Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vacuum hose

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 15, 2021.

1. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Do you really think paying teenagers more is going to improve the workforce,they spend way too much time playing whit their dammed phones.

2. TCATTC

TCATTC

The price goes up and the quality goes down, I'll bet that new hose won't last nearly as long as the ones you replaced.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. TCATTC

TCATTC

It ain't just the teenagers, I have customers every day that I can't have a conversation with about their cars without them having to answer the phone a couple times. My phone does not control my life, I guess I have a bad attitude...

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I guess five bucks is better than a sputtering gas hog .

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just at a HF to get a few tent spikes for my ez-up I’m planning to use at an all day car show on grass this Saturday and 2 small silver tarps. Help wanted sign was up near the register. $16.85 /hr. starting. That’s $35K a year to empty trucks and stock shelves…

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The manager at the local store is a woman. Knows her stuff. Always ready to pull out the old books to find the odd ball part I need for whatever POS I'm working on. She and the rest of the crew, both younger and older are the reason I try to buy everything I can there. Even fluids that are cheaper at Wally World.

7. Tim, I hear you, the guys I deal with are always willing to go the extra mile and I appreciate it and try to use them as much as possible, I will drive across town next time I need vacuum hose.:) HRP

3W JOHN, dirty old man and 51504bat like this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The nearest O Reilly’s to me has a sharp little blond, except for those damn tattoos on her arms, in her 20’s. I’d rather deal with her than most of the guys, she knows auto parts.

9. X-cpe

X-cpe

Used to tell my students that a good parts man (person) was worth their weight in gold to a mechanic.

10. gene-koning

gene-koning

The last time I needed a vacuum hose, I searched for a while before I finally found my stash of hoses. The one piece I found that was long enough to do the job was almost as hard and brittle as the one I was replacing. Most of the hoses in the stash was hard and brittle as well. I dumped the whole load. I guess maybe I've kept them too long...

Now I buy a 2' length of whatever size hose I need, when I need it. I'm saving whatever may be left over, so I can throw it away after it gets hard and brittle as well. Maybe between the time I bought it and the time it gets old, it might just be the piece I might need. I've reached a point where I no longer need a vast collection of stuff I may never use.

I used to be alarmed by the rising cost of parts, but these days, its becoming pretty normal. I figure its part of the cost of having these cool rides.

Imagine how much it would cost to take the car to some shop to have that vacuum hose replaced? I'm betting the 5 bucks for the hose is pretty reasonable. Gene

HOTRODPRIMER and leon bee like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

At this stage of hot rod parts and necessity, if you did nothing due to the expense of the replacement host and clamps, what if you are out in the dark with a non functioning hot rod, all due to a cracked vacuum hose. If it is reliability and fun you want, that was a good idea in checking simple things.

So, with that in mind, who cares how much it cost, you bought it, it is new and will function for several more years until it starts cracking again. Rubber gets old and cracks… it is a fact of life. Also, make sure the clamps are secure and not offering a leak or two.

Jnaki

upload_2021-6-17_5-4-39.png
    I like the pre hot rod run check list. When we had the 2nd 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, we always spent the two days before leaving on a long trip to go over everything, just to check. I even gave myself three days prior to leaving for an up the coast drive to the SF Bay area in our 1965 El Camino.
    upload_2021-6-17_5-4-53.png
    Luckily, I checked and got the gas tank filled up…the water pump, after 115000 miles gave up and started squealing. It took me two days of morning to night to get everything back in place for our last long road trip in that old friend, the red El Camino. Three months later, we sold El Camino to a young surfer/sailor from Dana Point.

Preparation is the key to having extended fun on any road trip. Cost? What cost, the car had to be ready for the trip… YRMV

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, were you at that place on 28 bypass?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Slacker.

My locally owned, independent parts store has a very attractive lady :D who knows as much as the owner, and more than any of the counter guys. Unfortunately she only works two days a week, so that’s usually when I need stuff. Amazing how that happens! :rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Though apparently, at least at the dealership level, the mechanics don't seem to have any real control over the parts men's wages.
    :(

X-cpe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. Yes.

I'm sure she gets excited when you show up, I hear you are a silver tongue devil! :D HRP

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sounds more like he's the one getting excited!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

Years back when we had a Kragen in town, Dee (female) was who you wanted to talk to, didn’t have to give all the vehicle info just to ask for what you wanted. Kragens was bought out by O’Riellys and hadn’t seen her in 15 years or so.
    Went into AutoZone the other day and she works there now.
    Talk about a relief.

18. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

At 72, I only work on my hot rod, daily's go to the repair shop. I took Hers in for a oil change, and said throw a fan belt on it while your at it. When I picked it up, they said that will be $230.....WTF They said you don't just throw them on anymore....lol

Jalopy Joker and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. I'm lucky... We live in a small town with a well staffed, well stocked NAPA. Those people (men AND women) go the extra mile for the customer. There is an auto-parts-big-box-store at the other end of town that MIGHT have the hand cleaner you want, but beyond that...NADA! Our NAPA actually has parts BOOKS!

Elcohaulic and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. OUCH! :eek: HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Reminds me of temp fix on a buddys car,his Vac. hose cracked an I cut off some an hooked it back up. Told him get some new!
    A week later he comes by,said the new* hose he put on work for less then a hour,before car was acting up. He drives like Grandmom anyway.:p So I take a look at his new hose he added! He said see it's fine an no crakes!! Yup,had no crack,but it was really skinny;). As soon as it would get hot,it would suck closed when needed. New thicker hose fix it up.:cool:

Blues4U and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. Sounds like he used 1/16 when he should have used a 1/8 or
    bigger. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  23. rusty valley

rusty valley

We all like to save money, me too. If its an expensive part that I can save a lot buying online I do it, but small things I dont mind giving the store some business just to keep them alive. Most here are good folks, but every few months when they hire a new guy...well, thats another story

dana barlow likes this.
  24. I think you might have made a valid point, with the past years problems turning businesses upside down employers can't afford to be too picky,ie hiring experienced counter people and automobiles today are much more complicated than in the past. HRP

25. indyjps

indyjps

Sounds like a good time to go buy a whole roll of hose for the scan price of 1 foot.

26. 29moonshine

29moonshine

go buy a fuel hose for a weed eater 3.50 per foot

27. My problem is that although I'm not from Missouri, I have the 'show me' attitude. I like to see and fondle stuff to make sure it's what I want, kind of like picking out a woman.

rusty valley likes this.
  28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Sure. What could go wrong?