Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Jeff Jones' Ed Roth's Mysterion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom davison, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Not going to happen. Will present a slide show @ the GSL in Salt Lake next May (if they even hold the meet) but book writing days are over.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Hi Jeff! I haven't been here since before you posted the model. It came out as great as I would have expected.

3. Howdy. Been watching your photography on Facebook so know you are still kicking!!

4. SS327

SS327

Is the model a running and driving vehicle too? Stunning!

5. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And we've missed you profusely! Tom come back.

6. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

I've never been to the GSLMCC but grew up reading about it in Scale Auto Enthusiast Magazine. This weekend is the final one, a friend asked me to ride along. I'm exited to see some cool builds on the tables, then I see on the schedule that there is a presentation on the Mysterion, all the different scales of models that have been made, and the 1:1 re-creation. WOW.

chryslerfan55 and stanlow69 like this.
  7. Look forward to meeting you tonight.
    And the models submitted to this contest are unbelievable.

54delray and 1940Willys like this.
  8. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Great show. Sorry I wasn't there Thurs and missed your seminar. Congrats on placing in a very tough 'replica' class.

9. Any pics from anybody who went?

10. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

I shot a ton of them, I'll see if I can get them turned into computer electrons and will likely post them in the Sunday models thread, whether or not it is Sunday.

11. very humbled to receive the award. Randy deservedly wins Best of Show every contest!

I call my winning second in Replica to Randy the 'Tommy Lasorda' effect.

In 1955 Tommy Lasorda was at spring training for the Brooklyn Dodgers. Tommy had spent time in the minors and was a sure bet to make the big team as a left handed pitcher. But there was a problem. The Dodgers had just signed a kid to a contract with a $8,000 bonus. Rule was then that if a player signed for a bonus over $4,000 he had to join the big club, could not be assigned to a minor league team. Thus Tommy sadly was assigned to the minors, never to get another shot at the majors. For the rest of his life he claimed it took the best pitcher in baseball history to keep him out of the majors. The kid was Sandy Koufax. It took the best scratch modeler in history to keep me out of Best of Class. Randy Derr.

chryslerfan55, SS327 and 54delray like this.
  12. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

13. Here is a great model by soulmate Mike Scott. It is mostly scratch built, just a few plastic parts. Mike built the body and frame and other parts for the first Mysterion clone that he sold to Dave Shuten who finished it and displays it at Galpin Auto Sports Museum in Los Angeles. Put Mike on your prayer list. He is fighting a severe health challenge and it was an effort for him to attend this meet.
    Mike Scott - Myst clone builder.JPG

Picture disc 1 217.jpg

Mike Scott 4.jpg

Mike Scott 3.jpg Mike Scott 2.jpg

Mike Scott 1.jpg

Here is Randy Derr's magnificent scratch built. It took the whole show;
    Best in Class - Replica
    Modeler's Choice
    Best Detail
    Dave Shulkis Engineering Award
    Best of Show
    Randy Derr.jpg

54delray, abe lugo and chryslerfan55 like this.