. 20220625_114205.jpg 20220625_113619.jpg 20220625_112300.jpg 20220625_112439.jpg 20220625_112719.jpg 20220625_112719.jpg 20220625_112439.jpg 20220625_120359.jpg

Attached Files:

osage orange and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Then yesterday my grandson and I went to the goodguys heartland nationals in Desmoines, only about an hour away.
    We had a great day, the weather was great and the show was awesome! Overheard someone say there were over 5100 cars there!

Attached Files:

osage orange, rod1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

The rambler is still running good, did notice a little oil under it this morning like from around the rear main seal, so I'm going to have to keep an eye on that.

20. farna

farna

Old engines with rope seals are like old Harleys... they usually mark their spot after a drive! Seriously, if it's just a little spot after the engine was warmed up real good it's normal. If it gets to looking more like a puddle you have a problem. It's darned hard to get a rope seal to not drip a little! I don't think I've ever managed...

ottoman likes this.
  21. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Well we've got a problem.....
    Went to a show last weekend and everything was going good, car ran well all day. Only little hiccup was when my grandsons friend got a chair out of the trunk he accidentally pulled the gas gauge wires off my tank.
    So sun I was rewiring it and tried to start the car to see if the gauge was working and it just ran like shit.
    Sounds like it's missing and backfiring a little. Just running really rough and won't even idle very well.

22. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

So I thought maybe I got some bad gas so I drained the tank and cleaned out the filters. I also checked to make sure the fuel pump was working properly.
    All is well in those departments...
    So my question is, what could cause this, spark plugs, wires, points, or timing?
    Honestly I'm leaning towards timing, but I hope not.......
    Anyone got some suggestions?

23. farna

farna

I'd start with a tune-up. Points and/or bad condensor could cause issues. It might be a good time to put a Pertronix Ignitor II in there and be done with those. I'd want to verify the points and/or condensor are the problem... so check everything else first. Otherwise you could put that in and not know if the Ignitor is faulty (everyone makes a lemon on occasion!) or installed wrong. The next thing is to pull the carb top off and check the fuel bowl. Trash in there could affect it. Timing will get checked with tune-up. Dizzy bolt could have worked loose enough for timing to move slightly.

24. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Thanks farna, man I really appreciate all your insight with this car.
    Wish we were closer so we could meet.
    Just so happens, I bought the electronic ignition for it when I was working on it last year, just never installed because it was running fine.
    Just bought plugs and wires, I'll let you know how it goes

25. I had my points "slip" a little, just happened to stop at convenience store. Quick adjustment, and everything was good. Take a peak, and see if they look good, and are adjusted to right gap. Just a thought.

26. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Hey, quick question guys....
    I bought some new plug wires and they're 8mm, while the ones on the car are 7mm.
    Is it OK to replace them with 8mm or do I need to get 7mm?
    Thanks in advance.

27. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Ok I think I figured out that the difference in wire sizes shouldn't matter to much, is that right?
    Anyway, after changing the plugs and wires it won't even fire now, yes I gapped the plugs at .35 as that's what they recommend and that's what the old ones were.
    Also checked each plug for spark, including the coil wire.
    All good there.

28. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Next I'm wondering if I should pull the bowl off the carb and see how that looks. Although while checking for spark the plugs were wet and smelled like fuel.....
    No I haven't taken the distributor cap off yet cause I'm really hesitant.
    Did mention I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I don't really know what I'm looking for anyway.
    But I'm thinking it's either the points or timing.
    Just looking for any advice on what to do next.
    Thanks again.

29. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Ok I'm just going to keep posting on here for posterity......
    Took the bowl off the carb and everything looked pretty clean in there.
    Went ahead and blasted it with some cleaner anyway, so no surprises there.
    Decided to pull the distributor and again nothing looked out of place.
    So I thought ild just got ahead and put the electronic ignition in hoping that would solve my problems.
    But of course, I just made it worse

30. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

So the installation was pretty straightforward even I thought I couldn't screw it up...wrong!
    Got everything buttoned up and changed the coil too.
    Now I don't have any spark at all, not even from the coil.
    Thought, maybe bad coil, so I stabbed the old one back in and still no spark