Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest I might have a lead on a new Hamb friendly ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Jun 19, 2021.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Pleasing lines to the rear bumper and tail lights, has anyone grafted them to a '49-51 Mercury?

kidcampbell71 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

See post #21...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Not on a base motor......

fauj and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Great idea!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  5. That would be correct for one kind of 56 booster - then there was another kind as well......

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. I'd kill for those tail lights.....or maybe vote your way !

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

The thing that would concern me is if it has any hidden rust,especially the floors and rockers,it being a canadian car?.i would put it on a hoist before i bought it,the brakes are easily fixed with new parts,body panels are harder to find for them.Did they use the "wonky" 2 wheel cylinders per side that year,I had a 61 Windsor that had them,was lucky they worked, heard a lot of horror stories about that setup,it had simiar brakes to this one,they were a good setup on that car,that was 35 years ago,wish i still had it. harvey

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. CDN FORD FAN

CDN FORD FAN

johnstuartpowerbrake.com in Stoney Creek can rebuild the booster for you

VANDENPLAS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. egads

egads

Just to clarify some information; Treadle-vac 1956-cadillac-bendix-treadle-vac-power-brake-booster-rebuilt-11.gif Hydr-O-vac 144708167_pbr-vh44-remote-brake-booster-brand-new-ebay.jpg Hydr-A-boost HB-0000_500W-01.jpg Very cool driver. hope you get it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. That would be a nice car to compliment your mustang. Not everything has to be HAMB friendly:D[/QUOTE]
    I had 2 of them and loved them.the front brakes have 2. Wheel cylinders per side on the front brakes.

fauj, tractorguy, bobss396 and 3 others like this.
  11. Thanks Bruce .

fauj likes this.
  12. I had 2 of them and loved them.the front brakes have 2. Wheel cylinders per side on the front brakes.[/QUOTE]
    Center plane brakes if I'm not mistaken, a real PITA to adjust if you have never done one before.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m no expert but that may be a Midland booster, I have a similar one on the Model A coupe I bought recently. Works fine.
    The stylists really knocked it out of the park with that model. Beautiful car, great front end and rear quarters. I’ve always liked the dashboard treatments Mopar used in that era too. Too bad it isn’t a 2dr hardtop but if the price was right that sure wouldn’t stop me from buying it. Great find!
    Like someone else said, look it over closely for rust.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. Had John stuart do a couple of masters for me not long ago . Was fairly reasonable on straight rebuild , but sleeving with stainless was damn expensive .. ford single master 90.00 , chrome GM ,early single , needed sleeve over 300.00

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. I’ve used John Stewart in the past

he does good work but I think he knows the market and chargers accordingly.

have had him rebuild and sleeve wheel cylinders for forklift that our cost are 1700 bucks each he does em for 500 each ! It’s a deal when you think about it !

fauj and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  16. Vandenplas, you’re killing me, did you get that fine Chrysler? Who cares about the more doors, that just means I don’t have to get out to send Little Truckdoctor into the McDonald’s for sandwiches and sodas.

17. Hahahaha :rolleyes:

trying to work out a trade , if it happens you’ll all know

I’m more of a Burger King guy myself !:D

fauj and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  18. Me too, our local BK is just not very good!

fauj and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

In 1969 wifey #2 and I bought a 56 Windsor like the one you're looking at for $150. Had the poly engine. Moved to Seattle from Idaho, towed a small U-haul with our meager belongings behind the Chrysler and stayed in Seattle for a year until we couldn't stand it any longer. Drove the Chrysler every day while there, and then towed another slightly bigger U-haul back to Idaho with more stuff. Then we decided we couldn't stand each other any longer so we split up and she got to keep the 56. I did absolutely nothing to it except oil and gas while we were together and she kept it for about 2 years after we split. Granted, that was fifty some years ago, but the one you're looking at looks to be in pretty decent shape now. If it's half the car mine was, I say "GO FOR IT"!! And enjoy every minute (except when and if it breaks down.)

VANDENPLAS and bchctybob like this.
  20. 1ton

1ton

Radio plays one oldies station no matter where you set it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. gene-koning

gene-koning

A guy can always update the brakes. Before I dropped $500 on a booster rebuild, I'd be upgrading the entire brake system, but that is just me. The original brakes were about the best that was available in the 1950s, but it isn't the 1950s anymore. There are much better brake systems available today that would probably be cheaper then redoing the original stuff., that can be adapted to that car.

In the early 50s, Chrysler was way out in front of everyone as far as car engineering. They built some great cars with much of the greatest engineering available at that time. They rode, drove, stopped, and handled great, but there were a lot of issues with body design as far as getting water out of the body structures. Look it over pretty good for rust, no one makes body panels for it. That means either you, or whom ever you hire has to be pretty good at forming sheet metal. Gene