Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Advice on starting my 430 engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Jun 19, 2021.

1. birdman1

birdman1

We finally have the big 430 Lincoln engine ready for it's first start. Everything is standard size. New chrome rings, federal mogul bearings, millings standard volume oil pump. The original stock cam had 2 flat lobes, so I sent it to Oregon Cam grinding to get it welded up and reground to 428 ford Cobra jet specs. It's a hydraulic cam with new melling lifters. I coated the cam lobes and lifters with Lucas break in oil, and put the remainder in the crankcase. I called Lucas and asked if I should also use their camshaft assembly lube on the cam and lifters, they said it was not needed and in fact would be detrimental to use that much Zinc. I filled the filter, then primed the pump with a drill . It took some time before the oil came through all the rocker arms.then I turned it over a half rotation and primed it again. I have an electric fuel pump and have gas in the carb, timing set(hope), and a garden hose ready just in case. IMG_20210429_114941775.jpg IMG_20210429_114941775.jpg IMG_20210429_114941775.jpg IMG_20210429_114941775.jpg

2. indyjps

indyjps

Take a break and go buy a fire extinguisher (class B) for the garage.

I really suggest a radiator and cooling system, you should run the engine 30 min or so at varying rpm to break in the cam in first start up.

Double check all your stuff, fuel, electrical, etc. Have your timing light, screwdivers for carb adjustment ready amd layed out. Crank it off and get it running, set the idle high 1500 rpm or so, vary the rpm slowly between 2000 and 3000 while breaking the cam in. Keep the rpm up to ensure good oil flow.
    Youll run this a while, would be better outside, for fire risk and all the exhaust and paint burning off will generate a lot of fumes.
    Get it running, check for leaks, set your timing, adjust your carb idle, do your cam break in while checking for leaks and temperature.

Let it cool down, change the oil, cut open filter if you want.
    Fire up again and begin setting carb, bring idle down, set mix screws, check timing at idle, then see what rpm advance comes in, find total advance. Many times the older distributor springs are shot, dont assume its right.

Give it a whirl.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    loudbang, mgtstumpy, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cam break in is usually 20 minutes at approximately 2000 rpm. Tough to do without a cooling system if that’s what you are planning. Good luck.

loudbang, Deuces and ottoman like this.
  4. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I always have the rear end off the floor on some stands when it is a automatic.

5. Make sure to have a return spring on the throttle , have seen engines started without and the throttle fall wide open .

loudbang and indyjps like this.
  6. birdman1

birdman1

That was a picture of it before I put the radiator in. Sorry

jimmy six likes this.
  7. Put a small air cleaner on it in case the timing is off and it backfires through the carburetor.

8. jaracer

jaracer

Do you realize that if you have a gas leak and it catches fire that water from a hose will only spread the fire?

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  9. Joe H

Joe H

Plumb the garden hose into the lower water pump inlet and pipe the outflow on the driveway. You can regulate engine temp with water volume. This works good if your radiator is not worthy of a new engine and extended run time. Being out doors also helps as the air flow around the engine helps cool it. A wet towel can snuff out a carb fire pretty fast incase it goes wrong, have it close by and make sure its big enough to cover most of the engine. Fire extinguishers are handy, just don't use a dry powder type down the carburetor!

indyjps likes this.
  10. 6sally6

6sally6

I'm sorta surprised they(Lucas) said don't worry with cam assembly lube when breaking in a new cam and lifters!!
    How about more details on the inside of the engine?! CR.......bore/stroke....head work... etc.
    6sally6

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. I do what the cam manufacturer says. Or fairly close. I like to have exhaust on so I can hear anything funny going on. But make sure it can do the break in ... one shot without having to kill the engine.