Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Losing my mind flathead running issue

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fastmike, Apr 5, 2021.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran a generator for 7 of the 8 years mines been in. The AC compressor took its spot on the engine and a smaller alternator is now used. I have never heard a generator was bad for a Pertronix.

2. spanglishkings

spanglishkings
    from Napa, CA

Twice in the past year I've had an electronic tach go bad and it subsequently killed the ignition. If you use an electronic tach, disconnect and then take it for a spin.

Truck64 likes this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with most of this; the only difference is I keep my points and condenser in the distributor.

4. HAHAHAhahah!!! one set in the Dist. one for later or to loan your neighbor. JW

5. This all sounds very familiar haha. I'm also putting a fireball in

6. Shutt

Shutt

Agree. I had a cam go flat enough on 2 lobes once on an AMC 258 to do this. Comp check might isolate a cylinder.

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Twaddle. I've ran the Ignitor I for at least 20 years now, with the stock 12 volt generator electrical system, no ballast resistor, etc. Maybe a defective alternator (or generator) running full fielded or something like that, sure. It ain't gonna like that.

A lot of people probably don't understand points ignition setup either (or generators for that matter). They will always have trouble, no matter what ignition or charging sustem they use. I include myself in that category, it took me a while to get things figgered out.

8. RDE

RDE

Be sure to check the distributor cap for a crack that will short to ground when wet or damp and run normal when completely dry.

9. I've had bad new coils twice, new doesn't mean it works. you got lucky changing stuff til it worked.

10. I learn so much by reading through problem-solving threads like this one.

All of the possibilities that could be causing a problem are amazing. But it is so interesting to see how different people think about the same symptoms & signs.

It's been fun !!!

11. Brilliant.... that night time watching for grounding out is a solid indicator !!!

12. chiro

chiro

I might be mistaken but I believe that you must use the matching coil when installing Petronix units and that solid wires will not work with them. So there's that.
    Andy

13. chiro

chiro

I use Lucas upper cylinder lubricant which also acts as a lead replacement (doesn't say it on the bottle but it does on the website). Good stuff.
    Andy

14. In general, it seems that most electronic ignition systems are designed to work best with a fairly stable and "clean" electrical input. Years ago Mopar offered an electronic ignition conversion kit that even specified an electronic voltage regulator be used in place of the older electro-mechanical regulator.

An alternator will do a better job of producing a "clean", stable electrical supply than a generator will. Though in at least most cases a generator isn't likely to cause an instant failure of the ignition system.

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

If there was a technical issue you can be certain Pertronix would have included a warning or caution against the use of their products with a generator equipped charging system. After all, they have to warranty their product. They'd have sniffed out any problems a long time ago, like they did with solid core spark plug wires.

Maybe they don't play well with the fancy pants high dollar versions, I dunno, but millions of the basic Ignitor I are in use, many with generator equipped tractors especially.

16. redoxide

redoxide

Im a wee bit late to the party :)
    you answered the problem as soon as I read pertronix .. put points and a condenser in it , put on a decent non ballast coil ( VW T2 will do the trick) and forget it , Adjust your points now and again and your golden .. I have a buddy that swears by pertronix, he is on his fourth unit and third break down , My points have been in for 2 years, driven regularly and never let me down ..

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

He's an idiot. There's yer problem. Pertronix has no control over that, there are literally millions in constant use for decades now with no problems.

18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I hate to bash someone’s product , but Pertronix will put you to walking sooner or later . The old points and condenser worked well for millions of miles/ hours installed in everything from a push mower to an airplane . Just a thought . I just had my Buds 34 with a Chebbie lay down on him , he purchased the second module . No fire . Pertronix says no way . He purchased a second replacement module , fired fine . When they are bad off the shelf new , I question quality control . He is arguing now about replacement for the bad new replacement . Pertronix says “ you installed it incorrectly” , as usual it’s never the product it’s the user . Hours and hours of of US labor get wasted daily installing and replacing off shore junk . Just my opinion that means nothing .

19. redoxide

redoxide

bit harsh, He is actually far from being an idiot, with several degrees in electronic engineering and an actual understanding of all that modern shit ..

I personally wouldn't give them the space they consume , personal choice , but if they work for you then thats great..

I dont know about the literal millions, but I do know a dozen or so folk that have used them and all have failed but they just keep on replacing them !..

Fitty Toomuch and deathrowdave like this.
  20. It's all about voltage pertronics wants 13 1/2 volts and generators put out 12 1/2. I've already commented on what distributor to use, modified SBC is the ticket.

21. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

You mentioned that you were not ready to give up your cloth plug wires and that they are solid core.
    You can get suppression core cloth plug wires from Brillman. I had to switch out my spark plug looms for Speedway looms as the tubes on my original looms were to small for these wires. I’ve have also been running the Pertronix for several years now with no issues.

https://brillman.com/product/7-8mm-cotton-braid-spark-plug-wire/

Attached Files:

22. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

So apparently the theory is the Ignitor can't work with a generator, but I've been using it and a generator for over 20 years in the real world.

12.5 volts won't even float a charged battery. Generators charge in the 14.x voltage range. Pertronix says 9.6 volts minimum iirc.

It may be their overall QC or product quality is bad, it sure wouldn't be the first time an offshored product went to shit.

dirty old man likes this.
  23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well carburetors, generators, 4 corner drum brakes, 3 piece spark plugs (that disassembled for cleaning and rebuilding) worked fine too, but they all went bye-bye over the years for a reason. A lot of people are more interested in driving than wrenching or adjusting. I like to tinker with obsolete technology, but most people don't. Given that most people don't use collector cars or hot rods as daily drivers they could get away with the same points for years and years without any drama most likely.

The big thing driving people towards point replacement modules is the seeming difficulty of getting quality points and condensers. They pick up some el-cheapo crap from the auto parts stores. That shit will leave ya stranded by the side of the road too, ya know.

dirty old man likes this.
  24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I got my '51 Ford in 1987, I did a normal tune-up (points, condenser, ad plugs). In 2016, 29 years and 20,000 miles later, the engine developed a weird noise, so I yanked it and put in a '51 Merc I had. That engine had finned heads, updated carburetion, and necessarily, a Mallory dual point. It was after I pulled the original engine that I realized that initial tune-up taken me through that entire period.

Truck64 likes this.
  25. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Hey thanks for that! I think I'll order some and try out the Pertronix again. I love points honestly and they have been great in my truck for the last few years. It's just getting hard to find ones that fit in my distributor (sbc mallory yc cut down) I've bought used distributors just for the points, but that will only last so long.

26. 3340

Check for water in the fuel, add dry gas, and marvel mystery oil , just a guess you’ve done everything else, good luck keep the faith

27. Had a miss when running a Mallory distributor found the problem at night , Spark was jumping out of cap to both clips that hold cap in place , the cap was in good shape but was jumping spark out of space between upper and lower caps and the rubber insulator was in place . I would electrical tape around gap until spark stopped jumping . Finally pulled the Mallory and replaced with a stock distributor with a Petronix module and car ran better than it ever had .

28. v8flat44

v8flat44

Fastmike, you might try Charlie NY for points. He does distributors & carbs. He's on here & The Ford Barn.