Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking for feed back on my build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ModelARon, Jun 20, 2021.

1. ModelARon

ModelARon

I am considering moving my rear brake lights and install them in the rear panel of the body. And shorten the fenders. I am not planning to install a rear bumper.
    I like the look of the short rear fenders. But the brake lights in the rear fenders is how this car was built in the 1950's and even though it looks a little hokey maybe i should leave it that way . I could just cut out the section of the fender with the brake light hole and weld in the lower section. Just looking for feed back before i cut the fenders. IMG_3719.jpeg IMG_3720.jpeg

dana barlow, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  2. 2nd picture looks like everyone else.

I think it looks great as is. Have any more pictures of it put together ? Either prior or whatever ?

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

man, If I had a car that was really built in the fifties, I would be trying my best to preserve its history and do an accurate restoration to the way that it was built back then....

4. j3harleys

j3harleys

Do what you like, Not what someone else likes. I like whichever one YOU choose.

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Stop looking at everybody else`s cars and do what you want. Sometimes different is better.

6. banjorear

banjorear

Short fenders, like in 2nd pict, street rod. Fenders in first pict, hot rod. Your car, your choice.

Tman, manyolcars, alanp561 and 4 others like this.
  7. Like @kidcampbell71 said the 2nd pic has been , tried tested and looks great.

what you have looks “hokey” simply because it’s not the norm.

I dig it, but I’m weird.

up to you but different in this case I think is better.

Runnin shine, brEad, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The shortened rear fenders (pic 2) look great from the back, but from a side view, those shorter rear fenders look kinda odd on a full fendered car.
    JMO

9. badshifter

badshifter

Don’t you dare cut those fenders or move those lights! You have a correct period modified car, don’t turn it into what is becoming the “reimagined” period correct car.

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

This IS a Hokey board, ya know....

Runnin shine, scotty t, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  11. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

Leave finders as is, do not cut.

manyolcars and F-ONE like this.
  12. ModelARon

ModelARon

I have a build thread for this car: Hotrod Rebuild
    This picture is from 1963 with the original builder. IMG_3021.jpeg
    IMG_2204.jpeg Here is the car today , work in progress . In 1965 he installed a new ford 289 crate motor

Runnin shine, mgtstumpy, Tim and 15 others like this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The Model A Coupe has its own character, different from the other styles that came from the Ford Factory. You will need to think twice before running without a stock bumper or at least some custom looking bumper. There were plenty of custom hot rods in the old time period that had nerf bars as an added custom touch. That way the nice fenders will be preserved.

If the nerf bumper is not in the cards, then keep it stock. If you don't want to replace the lights, then add in the stock bumper or any stylish bumper that fits your model a style and look.

Jnaki

My brother had big plans for our Model A Coupe that we had bought. But, his goal was to have an SBC motor, LaSalle transmission and have it be a dual purpose street and dragstrip hot rod. That was fine with me as I would be the recipient of either his cool 51 Oldsmobile sedan or the Model A when I started driving.
    upload_2021-6-20_7-40-36.png
    This is the look we were shooting for our final goal. A B/Gas Coupe and a daily driver to work and school. We would run with/without a bumper in front, but have the stock bumper for the rear. (Better overall style and traction for the drags) But, we knew we would have to put on the front bumper for our daily driving to our high school. That would be no problem.

The choice is yours as always, but why fight success of plenty of Model A coupes for daily driving and/or just cruising around? It is a classic style, much better than the boxy 32 series of hot rods. But, only if the overall design is not too garish or odd looking.
    upload_2021-6-20_7-41-41.png
    Here is an interesting concept for a 1934 Ford Coupe. But it has cycle fenders. Hopefully, you weren’t thinking of half fenders in the rear and full in front. That would be very weird.

14. v8flat44

v8flat44

I tend to agree with Moriarty, but you have to do what you have to do.....

15. lake_harley

lake_harley

ModelARon.....I'm in the same situation, considering bobbing rear fenders on the Coupe I'm working on. I don't have the emotional side of the decision though, with "historic" taillights. Good luck with that dilema!
    What I've considered is something between the stock "mud flap" look (ugh!) and the significant bob of the fenders in your 2nd photo. I was thinking about taking out 3-5" but haven't done anything yet since there's a lot of other things to do on my car. I found this thread with a couple before and after of rear fenders that were bobbed. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/model-a-chop-before-and-after.157250/
    It's your car, so do what you want. The purists might frown, but if you want bobbed fenders, do it.

