Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevrolet's First V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Who thinks that 1955 was the first Chevy V8?

I sure thought it was! Here's an earlier example.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    scotty t, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. Here's my friends 1917 Chevrolet. The first V8 for Chevy. It was too expensive and problematic. Discontinued early....only 20 examples exist with only about 10 currently running.

Attached Files:

3. Here she is in all her running glory! Head gaskets we're $100 each. A replacement cap and rotor was priced at $1500! Almost unobtainable. Several items were reproduced from scratch. A great car.

Attached Files:

4. Here's the cockpit....

Check out the shiny bits on the engine. They were originally there. One of the first corporate hotrods!

Attached Files:

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. Texas Webb, vtx1800, rbrewer and 5 others like this.
  7. Well dang you answered your own question and dished us as well.........

Fabulous50's, Deuces and Nicholas Coe like this.
  8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yeah, that history was written years ago.

Here's one fer yeah if you want mostly unrecognized stuff -
    How come when the history of Muscle cars is talked about, the supercharged Studebaker Avanti isn't mentioned..? Not only isn't not mentioned very often, but it was on the road in...1963 !

Let's see - Streamlined (mostly) body - check, posi rear end - check, supercharged engine - check, disc brakes (front) - check, return unused fuel to the fuel tank - check, fiberglass body (light weight) - check.

There's probably other things that I don't recall right now..!
    Seems to me the Avanti was right up there with the Big Three's best, and even outdid them in some respects.

Mike

Blues4U, sunbeam, Texas Webb and 7 others like this.
  9. I'm not trying to be negative at all. I just thought y'all might want to see a nice restored example. I guess not. No worries! Happy Father's day!

rbrewer, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  10. Honestly, dad thought that y'all would like to see his buddy's car. He suggested that I give y'all grief about the first Chevy V8. He obviously underestimated your knowledge. Have a great weekend. No stress or disrespect intended.

11. Yip, i learned that back in 75 and still have the book. 288cid, overhead valve and pressure fed mains on the crank. Series D. JW

Nicholas Coe and Deuces like this.
  12. SS327

SS327

It was nice to see such a rare engine though again. And it looks like a beautiful car. Thanks for letting us see it.

13. 52HardTop

52HardTop

14. walls

walls

New to me
    Beautiful car

guthriesmith, Nicholas Coe and Deuces like this.
  15. walls

walls

Can you explain to me the lack of fan? How does it cool itself?
    And what are the copper lines feeding?

Nicholas Coe and Deuces like this.
  16. catdad49

catdad49

I believe this a Model 490, I saw an example in Upstate N.Y. back in the early 70's. Glad to see that more than 1 survived. Did some research and the 490 did not have the V-8. Still a neat touring car priced at $490 to compete with the Fords, hence the name. Thanks, Nick.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    hotrodjack33, Nicholas Coe and Deuces like this.
  17. Truckedup

Truckedup

The Avanti is not really a Muscle car for the same reasons a Covette was not one..

guthriesmith, Nicholas Coe and Deuces like this.
  18. The story I always heard was that they were so problematic that GM dumped them in Lake Superior by the barge load.
    There's a reason why they only offered them for one year.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Nicholas Coe likes this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces

20. badshifter

badshifter

According to the sign, it’s a 1918 not a 1917. Post it on the Ford Barn or The antiquated. Not much hot rod or custom about your friends beautiful car as it relates to the HAMB.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  21. scotts52

scotts52

People are rude. Thanks for sharing this @Nicholas Coe
    If people don't have anything good to say, they should keep their mouths shut. That's traditional!

Do you have any videos of it running?

22. squirrel

squirrel

Telling us we don't know basic facts about old cars is also kind of rude....

wood remover, mctim64, Tman and 5 others like this.
  23. Well I had no idea, never heard of them before so maybe not basic car facts to everyone….then again I don’t feel the need to run someone down to try to prove how much I know…

neat car Nick.

24. vickckik

vickckik

Some members seem to be a bit sensitive about the vast amount of knowledge the have accumulated on their own, without help from outside sources. I think a survey of folks under age 40 might reveal a belief that the first SBC was a 350. I've seen drawings of the Chevrolet Eight but Coe's post was the first to show photos. I thank him for the info even though I'm in the geezer class.

25. Gabby

Gabby

I have known about this for over 50 years. I had a history teacher who said his parents had one. He said it broke down every time they went for a Sunday drive. Would be in the shop all week to break down on the next family outing. It is a beautiful engine.

tractorguy and Nicholas Coe like this.
  26. puller

puller
    from arkansas

Thanks for sharing the photos Nicholas, many of us old farts had heard of the first Chevy V-8, but to see and hear it in person was amazing. I wish that I had gotten the back story on the car like where has it been, when was it restored, and I'm sure there are some stories on finding and or fabricating parts.

)

27. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is not a "490", but a completely different animal. The "490" was a different model aimed at the Model "T" market. The name came from it's initial offering price of $490 (when a new Model "T" was $495). They were quite successful in the market, unlike their V8 brother). The were all powered by a 4 cylinder OHV engine (the precursor of the famous "Stovebolt 6").

Carter, Nicholas Coe and Deuces like this.
  28. bchctybob

bchctybob

Tough crowd huh Nicholas? I’ve seen line drawings of that engine but I’ve never seen one in its natural habitat. Thanks. It must have been an adventure bringing one back to life. I’m wondering if they addressed all of those problems and made it more reliable during the restoration.
    Happy Father’s Day.

29. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't be a small block Chevy v8 it's not orange or in a Ford! :D

30. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Saw that beautiful lady Saturday up on Petit Jean. The owner had his RV parked right down from my rv spot I rent for parking and occasional camping during the meet. Absolutely beautiful