Lynn

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Just because someone back in the 50s built a car a certain way it does not make it a sacred cow. That was the way HE wanted it to look. Its your car now, make the changes you really want or you will never be satisfied. Its a Model A, they made a million of 'em.

17. jaracer

jaracer

Personally I don't like the long fender look, but I didn't want to cut the fenders on my Model A. My solution was to make a rolled pan to drop the back of the body. That way the fenders don't look so long.
    IMG_1494.JPG

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

should have just done a Poll at start of thread

loudbang likes this.
  19. I like the top pic personally.
    The round tail lights look killer.
    One possible solution would be keep the fender lights but shorten the fenders as desired.
    Still preserves the vibe.
    A good side pic would help.
    It’s your ride, enjoy as you see fit

Runnin shine, brEad, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  20. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Hey, I'm a Ron and building a "A" as well. (old avatar pic) Your car, your vision. If you are like me you have studied every Model A build you can find and have taken all the attributes that appeal to you from all of them and rolled them into your minds eye as your dream "A".
    All we can do is show you more examples for you to cherry pick ideas from.
    My plan is to use the Pontiac round taillights mounted on the rear panel simply because I have designed the car to run fenderless or full fendered. (a work in progress). I have been contemplating a 3" rear roll pan with a custom bumper and 3" rocker panels to complete the look on the channeled body. Like you, I am always looking for inspiration and tend to lean towards subtle changes that are pleasing to the casual observer and makes the knowledgable take a good look. One thing that I always liked was the look of the raised rear fenders on a channeled and lowered car and did that with the intention of building a full fendered car.
    Feel free to discard any suggestions I make because...two Rons don't make a right

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the lights in the fenders but unless you are going to run bumpers and maybe a panel below the back those fenders hanging way down below the back of the body look rather goofy all by them selves.
    I like Jaracer's look in post 17, that would give the back end of the car a far more finished look with the stock length fenders. Maybe make the pan just long enough so you could french the license plate in it.
    That would let you just get the pan to fit and only have to paint the pan too. Plus 95% of the people who looked at it would think that it had always been that way from the get go.
    This is a pan that Metaltwister showed that he was selling a few years ago but he hasn't posted anything in over a year. Probably not inexpensive but damned nice looking. Bengels roll pan1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  22. ModelARon

ModelARon

LOL. I will mock up some samples and see what i think will work best.
    Thanks for the feed back ,Ron

daylatedollarshort and loudbang like this.
  23. lake_harley

lake_harley

So....is Metaltwister a user name here, or is that a company name? That's a neat roll pan!

Lynn

loudbang likes this.
  24. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Wow, this is a tough one.

I agree its your car, your dreams, your ideas come first so build it how you want...

BUT on the other hand you have a true bonafide build. One that appears that you have documentation to and one that appears to be in excellent condition sooo with that said I'd have to leave it as is.....

Again I'm all for build it how YOU want but this is too nice, too cool and too documented to change...

Runnin shine likes this.
  25. 2935ford

2935ford

It's your ride but......I also like the idea of leaving as is!

26. -Brent-

-Brent-

I think it's because they're fat fenders.

Bobbing rear fenders is completely traditional for the era.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Agreed. The fat fenders don’t help for a comparison

28. ModelARon

ModelARon

I think i will leave the fenders as is . I could always change it another time if needed.
    Brent, i like what you did with your back bumper bar. If i did a bumper like that it would help take up come of the dead space.

29. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I had a vote it would be leave the lights and add a mild fender trim.

Phil

30. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m contemplating the same issue with my Model A coupe. It has stock stalk type taillights that I have never liked and the stock rear bumper that I also don’t care for. I’m going to put ‘39 taillights in the fenders and add either a ‘32 rear bumper or build a nerf bar. No bumper and long stock fenders looks odd, like something is missing. But bobbing the rear fenders is also touchy, imho, the fenders on the red car are too short. Like someone said, it would look strange from the side. In your case I think I would leave the lights and fenders as is but look at magazines from the period and maybe try adding a period correct bumper or nerf bar. If you don’t like it you can always take it off and your back where you started.
    This guy did a great job but it may not be right for your car.
    22B34411-0590-4C1D-A6C0-EFD50F3E15FE.png